What's new

Cool Dolphin Ideas

as a programmer, i'm jealous over the vast knowledge of the Dolphin programmers. although i have had some cool ideas which i'd like to talk about.

ok the GameCube has over 100 games i believe ... i thought it would be cool if Dolphin was networked with a web database somewhere to upload personal rating on compatibility of games and download the average rating from everyone else. this way, everyone who uses Dolphin shares their compatibility and the average is more accurate. i thought of this, because with PJ64 i found some games would bug-up alot even when it said they were compatible. as a programmer, i could program something definitely awesome like this. (couldn't host the DB though). i've already thought up the architecture of the program in detail in my head.

another thought-question is why not make Dolphin more plug-in enabled ... this is too complicated for my understanding and i don't know if it's a good idea but my recent and limit experience with ePSXe is full compatibility with every playstation game i tested ... it was just a matter of trying different sound and video plugins and their settings ... it would meet less work for the Dolphin team and more help from the emu programmers around the world. just a thought anyway ... again, perhaps a horrible idea.

rezzo

SoberAnalyst said:
as a programmer, i'm jealous over the vast knowledge of the Dolphin programmers. although i have had some cool ideas which i'd like to talk about.

ok the GameCube has over 100 games i believe ... i thought it would be cool if Dolphin was networked with a web database somewhere to upload personal rating on compatibility of games and download the average rating from everyone else. this way, everyone who uses Dolphin shares their compatibility and the average is more accurate. i thought of this, because with PJ64 i found some games would bug-up alot even when it said they were compatible. as a programmer, i could program something definitely awesome like this. (couldn't host the DB though). i've already thought up the architecture of the program in detail in my head.

another thought-question is why not make Dolphin more plug-in enabled ... this is too complicated for my understanding and i don't know if it's a good idea but my recent and limit experience with ePSXe is full compatibility with every playstation game i tested ... it was just a matter of trying different sound and video plugins and their settings ... it would meet less work for the Dolphin team and more help from the emu programmers around the world. just a thought anyway ... again, perhaps a horrible idea.

:happy:

jareg

Just A Guy
SoberAnalyst said:

Actually Knuckles has said that in the next release plugin specs will be revealed in that way anyone who has the skills can make a plugin for Dolphin
And about the first question:Man there are much more games then 100 believe me there a are problably hundreds of different GameCube games :party:

PS: I dont think they have time to too something like you are saiyng or triyng to say :plain:

Last edited:
OP
S

SoberAnalyst

Banned
yes, but built into the emulator ... so when a rating is given, the version is also taken down ... so ratings given for older versions don't show up (or influence the average rating) on the newer versions. plus, if it's built into the emulator, more people would rate the game ... then it would be more accurate. plus you could do many more detailed things ... like only letting you vote if the game was actually loaded in the emulator ... and other things to prevent fake votes and so on and so forth.

jareg

Just A Guy
SoberAnalyst said:
yes, but built into the emulator ... so when a rating is given, the version is also taken down ... so ratings given for older versions don't show up (or influence the average rating) on the newer versions. plus, if it's built into the emulator, more people would rate the game ... then it would be more accurate. plus you could do many more detailed things ... like only letting you vote if the game was actually loaded in the emulator ... and other things to prevent fake votes and so on and so forth.

Built in
well in that case its up for the authors to decide but i think the betatesters to the job good enough for them :)

JinXD

SoberAnalyst said:
It's a reasonable idea, but I think they would rather spend the time coding on getting the emulator more compatable!

You never know what they might add to Dolphin though it's probably best not to ask for new features. Don't want the devs getting pissed off with the Dolphin community....

OP
S

SoberAnalyst

Banned
after i get a job and pay off a few bills, i'll probably code it myself and share the source and they can use it or not.

ViperK8B

Gamecube Fanatic
JinXD said:
It's a reasonable idea, but I think they would rather spend the time coding on getting the emulator more compatable!

You never know what they might add to Dolphin though it's probably best not to ask for new features. Don't want the devs getting pissed off with the Dolphin community....

yea i agree. its like putting a nice stereo system into a car that dosent run, good idea, but a lil ahead of its time. :icecream:

RatTrap

GODLIKE
hello everyone :D.. it's been a while.. yo Martin.. i'm still working on that project i wanted to make with you.. i still don't have broadband at the new place.. who knows when i get it but you'll be the first to know when i do :D.. i'm in sthlm visiting now..

anyways.. back to topic.. this is not a new idea.. martin and i and dominator where kind of thinking up something like it some year or so ago now..

i'm not sure i got them with me on the idea all the way.. since i was having trouble explaining it at the time.. and i was also busy making it seem like less of an overkill.. but i did build a forum and a game history compatibility list database that was supposedly going to work with a standalone program i wanted to build.. that would check the ini files you have in your computer and look for updates on my website.. then you wouldn't have to build it into the emulators :)..

the updates would be made from tests that the general public do but mostly from the tests beta testers do.. the standalone ini checker was supposed to actually send info to my website about resulsts when trying to change ini files to try out new configurations..

i did start on it a litle.. and i had some help from some of the betatesters from the emu64 scene.. i think i got help from a guy called something-shadow-something that later turnd out to be kind of mean to another projekt i was in :(.. but i also did get some help from Quvack.. (hey Quvack how you doing :D ).. and i hope i didn't forget someone.. maybe ren?..

the big problem back then was.. most emus for the emu64 scene where kind of too advanced.. so it didn't really require the app.. but maybe now.. with the next generation of consoles.. it could be a good idea.. there might be a bigger need..

who knows.. maybe it's the challenge that will get me back to the scene ;) ..

:apollo:

zaba_3

RatTrap said:
hello everyone :D.. it's been a while.. yo Martin.. i'm still working on that project i wanted to make with you.. i still don't have broadband at the new place.. who knows when i get it but you'll be the first to know when i do :D.. i'm in sthlm visiting now..

anyways.. back to topic.. this is not a new idea.. martin and i and dominator where kind of thinking up something like it some year or so ago now..

i'm not sure i got them with me on the idea all the way.. since i was having trouble explaining it at the time.. and i was also busy making it seem like less of an overkill.. but i did build a forum and a game history compatibility list database that was supposedly going to work with a standalone program i wanted to build.. that would check the ini files you have in your computer and look for updates on my website.. then you wouldn't have to build it into the emulators :)..

the updates would be made from tests that the general public do but mostly from the tests beta testers do.. the standalone ini checker was supposed to actually send info to my website about resulsts when trying to change ini files to try out new configurations..

i did start on it a litle.. and i had some help from some of the betatesters from the emu64 scene.. i think i got help from a guy called something-shadow-something that later turnd out to be kind of mean to another projekt i was in :(.. but i also did get some help from Quvack.. (hey Quvack how you doing :D ).. and i hope i didn't forget someone.. maybe ren?..

the big problem back then was.. most emus for the emu64 scene where kind of too advanced.. so it didn't really require the app.. but maybe now.. with the next generation of consoles.. it could be a good idea.. there might be a bigger need..

who knows.. maybe it's the challenge that will get me back to the scene ;) ..

:apollo:
i think that shadow what you mean is shadowprince