What's new

Beta Question, (NOT BEGGING FOR THE BETA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Super Noodle

Heres a question. Im not asking for the beta in any way. Im just wondering WHY The beta isent released to public. Lets pretend it is. All the beta testers can still feel free to report bugs and things, but the other people here would love to have it. Yes i know BETA means under develpoment, but Let the community help you out to. WHy does it matter if only 3 guys get the beta, then everyone else get the beta. It could only help, not Hurt. The beta testers can continue to do what they do. I dont understand why this isent done. Explain. NOTE, IM NOT BEGGING FOR THE BETA, Just wondering why this is not done for everyone else.

Quvack

It's all up to the developers own personal opinions on open beta testing, and things like that. When I've done testing for various peoples its a whole lot more coordinated and stuff like that when its just a select group of people that the dev knows of. Otherwise you have reports floating in all over the place, and people begging for more features, and complaining about all sorts of things which are to be expected in a beta version.

OP
S

Super Noodle

Alright

I understand what you are saying, But if the develporrs dont want to hear anything from non friends, They can just ignore everything others say about the beta. Or Put a seperate forum for BETA help, where OTHER Users can help them, no need to spend the time for the admins. I know this is all the admins choice and what i say will probably not influence there decision anyway ^^;

Quvack

Super Noodle said:
I understand what you are saying, But if the develporrs dont want to hear anything from non friends, They can just ignore everything others say about the beta. Or Put a seperate forum for BETA help, where OTHER Users can help them, no need to spend the time for the admins. I know this is all the admins choice and what i say will probably not influence there decision anyway ^^;

If they didnt want to hear from non-friends or whoever, then opening the beta for more feedback like in your first post would make no sence at all. Regardless I'm sure they get enough details from the testers they do have, and if they required more they would find them. Open beta a lot of the time is just asking for trouble, especially with an emulator like this where your gonna be getting lamers from all over the emulation scene swarming it.

IceWarm

I agree, open testing is not really a good idea. Mainly because there are so many people that want a beta just so they can play games, they have no intention of actually testing it.

Jakob

evil *******
I'd say the number one reason is they don't want to be harrassed as Quvack said, beta's are buggy, very buggy, that's why they are beta's, dev's take enough flak for the bugs in release versions...

Actually, you could think about it this way:
The beta's that are sent out to testers are more like an alpha version in the corporate world, and the release version are basically like beta versions are in the corporate world...

A lot of the time emu beta's crash testers machines, the pallette is all screwy etc, someone who tests out software is very well aware that their machine may hard crash on them, someone who just wants to play games will bitch whine and complain when that happens, it's really just a big headache.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Just let think for the chankast releases: a lot of n00bs are bitching and whining, because the 0.25 broke some games, a get some slowdowns, but that's because of the devs wanted to release a version with fullscreen etc. AND now they all want a new version, soon as possible, to get these broken games working again and have some more features... it's always the same.
But dolphin has some very good beta testers (and 1964 and most of the other emus, too) which test these emus for such compatibility things. A beta not only means you can play more games, sometimes it means some other games are broken. SO don't be bitchy. let the beta testers do their thing!

JinXD

MasterPhW_DX said:
A beta not only means you can play more games, sometimes it means some other games are broken.
As an example, Pokemon Colosseum is broken in the beta, but runs on the teaser! So Noodle, be patient an wait for the next release.....

jareg

Just A Guy
JinXD said:
As an example, Pokemon Colosseum is broken in the beta, but runs on the teaser! So Noodle, be patient an wait for the next release.....

Mhm really :huh:

John Carmack ... creater of Doom 3 was very upset over the Doom 3 alpha leak because people who played it complained and thought the image of the leak represented the finished product ... made Doom 3 look bad.

Dolphin alpha (teaser) has already been released intentionally ... so ... i'm confused ... it wouldn't hurt to release the Beta to the public, seeing as how the Teaser (alpha) is out.

an idea ... Dolphin Teaser 2, 3, 4, 5

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
SoberAnalyst said:
John Carmack ... creater of Doom 3 was very upset over the Doom 3 alpha leak because people who played it complained and thought the image of the leak represented the finished product ... made Doom 3 look bad.

Dolphin alpha (teaser) has already been released intentionally ... so ... i'm confused ... it wouldn't hurt to release the Beta to the public, seeing as how the Teaser (alpha) is out.

an idea ... Dolphin Teaser 2, 3, 4, 5

You don't seem to understand. Programs that are sent out that are not tested have the potencial to damage a system, that and compatibility issues will be a huge rage. :\

You don't seem to understand. Programs that are sent out that are not tested have the potencial to damage a system, that and compatibility issues will be a huge rage.

i do understand ... i like living dangerously
i also enjoy eating fast foods and running with scissors.

seriously though, i'm sure everyone in here runs (or has run) dozens of other (potentially deadly and lethal) emulators, microsofts betas and updates and what-not.

compatibility? ... it would be more compatible than the teaser ... again ... it could be "teaser 2". i expect it would take 6Ghz for lots of games to be playable anyway so i'm in no rush ... but i'll argue this one to death.

P.S. i've heard DOS is a very safe and reliable OS (added sarcasm)

Last edited:

Dysprosium

Graphics Designer
SoberAnalyst said:
i do understand ... i like living dangerously
i also enjoy eating fast foods and running with scissors.

seriously though, i'm sure everyone in here runs (or has run) dozens of other (potentially deadly and lethal) emulators, microsofts betas and updates and what-not.

compatibility? ... it would be more compatible than the teaser ... again ... it could be "teaser 2". i expect it would take 6Ghz for lots of games to be playable anyway so i'm in no rush ... but i'll argue this one to death.

Have any information that it would be more compatible? Pokemon Colosseum doesn't work in the beta and it works in the teaser. Just because it's the 'Beta' doesn't mean it works better.

so after 6 months of testing and debugging and work ... over-all it could be worse? well, if there were 2 versions, you could try both of them to see what works better on your favorite game. (no sarcasm added)

OP
S

Super Noodle

Aye

Adding both wouldent hurt. I know the admins wouldent like to get all this flak from non "friends / Real beta testers" Thats why they dont allow posts about it from everyone except "Real beta testers" It will be enforced. Make a warnign that its not tested. ^^

jareg

Just A Guy
Super Noodle said:
Adding both wouldent hurt. I know the admins wouldent like to get all this flak from non "friends / Real beta testers" Thats why they dont allow posts about it from everyone except "Real beta testers" It will be enforced. Make a warnign that its not tested. ^^

This is like ;Please Release The New Version; :whistling

Dont you think :p

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
yeah it is. Close this thread plz, They're just askin for the beta and soberanalyst isn't doin himself any favours too. If u want to fight this to the death, then you're sad. Very sad.

then you're sad. Very sad.

your thoughts seem to be trailing as if you're losing focus repeating, repeating, repeating ...

"fight this to the death" was "an expression. an expression". it just means i feel i'm right and i won't be convinced otherwise. convinced otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.