What's new

Was I Better Off with my Voodoo2?

Jorpho

So earlier this year my best video card was a PCI Voodoo2. This was not quite so bad for a number of purposes; with the Glide64 plugin I was able to play through Kirby64, Dr. Mario 64, and Diddy Kong Racing without any major problems. (Paper Mario was something of a mess, though.)

I have since obtained a PCI Gefoce4 MX, and I was hoping that this could only improve my emulation experience. Unfortunately, it turns out to be a bit of a mess. There are missing or clipped textures all over the place in Diddy Kong Racing, regardless of whether I use the Rice Video Plugin in OpenGL or DirectX mode, or even if I use Jabo's Direct3D. Kirby64 fares little better.

And so, a simple question, if I may: Is it really possible to get everything running smoothly with this video card with a minimum of fuss? Or am I better off reinstalling my Voodoo2 so I can use Glide64? (And is it this difficult to get consistent video performance with all current video cards?) Naturally, I'm using the latest versions of everything, including NVidia drivers.

OP
J

Jorpho

Perhaps, but it is considerably more powerful than a Voodoo2, at least.

Any suggestions about what driver version number would be best? Didn't the latest release fix a lot of things? And by the way, how well do those Glide wrappers work with this card and Glide64?

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Why did you even take out the Voodoo2? It's a secondary card and can work alongside your GF4. Or did you mean Voodoo3/4/5 which are primary cards?

ggab

Emutalk Member
yes, Qun Mang is right.

did u try Hacktarux's wrapper? (it has its folder in the .ZIP file)

good luck :)

PS: the voodoo2 is getting boring outside your PC ;)

liteuser

I'll be Back!
Hi,
I use 61.76 Drivers now from the Nvidia website my card is agp 4x , I dont know about the pci version because I dont have the pci version. The G4 Mx doesnt have pixel shaders but it works fine for things that dont require it . Hacs wrapper works good for me its not as good as a Voodoo for the glide plugin but most things play fine on Rices latest plugin or Jabo's. Still I do think its time for a new card for me and this ones two years old anyway but im going to play it untill stops. I like mine , It was a good investment when I bought it because my pc came with a crappy nvidia 8 mb card . And when I buy a new one , maybe next year Im going for the latest Nvidia or the best Nvidia card that will work.
Or maybe I will save this pc for a spare and build a new one thats what I was planning anyway , its much cheaper. I need a faster cpu and ram as well.

Last edited:
OP
J

Jorpho

Ah, so it can be done! That's good to hear.

The reason I went with a PCI card is because my AGP slot presently holds an ATI All-in-Wonder Pro, which works quite well generally and has a nice TV tuner but is nearly useless for any 3D acceleration. Putting three video cards in one computer doesn't sound like a good idea.

(I don't want to ask very many specific questions, but what is suggested for Diddy Kong Racing? glN64? As I said, I don't think Jabo's was working very well.)

foogy

you can have 2 video cards work along side eachother?? i have an agp gforce5200, but if i installed an ol pci geforce4mx it will help some with new games and stuff?

OP
J

Jorpho

No, you can't use both video cards at the same time, unless you have two monitors.

Two Voodoo2 cards can be made to work in tandem using SLI, though.

ggab

Emutalk Member
but, Jorpho
are u talking about voodoo2 + another video card (pci or agp)....?
the output of the PCI Gefoce4 MX, goes to the input of the v2, like usual :)

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Jorpho said:
So earlier this year my best video card was a PCI Voodoo2. This was not quite so bad for a number of purposes; with the Glide64 plugin I was able to play through Kirby64, Dr. Mario 64, and Diddy Kong Racing without any major problems. (Paper Mario was something of a mess, though.)

I have since obtained a PCI Gefoce4 MX, and I was hoping that this could only improve my emulation experience. Unfortunately, it turns out to be a bit of a mess. There are missing or clipped textures all over the place in Diddy Kong Racing, regardless of whether I use the Rice Video Plugin in OpenGL or DirectX mode, or even if I use Jabo's Direct3D. Kirby64 fares little better.

And so, a simple question, if I may: Is it really possible to get everything running smoothly with this video card with a minimum of fuss? Or am I better off reinstalling my Voodoo2 so I can use Glide64? (And is it this difficult to get consistent video performance with all current video cards?) Naturally, I'm using the latest versions of everything, including NVidia drivers.
I think you're better of with that voodoo 2 for n64 emulation. Even better, had you a voodoo 4/5. Glide64 is the most compitable plugin out there today. The wrappers are simply to use, though. Put the glide3x.dll file in it into the emulator's directory and you're set to go with glide64.