What's new

Feature Request

qazwsx

Game Pause

I was thinking about a feature, but now that I think about it, I am not sure a lot of people would use it. For some games, you have to wait sometimes, and so I was trying to use another program while Jnes was running, but it would pause the game. (For example, in Final Fantasy, I would tell all the guys to attack and then want to send an IM to someone while the battle was going on). I was wondering if there was a way so that the game would not pause when I was using another application. Now that I think about it, this may be very annoying for some games if you accidentally click outside the Jnes window.

I am not sure if a lot of people would use it, but just an idea.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
It's probably not immediately obvious, maybe it's not even properly documented, but in the settings dialog there is an option called "Sleep while in background" or something similar - turn it off .. this should solve your problem

Adaman

Hey Jabo, very nice emulator. I've been using Jnes for a long time, and happy to see it keep improving. Though i wouldn't be replying if i didn't have a suggestion.

One thing some emulators have, like the much mentioned Znes, is a turbo key. I'm not talking about turbo on the controllers, but just to speed by things in the games. You know, the loading parts, the boring parts, the inbetween things. It's really nice to be able to fast forward on the fly. If there is that option in other emulators, i always configure it to a button, so i can skip ahead really quick. It's a great feature to have. I like it anyways. Would love to see it in Jnes and any other emulator i ever use.

Liquid Sam

*Anubis* said:
So I guess you are not using 7-zip or rar archives, which are more popular now days then zip. (new 7-zip GoodNES-merge takes less space then zip version)

To bad...

I too would like to second this request

Jabo, Great work on the emulator! It's the best i've used.

mastrboy

would like to have filename of rom when screenshots are taken,

and removed the left pixelated bar i super mario bros 3. (can see it in some other games to, but this is also a bug in ultrafce)

I have checked the rom and it is not corrupt..

mastrboy

dont mind that bar, found the option for it.

But the command line in the version 0.6 seems broken, only open jnes any way i try, (with and without quotes, with and withour short filename, even unzipped)

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Yea, we should probably put bugs in the 0.6 feedback thread, but command-line in currently broken, it probably happened to due the new rom browser interface, but without looking i suppose i can't say

if that's the only bug tho i'll be glad :)

anarkhy

is there a problem with kaillera? when i connect i choose create game and there is nothing there.

then i look at the file NETPLAY.CACHE and its empty, i tried to delete the file, cleared the registry, reinstalled jnes and cant get it to work...

Jabo

Emulator Developer
anarkhy said:
is there a problem with kaillera? when i connect i choose create game and there is nothing there.

then i look at the file NETPLAY.CACHE and its empty, i tried to delete the file, cleared the registry, reinstalled jnes and cant get it to work...

there's a kaillera guide somewhere I thought, but the moral of the story is that it's not picking up where your roms are, hence the empty netplay.cache, I haven't been having any problems with this, but make sure you are selecting the proper directory (it validates things prior to adding them)

i can't test the connecting due to firewall, but my netplay.cache is populating properly

and this is another question best served in the 0.6 feedback thread :)

anarkhy

Jabo said:
there's a kaillera guide somewhere I thought, but the moral of the story is that it's not picking up where your roms are, hence the empty netplay.cache, I haven't been having any problems with this, but make sure you are selecting the proper directory (it validates things prior to adding them)

i can't test the connecting due to firewall, but my netplay.cache is populating properly

and this is another question best served in the 0.6 feedback thread :)

ok, its working now, i think the problem has something to do with long directory filenames, i moved the nes and roms directory from H:\EMULATORS\NES\ROMS to H:\NES\ROMS

Jabo

Emulator Developer
anarkhy said:
ok, its working now, i think the problem has something to do with long directory filenames, i moved the nes and roms directory from H:\EMULATORS\NES\ROMS to H:\NES\ROMS

Hmm good feedback, I'll give it a try

spicydeath82

Amuture Gamemaker
More mappers please..

I read your interview with Opi so i relise that it isn't easy but i'd apperciate more mappers. some games made by independent groups, like code masters, don't always work with jnes i've noticed. I tried to play the fantastic adventures of dizzy, and at the bottom it said
ERROR Mapper #7 not supported. but all in all i like this Emulator the best.

Adaman

Bump for Jabo (if he's still working on Jnes). Did you ever see this? Only been there a year 1/2 or so :p - I haven't found an NES emulator yet that has a kind of fast forwarding feature

Hey Jabo, very nice emulator. I've been using Jnes for a long time, and happy to see it keep improving. Though i wouldn't be replying if i didn't have a suggestion.

One thing some emulators have, like the much mentioned Znes, is a turbo key. I'm not talking about turbo on the controllers, but just to speed by things in the games. You know, the loading parts, the boring parts, the inbetween things. It's really nice to be able to fast forward on the fly. If there is that option in other emulators, i always configure it to a button, so i can skip ahead really quick. It's a great feature to have. I like it anyways. Would love to see it in Jnes and any other emulator i ever use.

I haven't found an NES emulator yet that has a kind of fast forwarding feature, then again I really haven't looked much. I don't play NES too much.

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Bump for Jabo (if he's still working on Jnes). Did you ever see this? Only been there a year 1/2 or so :p - I haven't found an NES emulator yet that has a kind of fast forwarding feature

I haven't found an NES emulator yet that has a kind of fast forwarding feature, then again I really haven't looked much. I don't play NES too much.

In the 'bugtracker' thread there is a wishlist/enhancement section, the least I can do is add this to it so it's visible to myself (i forget very easily) and others, thanks for the suggestion

Nigra_Bill

CRITICAL FEATURES

1) FDS support
2) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
3) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
4) More mappers more compatibility blah blah
5) Remap "save" and "load" to controller
6) Option to delete netplay.cache file from within GUI (pain in the ass to have to have three seperate explorer windows open)

NICE FEATURES

1) Remap "reset" to controller
2) Chat in multiplayer
3) "Fake" multiplayer (press function key, receive player change)

FEATURES THAT'D BE NIFTY BUT LIKELY WASTE OF TIME

1) Multiplayer "hot keys" (Press button, spam "ZERG RUSH LMFAO ^_______^", this feature is utterly crucial for LAN playing)

FEATURES THAT WOULD BE WASTE OF TIME

1) Anything that distracts from other features listed above

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Thanks for the feedback everyone I've updated the bug tracker to reflect the current status a little bit better, as far as mappers I can't guarantee that will get done but if you can submit a prioritized list of ones you guys want I can at least look at it, thanks