What's new

good video card for 1964

ad3

I currently own an ati radeon 9200. It's decent enough I guess, but i have to use a wrapper for glide64. Not good.
Anyway, alot of games suffer from slow speed (IE banjo kazooie when I enable frame buffering to see puzzle peices\conkers bfd bazooka). I dont think its my cpu (celery 2.8) & I would of thought that 100 bucks for a 9200 would have them running like a dream...but everything looks good.
So now i'm thinking about getting another video card, but i dont want to break the bank and i dont even know if it would help.
Does any one have any suggestions?
Thankx :whistling

Allnatural

A new videocard won't help with framebuffer effects. Unless you need something faster for PC gaming, stick with what you have.

OP
ad3

ad3

so how can i enhance or speed up fb effects with what I have? Or can I? Is it the fact that my cpu is a tad too slow for this or is it like that for a p4 too?

Ly Mathews

I don't like Castlevania
ad3 said:
so how can i enhance or speed up fb effects with what I have? Or can I? Is it the fact that my cpu is a tad too slow for this or is it like that for a p4 too?

No, what Allnatural said is if wanna play the most modern pc games you should buy a new video card, but if you only wanna use the n64 emulators so your Radeon 9200 is Ok. The framebuffer effects are slow for everyone.

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
You might want to play around with different video plugins. I've heard that Direct64 is a pretty good one for more powerful graphics cards.

Allnatural

ad3 said:
oh, o.k.. I thought it was that I had a lame ass setup.
As I understand it, the AGP bus is largely responsible for the slow framebuffer effects (writing lots of data back into system memory, which the AGP bus wasn't designed for). I'm interested in seeing if PCI Express helps out here.

Alternatively, a software video plugin should emulate framebuffer effects full-speed, but rendering might be slow so it's a moot point. I'd still like to see one written though, just for the sake of it. :)

OP
ad3

ad3

Allnatural said:
As I understand it, the AGP bus is largely responsible for the slow framebuffer effects (writing lots of data back into system memory, which the AGP bus wasn't designed for). I'm interested in seeing if PCI Express helps out here.

Alternatively, a software video plugin should emulate framebuffer effects full-speed, but rendering might be slow so it's a moot point. I'd still like to see one written though, just for the sake of it. :)

My radeon IS PCI. My computer doesnt even have an agp slot. And yeah, my computer doesnt slow down w/ frambuffer effects either w/ direct64. But Orkin is taking a break & Direct64 still needs some work. It's like my default plugin already & it's only in alpha stages. Cant wait til he releases V 1.0.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
PCI is slower than AGP. PCI Express is faster than AGP.
Yeah, that's pretty much about it... some fb effects just won't work on the computer.

OP
ad3

ad3

Doomulation said:
PCI is slower than AGP. PCI Express is faster than AGP.
Yeah, that's pretty much about it... some fb effects just won't work on the computer.

PCI express, eh? Is that just a special pci video card? :huh:

Powerlord

Evil Emperor
PCI Express is a new slot type, or so I understand. You'll find it on newer motherboards for P4s and Athlon 64s (the one with Socket 939 or Socket 940).

OP
ad3

ad3

So, my video card is o.k.. So what about a "celeron D 2.8" as opposed to the regular celeron 2.8 thats in my comp? I know the clelery D has a L2 cache of 256 ...so what does that make it ...a P3's cousin?

-It's all relative

I'd really like a P4 3.06, but dont want to cough up the dough...

or should I, just to go for the gold?hummm

dreamer

hmm, i was wondering about types of graphics card, i noticed that n64 emulation ran better on my GeForce TI 2400 (i cant remember the numbers, hope you get what i mean) 64mb, than on my Radeon 9600 256 mb. i find this a little odd, not that i get major graphical problems but it is slower on the latter card, and i really wanted to use the glide plugin because i used one of those for zelda oot before and it worked nice. but now i get errors whenever i try to load up glide stuff for any game.

does Radeon suffer in general when comparing it to GeForce?

Clements

Radeons can have problems with certain plugins, mainly due to driver problems. Simply use a different plugin if that's possible, or change drivers.

OP
ad3

ad3

well i do have one more question...wich core is faster for a p4- northwood or prescott?

SubCog

i've found that a good card for 1964 is the radeon 9800 pro.

It is able to render even complex games like super mario 64 well above their native n64 resolution, as I've tried it even up to 800 by 600!!!

I'm tempted to try it in 32 bit color next time, but I'm afraid that overclocking my color bits may damage my machine.