What's new

Advice about DreamCast.

Godfather

hi all,
since there is litle hoop with emulators i decided to buy a dreamcast, now my question is which version of DreamCast is better, the Pal or NTSC, i am in europe but since its hard to find old games i will probobly download them online and burn them to cd, so if i actualy buy the PAL version would i be able to play NTSC games?
also when buying dreamcast online what should i ask for and are there maybe difirent models or something, am real new to DreamCast so every advice is much welkom.

Last edited:

Whirlinurd

Hi,
There are some things I remember about Dreamcast consoles. Not all PAL consoles can play NTSC games. But NTSC consoles can not run 100% PAL games because of the 50hz refresh rate. The only way to run a PAL game on a NTSC console is to use a:
- PAL-NTSC convertor
- vga box on a monitor (not all games are compatable with the vga signal.)
- use gamepatches to convert the game from PAL to NTSC.

If you buy a PAL console you can also patch PAL games to NTSC to run on 60hz instead of 50hz for a more fluent framerate.

I bought the latest PAL console when it was still available here in the shops and I had no problems running NTSC games. A friend of mine bought his older model a year earlier than me and he also has no problems running NTSC games.

Last edited:

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
We will not talk about warez and helping or supporting it... sorry, please erase/change the first question.
The second one: AFAIK there are only some without an internal modem out, but all PSO& Sega server are shut down, so I think it won't make any difference!

Whirlinurd

There is a way to use your pc as a server for the dreamcast internal modem. Connect the internal modem to a pc 56k modem and with some tweaking it is possible to stream the broadband internet via the pc modem to the dreamcast. When the dreamcast is properly configured it is possible to browse the internet on your dreamcast. Since the upload speed of a 56k pc modem is only 33k6 the dreamcast will not receive more then this. For some games a 33k6 connection is enough to play them online but I have no clue if there a servers where to play them.

Last edited:
OP
Godfather

Godfather

why do you think we are talking about warez here? i am just asking for help to decide which dreamcast i should buy, and btw i did mention the download thing but i didn't mention where i was going to download it, and even if i download it you don't have anything to do with it, its all my decision.
peace

OP
Godfather

Godfather

one more thing, i found an image of dreamcast i never see before, maybe its old model?
143574.jpg

are these 2 the same? but just looking difirent?

dreamcast.jpg

Stezo2k

S-2K
he probably posted the wrong pic by the looks of it

he might be comparing the eur version to the usa version in the pics?

OP
Godfather

Godfather

Stezo2k said:
he probably posted the wrong pic by the looks of it

he might be comparing the eur version to the usa version in the pics?
no its not wrong picture i tougd its also a model of dreamcast :p, thats why i say am real noob when it comes to dreamcast :bye3:
btw, i will try to make this question legal, so the mods don't delete the post :p
if i make a copy of my original game disk from dreamcast can i still run the copyed cd on the dreamcast or do i need to buy a special chip, so called mod?
and another one, is it possible to convert a image (for example when i make image of my original game cd, with lets say clone cd) from pal to ntsc and also from ntsc to pal? and then to burn it to cd?

Last edited:

Whirlinurd

Hi, as you maybe already know it is only possible to copy a original disc through your original dreamcast console because the discs are in a gdrom format and cannot be read via a dvd/cdrom drive. This is not needed for all models. All the PAL consoles I am aware of run backup disc without any problems. This may not be so for NTSC models. For these NTSC models you need a chip to remove the restrictions.

When you have made a backup disc it is possible to change the game usually from pal to ntsc. If you use the right tools it should be also possible to make a ntsc game pal. This is offcourse not guaranteed by the tools to work in all cases. Since the dreamcast does not read rewritables I can recommend to test this with a working game and when you changed the ntsc/pal or pal/ntsc changes to run it on chankast to see if it really works.

OP
Godfather

Godfather

thanks guys that was very helpfull, i found a dreamcast online for 60 euros, it comes bundled with; all cables, 2 joystick's, TremorPak en single memory card.
and few games: chu chu rocket, red dog, stunt gp, slave zero and the nomad soul, all original.
what do you guys think, is it good buy or maybe i should search for something else? :phone: :phone:
one more thing, i know that there is a 56k modem to buy for dreamcast, but i was wondering if it was also possible to play through cable internet? not that i actualy need to play online because i will usualy play with friends, i think that way is much more fun :term:

Last edited: