What's new

Beware of save states

loopsider

when playing zelda i found out that if you saved a game at, for example, in the second dungeon using the save function in the game (native save), and if you load a save state (from jnes) that is in the first dungeon it saves it to the permanent v-ram! that means upon restarting you get the save states save file-very well into the beginning of the game.

im not complaining, ill gladly do the dungeons over again, but just warning people to be wary of save states-play the NES like it was meant to be played. ;)

Fender432

Hmm wierd problem. I have never had it I have saved states all the time and restarted and they were always there at the same point from which I have saved it from.

aprentice

Fender432 said:
Hmm wierd problem. I have never had it I have saved states all the time and restarted and they were always there at the same point from which I have saved it from.

Saves states are a snap shot of the emulators current state, so loopsider is right, thats exactly what would happen if the emulator does not do a sram check. This situation is however rare, since people who use save states, use em all the way through, and people who use sram saves, use that all the way through, without mixing and matching :p

Fender432

Ok I have never had that problem and I have done that with Zelda2. and I have Mixed savestates and sram thing.

OP
L

loopsider

Fender432 said:
Ok I have never had that problem and I have done that with Zelda2. and I have Mixed savestates and sram thing.

hmm weird. i know i can do tat on other emus like SNES9x, because upon restarting the original save file is loaded. but JNES saves everything when you load a state, including its native save file.