Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Advice about DreamCast.

hi all,
    since there is litle hoop with emulators i decided to buy a dreamcast, now my question is which version of DreamCast is better, the Pal or NTSC, i am in europe but since its hard to find old games i will probobly download them online and burn them to cd, so if i actualy buy the PAL version would i be able to play NTSC games?
    also when buying dreamcast online what should i ask for and are there maybe difirent models or something, am real new to DreamCast so every advice is much welkom.
    thanks

Last edited by Godfather; November 15th, 2004 at 18:38.

• Advertising

advertising
      EmuTalk.net
      has no influence
      on the ads that
      are displayed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    There are some things I remember about Dreamcast consoles. Not all PAL consoles can play NTSC games. But NTSC consoles can not run 100% PAL games because of the 50hz refresh rate. The only way to run a PAL game on a NTSC console is to use a:
    - PAL-NTSC convertor
    - vga box on a monitor (not all games are compatable with the vga signal.)
    - use gamepatches to convert the game from PAL to NTSC.

If you buy a PAL console you can also patch PAL games to NTSC to run on 60hz instead of 50hz for a more fluent framerate.

I bought the latest PAL console when it was still available here in the shops and I had no problems running NTSC games. A friend of mine bought his older model a year earlier than me and he also has no problems running NTSC games.
    Last edited by Whirlinurd; November 15th, 2004 at 21:13.

Master of the Emulation Flame MasterPhW's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    We will not talk about warez and helping or supporting it... sorry, please erase/change the first question.
    The second one: AFAIK there are only some without an internal modem out, but all PSO& Sega server are shut down, so I think it won't make any difference!
    The Future of Emulation: Emulate a High End Computer on a Low End System
    Main: Intel Core i7 (Lynnfiled) 860 (@3.802Ghz) | 8 GB DDR3-1333 | ATI XFX HD 5750 PCI-E | ATI High Definition Audio Device | 256 GB SSD + 3 TB Internal SATA2 + 4 TB external | Windows 7 Professional X64 SP1 MSDNAA
    Netbook: Asus EeePC 1015PEM | Intel Atom Dual Core N550 (1,5GHz) | 2GB DDR3-1066 | Intel GMA 3150 | 250GB HDD | Win 7 Starter
    Old One: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ (2x2.5Ghz; S939) | MSI KbT Neo2-F V2.0 | 2x1GB Corsair Value VS1GBKIT400 | Radeon HD 3850 512 MB/AGP8x | Creative SB Audigy LS | 2TB (4x500GB SATA2 HDDs Raid0) | Windows 7 Business X64 SP1 MSDNAA

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    There is a way to use your pc as a server for the dreamcast internal modem. Connect the internal modem to a pc 56k modem and with some tweaking it is possible to stream the broadband internet via the pc modem to the dreamcast. When the dreamcast is properly configured it is possible to browse the internet on your dreamcast. Since the upload speed of a 56k pc modem is only 33k6 the dreamcast will not receive more then this. For some games a 33k6 connection is enough to play them online but I have no clue if there a servers where to play them.
    Last edited by Whirlinurd; November 15th, 2004 at 21:21.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    why do you think we are talking about warez here? i am just asking for help to decide which dreamcast i should buy, and btw i did mention the download thing but i didn't mention where i was going to download it, and even if i download it you don't have anything to do with it, its all my decision.
    peace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    one more thing, i found an image of dreamcast i never see before, maybe its old model?

are these 2 the same? but just looking difirent?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I think the top pic is just an arcade adapter for the bottom pic, a Dreamcast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    he probably posted the wrong pic by the looks of it

he might be comparing the eur version to the usa version in the pics?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stezo2k
    he probably posted the wrong pic by the looks of it

he might be comparing the eur version to the usa version in the pics?
    no its not wrong picture i tougd its also a model of dreamcast , thats why i say am real noob when it comes to dreamcast
    btw, i will try to make this question legal, so the mods don't delete the post
    if i make a copy of my original game disk from dreamcast can i still run the copyed cd on the dreamcast or do i need to buy a special chip, so called mod?
    and another one, is it possible to convert a image (for example when i make image of my original game cd, with lets say clone cd) from pal to ntsc and also from ntsc to pal? and then to burn it to cd?
    Last edited by Godfather; November 18th, 2004 at 22:55.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, as you maybe already know it is only possible to copy a original disc through your original dreamcast console because the discs are in a gdrom format and cannot be read via a dvd/cdrom drive. This is not needed for all models. All the PAL consoles I am aware of run backup disc without any problems. This may not be so for NTSC models. For these NTSC models you need a chip to remove the restrictions.

When you have made a backup disc it is possible to change the game usually from pal to ntsc. If you use the right tools it should be also possible to make a ntsc game pal. This is offcourse not guaranteed by the tools to work in all cases. Since the dreamcast does not read rewritables I can recommend to test this with a working game and when you changed the ntsc/pal or pal/ntsc changes to run it on chankast to see if it really works.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast