What's new

Feature Request

snexs

the emulator is very good but some games (like Nintendo World Cup) need all 8 ways of the digital pad.
an enemy runs to you and you cant go diagonal. =]

CyrylTheWolf

\/\/4ND3RING \/\/0LF
I wouldn't be so quick to say that it's the emulator that isn't providing you with diag movement...

Check your controller and make sure that IT doesn't suck. That is the more likely cause. Make sure you calibrate it as well. If you have any additional software for your controller or controller adapter (whatever the case may be) then install that, too.

I don't have issues with diagonal movement. I learned through using Snes9x that you sometimes have to tweak your controller to get it to work right with diagonals. Had to do it for one controller but not the other, etc.

snexs

i dont know but it doesnt work in Jnes.
the game pad that i am using is "Logitech Dual Action".
the pad works correctly in all other emulators.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The Logitech Dual action has a tendency to suck randomly with certain applications, emulators or otherwise.

extrax

we need chat support during online play on kaillera. It's really annoying going back to the kaillera window and chatting and the other person not even knowing you chatted back and needs to wait for a response. It would be great if you can add this feature in like on mame where u press the "T" button and it shows up the chat and part of the same jnes window

Kia Kaia

I was wondering if the feature to toggle between the layers (like SNES9x) can be done on JNES or if that is too much complication to implement the feature that FCE Ultra had to toggle sprites and the background data (overscan color). Also if I may add the source code for FCE Ultra is around the net, so....maybe that would make it easier to embed then?

pebito

Remap the save/load function to the gamepad would be great. So in this way you can't get up from your bed and hit F5 and F7.

NesAddict

Sorry for a very long post but I have a feature request for features no nes emulator has all in one, I was wondering if it could be implemented for jnes's netplay to be able to swap 1p controls between the host and client for single player games by taking turns. The super nintendo emulator zsnes has this feature by letting you open the gui and the host unchecks the 1p box to allow the 2p to check it and be first player. I think this works well but it would also be nice to be able to press a single hotkey to swap controls instantly but also would like this option to be in the jnes gui for people who don't know/remember the hotkey.

VirtuaNes, a japanese developed nes emulator has netplay and instant online savestate saving and loading (hotkey "S" save states and just press "L" to load instantly and both players see the change immediatley) which I think is an important feature because my internet and my friends internet connection randomly disconnects and causes us to lose progress in our games.

Virtuanes however does not have the 1p control swapping feature and connects to the client via TCP/ip connection which I think is more slower and tacks on more controller delay than UDP connection, zsnes's netplay also uses UDP which works really well. There is a Kaillera client.dll that allows players to directly connect to each other over UDP connection (which ggpo, a fighting game client also uses) and gives excellent controller response but it is not supported by jnes yet. You should be able to find the homepage of the kaillera p2p dll if you don't mind taking a look by googling "p2p kaillera"

Thank you for taking the time to read my request and I hope these features could be added to jnes's netplay in a future release to make it the best nes emulator that also has the best online netplay :D

Last edited:

Jabo

Emulator Developer
I wasn't aware Open Kaillera did a peer 2 peer version, that is interesting and a bit surprising, if I get time I will at least take a look at it. The swapping feature you describe really belongs in Kaillera, it seems like something you would want regardless of the platform.

At this point the future of network play in Jnes is a bit of an unknown, I haven't removed it, but I have the impression very few people use it in Jnes, actually no one has mentioned it to me in quite some time! My guess is that it is due to other systems (MAME, N64, etc) taking most of the interest in online gameplay, but also kaillera.com has not worked properly in years so you can't get a server list for example (altho no one has complained about it). The open alternative kailleras being unofficial, I've been hesitant to replace the default client.

Last edited:

NesAddict

I wasn't aware Open Kaillera did a peer 2 peer version, that is interesting and a bit surprising, if I get time I will at least take a look at it. The swapping feature you describe really belongs in Kaillera, it seems like something you would want regardless of the platform.

At this point the future of network play in Jnes is a bit of an unknown, I haven't removed it, but I have the impression very few people use it in Jnes, actually no one has mentioned it to me in quite some time! My guess is that it is due to other systems (MAME, N64, etc) taking most of the interest in online gameplay, but also kaillera.com has not worked properly in years so you can't get a server list for example (altho no one has complained about it). The open alternative kailleras being unofficial, I've been hesitant to replace the default client.

Well I came here to the jnes forums to request these features because I see your emulator is being actively developed. It seems like all other nes emulation projects don't take much interest in netplay which I completely understand, not many people play nes games online. I was just thinking that for the small minority of people that do want to play a co-op game with someone or share a single player game taking turns talking over text or skype on their own messengers with a personal or online friend that these features could be added to make it not so frustrating when internet connections decide to drop, games decide to desync, or when personal matters interrupt and have to save the game for another time and to have as minimal lag as possible.

Snes9k which is a version of snes9x with kaillera support has the swapping feature by having the host press the F12 key. I'm not sure if thats embedded in kaillera or the emulator itself. If I recall mame32k also has this feature by pressing one of the F keys, don't remember which one.

About the server list being down, it does seem to work on this open kaillera p2p so I guess that's how people have still been able to use it. People are still playing super smash bros on project64k on these servers so it seems to still be up somehow. I would prefer someone make a p2p matchmaking client and ditch kaillera but you still need servers for those 4 player games, but that's nothing to do with what were discussing.

Last edited:

weebeegeebee

Holy crap.... this is my first time having come across Jnes.

Before now, I just used an ancient version of NNNesterJ (0.23). I always stuck with it because no other NES emulator I tried appealed to me, they were either too "busy" or so minimalistic they even lacked an option to fullscreen. But Jnes is definitely nice, I especially like the fact that it automatically shows cheats for games that I load. That's a pretty awesome feature right there. Stereo support is also a nice touch (even though purists will say that it's "not authentic" but so what, neither is 2xSAI and it's still nice to have.)

I was searching and searching for an NES emulator that had stereo output, found one with Midi synth output, and one that did stereo but everything was always too far left or too far right. The Stereo on Jnes sounds pretty good but I would love to see it have a NotsoFatso-esque array of options, like individual volume sliders, panning sliders and "invert" check boxes for each channel as well as High Pass, Low Pass and Pre-Pass sliders. (I read that there was a guy named Scherzo who had done a port of Nester for Dreamcast that used NotsoFatso as the sound output, but from what I've gathered he dropped off the planet and stopped working on or updating his projects ages ago).

I'd like to see graphical options like "Show All 240 Scanlines" and "Disable BG Clipping" (ahhh, nevermind, apparently in Jnes it's the "emulate 8 pixel clipping") just because I hate having any kind of black lines, except for when I've got the TV in 4:3 ratio mode. I'd also like to see support for filter RPI's like the ones I can choose from in KEGA Fusion and VisualBoyAdvance-M SVN926. And the adjustable "SpeedToggle" feature that NNNesterJ has, where you can adjust the speed slider and set a button to toggle back n' forth from the default speed to slow-mo / high-speed (depending on where you have the slider set to). I'd also like to see the option to user define commands and hotkeys the same way you can your controller / keyboard inputs, like how in NNNesterJ I can change the keyboard buttons for Save State / Load State, Soft Reset, Speed Toggle etc... also sliders to adjust the frequency of the Turbo Fire.

And I say to hell with "authenticity," if a feature makes an improvement to the user experience while still allowing the emulator to play the game unhindered, it's a good thing.

s12 . postimage . org/ldcajage3/Notso_Fatso_Settings . png

s7 . postimage . org/mc2g74f0p/NNNester_J_Speed_Toggle . png

s16 . postimage . org/hafizmxdf/NNNester_J_Input_Prefs . png

s14 . postimage . org/tpp9wnscf/NNNester_J_Extra_1 . png

s9 . postimage . org/74az091m5/NNNester_J_Extra_2 . png

s12 . postimage . org/5ld6pezcr/NNNester_J_Graphics_Tab1 . png

Last edited:

weebeegeebee

CRITICAL FEATURES

1) FDS support
2) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
3) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
5) Remap "save" and "load" to controller

NNNesterJ vers. 0.23 allows full remapping of such functions to any keyboard or gamepad button you wish. Tis why I say that full user-definement of commands and hotkeys would be great. It also has the Famicom Disk System support and the "flip to side A / B" options (I was playing FDS Zelda to hear that lovely expanded sound).

Oooooh, and seeing Jabo's avatar remind me of something, one of the initial reasons why I went looking for another emulator besides NNNesterJ. I kept getting this weird "convergence of layers" on the train level of Ninja Gaiden 2. Does that happen in Jnes as well?

Oh, how about support for .ss# files? Because I -was- going to transplant my save from the train level to Jnes to see if it had the same problem, but it looks like saves are in a proprietary file type... u.u

Turned on a bunch of cheats to make getting to it easier since I couldn't just load my save from NNNesterJ and when I got to the train level, same freaky layer glitch. Wonder what the hell causes that. I've tried as many different emulators and as many different versions of the rom that I could... it and Back to The Future 2 & 3 always do the same thing no matter what rom version, no matter what emulator.

Last edited:

Jabo

Emulator Developer
yes on occasion I still come around, I read your post, thanks for the kind words. It's quite an extensive list of feature requests and knobs to twiddle with, I'm sorry to say I don't share the same interest in many of those things, although the external filters I've been talking myself into for the future perhaps. You may be better off using NesterJ if it has all those features already, Jnes is a bit more minimalistic.

Last edited:

weebeegeebee

NNNester-J lacks your nifty Stereo output option, its save state function also isn't as fluid... (A slight pop every time I would save, but no such pops on Jnes, plus that lovely semi-transparent notification like Zsnes) if only it were more easy to locate and contact this Scherzo person, then maybe he could reveal how it was that he implemented NotSoFatso into his version of Nester for the Dreamcast.

And even if the plugin couldn't be directly integrated into the emulator, having those pan and volume slider options on the channels would certainly be nice. Just something to think about, as it is, playing games with JNes is nice but the sounds are quite loud (no master volume slider within the emu makes it harder to manually match its loudness with the rest of the emulators I use) and they are rather hard panned to their assigned channels.

If I could and knew they were still working on it, I would attempt to contact the folks who coded NNNester-J and ask them about the idea of adding panning capability on individual channels the same way that it has adjustable volume for individual channels, but I don't know Japanese and it would appear that they, like Scherzo, dropped off the face of the internetz.

Last edited:

weebeegeebee

Perhaps if sliders can't be implemented in the GUI, maybe have the default pans in the emulator set to something like this? Or maybe have it shown as an option in the .INI file?

I have tested these settings across the various sound types (I went on emor3j's wonderful chiptune archive site and nabbed the .NFS files for Akumajou Densetsu to test and tweak my settings for VRC6, Lagrange Point for VRC7, Just Breed for MMC5, Gimmick! for FME7, D.D.S. Megami Tensei II for N106 and the Famicom Disk System version of Zelda no Densetsu to test and tweak the extra FDS sound channels. I believe these are quite satisfactory pan and volume settings. Sorry for the sheer length of text, but since I can't post screencaps of my NotSo settings in Winamp...

Master Volume : 0 - 200
Vol = 110

Main NES Channels:

Square 1:
Vol = 165
Pan = L,45

Square 2:
Vol = 175
Pan = R,85

Triangle:
Vol = 125
Pan = L,45