What's new

My system specs

AVFC2004

Is the following setup any good :- amd athlon 64 3500+, radeon 9800 pro 128 mb 256 bit, 1gb ram, 80 gig hard drive and a sound blaster audigy 2 NX external sound card.

In addition could someone say whether they think goldeneye will play any good with this setup as I currently have a intel celeron 2.7ghz and the game doesn't play that good despite the clock speed of the processor. However I just bought a new motherboard and a new processor (amd athlon 64 3500+) and was wondering whether the cache or any other features will be useful in getting a better performance.

Thanks in advance for any comments!

dreamer

...o_O...i've tried n64 games in high res with a 1 ghz amd and 32 mb graphics card and gotten full speed with no errors. i have posted a shot of how goldeneye looks for me. i heard that celeron was a crap processor and when comparing mhz its much less powerful than say, a P4. anyway, yes, i think getting that setup would be overkill by about 3 times for playing goldeneye..

Clements

With an Athlon64 3500+, you are pretty much set for most of the more demanding CPU intensive games. If you do not get 60fps in Goldeneye with that processor, then there is a problem, since it's one of the fastest prcessors money can buy right now.

-Shadow-

Banned
Is the following setup any good

Are you joking ? That system is overkill for n64 emulation , you could even get full performance with azimer's audio ! :O

You should also get on Chankast , i'm really interested how it works with such a good CPU !

Stezo2k

S-2K
H3ad5h0tter said:
Are you joking ? That system is overkill for n64 emulation , you could even get full performance with azimer's audio ! :O

You should also get on Chankast , i'm really interested how it works with such a good CPU !

it's not that much difference to my old xp 2400+ setup really, it should work a little quicker on xp-64 though

In other things like Doom 3, you can really tell the difference on an A64, I'm running Doom 3 at 1024 X 768 full speed (around 55fps-65fps) on an ancient Geforce 3

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
I couldn't believe how fast Goldeneye 007 was with my Athlon XP T-bred 2400+ processor OC'ed to 2.4 Ghz. I noticably had less slowdowns when in smoke!!!

-Shadow-

Banned
Stezo2k said:
it's not that much difference to my old xp 2400+ setup really, it should work a little quicker on xp-64 though

In other things like Doom 3, you can really tell the difference on an A64, I'm running Doom 3 at 1024 X 768 full speed (around 55fps-65fps) on an ancient Geforce 3

WTF ?! 55-60 fps with a geforce 3 and 2400+ ? I get around 45 fps with my config ! I think that is the effect of the less P.S. instructions that a GF3 has .

revl8er

That Damn Good
That system will not even be able to play super mario 64 at full speed. J/k, that pc should be able to play any game you want that works on the emulator, but instead of ordering such an expensive processor you could have got a better gfx card such as an 6800u even though that one you ordered will be fine.

Stezo2k

S-2K
H3ad5h0tter said:
WTF ?! 55-60 fps with a geforce 3 and 2400+ ? I get around 45 fps with my config ! I think that is the effect of the less P.S. instructions that a GF3 has .

I mean on an A64 mate :) i had to run 640 x 480 on my xp 2400+ lol

O

overkill

I have a 32MB dell video card, 256MB RAM, and a 1GHz PIII and I can run man games at 1200x1600 at full speed. You could turn all of the buffers to their max and still be able to play it.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Mystic Gohan said:
That system will not even be able to play super mario 64 at full speed. J/k, that pc should be able to play any game you want that works on the emulator, but instead of ordering such an expensive processor you could have got a better gfx card such as an 6800u even though that one you ordered will be fine.

B.S Even a 500 mhz processor can run Super Mario 64 at full speed, unless you're using a terribly slow Nintendo 64 emulator.

revl8er

That Damn Good
B.S Even a 500 mhz processor can run Super Mario 64 at full speed, unless you're using a terribly slow Nintendo 64 emulator.

Just a little sarcasm and nothing more. As you can see in my post I stated an answer to his question after that first statement.

Poobah

overkill said:
I have a 32MB dell video card, 256MB RAM, and a 1GHz PIII and I can run man games at 1200x1600 at full speed. You could turn all of the buffers to their max and still be able to play it.

Well that's an interesting widescreen resolution.

SubCog

the biggest factor for performance in goldeneye and perfect dark is your mobo chipset.

I experienced HUGE increases when I upgraded from a kt300 toa kt400. Now days, my nforce2 runs it beautifully.