What's new

Um, I'm new. Very new.

Wind Sy

Wind Sy
I really have no idea how to work the emulators, and I won't pretend to know anything about my computer except how to type things up and make things in paint.

However:

A few days ago, there was an unfortunate incedent in my house where I ran over my cartdrige copy of Zelda: Ocarina of Time with my parent's '88 blue Ford truck. I blame this on my small brother stealing the cartdrige and putting it in the driveway.

I had previously heard of the emulators and stuff, so I thought I'd give it a try. I downloaded 1964, found the game (rather hard to do, it seems) and now I am stuck. I fiddled around in the emulator, and found the game and loaded it. But the game looks as if it's half done. The entire game is there, but the graphics are sparse and rather 8-bit, sortathing. Like, in the opening sequence, when Link is riding the horse...there is no horse, and Link is...spotty. I dunno.

So, any help?

minkster

The reason for this is because you need a different graphics plugin. I suggest Jabos 1.5.1 and you can get that plugin by downloading PJ64 (another n64 emulator) and copying it into 1964's plugin directory.

revl8er

That Damn Good
click start, then run, then type dxdiag and tell us what it says about your computer. Also right click on your desktop, go to properties, then click the settings tab and tell us what it says under display.

OP
W

Wind Sy

Wind Sy
ok, I'll try the downloading thing, and here's the stats:

For the display, it says:

Dell M781s on 32MB NVICIA GeForce2 MX (Dell)

The DirectX scan (which is cool, BTW) says this:

Operating System: Microsoft Windows ME (4.90, Build 3000)
System Model: Dimension 8100
BIOS: Phoenix
Processor: Intel(r) Pentium(r) 4 CPU 1300MHz
Memory: 256MB RAM
Page File: 274MB used, 1518MB available
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0a (4.09.0000.0901)

(I left out the personal crap from the DirectX scan, like the computer name, and the date and shizt)

Clements

First, update your graphics card drivers from Nvidia's site. Then, try changing your graphics plugin in 1964 (Plugins > Change Plugins). Check out the download section in our forums to get yourself some plugins to use, and try them out to see which works best. Jabo's plugin (which can be found bundled with Project64) should work with a GeForce 2 MX.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
And if you are just beginning with emulation, don't try such a "High end Console" at the beginning, try a SNES or a Genesis. It is emulated better (because it's older and longer emulated) and its easier to configure.

OP
W

Wind Sy

Wind Sy
ok, by some weird fluke of my baby brother mashing the keyboard (Note to self: lock him in his play room) the visuals work. Some sort of "Zelda" setting on the visual stuff. (Wow, there's irony in there somewhere, I just know it...)

However, the audio is really crackly, and I do have to get that visuals downloaded, cuz the video isn't smooth. Also, the "advanced" Keyboard setting (NooTe_Dl by Noo_Te version 0,4,2 build 17) works for about five minutes then causes an error and forces the game to stop. The basic keyboard settings are unprogrammable and do not work with this game, as you need many different up and down buttons, as you all probably well know. And anytime I press the "start" button, it crashes my computer...(grr)

Anywho, I'll get the stuff and go from there.

Thanks for helping me. I know I must be frustratingly dumb about this stuff, but thanks.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
MasterPhW_DX said:
And if you are just beginning with emulation, don't try such a "High end Console" at the beginning, try a SNES or a Genesis. It is emulated better (because it's older and longer emulated) and its easier to configure.
Nonsense!
All emulators are made easy to use. Besides, the forum is here to help people with these kind of things, are they not? If someone wishes to play n64, one needn't start with snes.

sultanoswing

Nice to see the Emu scene expanding to the more populated fringes!!

Keep looking around these forums and reading the FAQ's on sites such as PJ64's homepage (http://www.pj64.net/iedefault.htm) and www.ngemu.com.

You'll figure it out in the end and on the process be better at using your PC for everything else!

BTW, I advise using Hactarux RSP plugin with 'Process Audio Lists by plugin' with Azimer 0.40 selected)...then use Shibo's audion plugin selected as the main audion plugin. There's a thread detailing this somewhere....good luck searching!

jessman1988

Banned
First of all, try to enable syncing in the audio options for less cracklies. second, buy a good analog gamepad for your pc or else you'll NEVER enjoy emulation. third, if 1964 doesn't work, try Project 64. It was the first n64 emulator that I used, and it's still better in some ways. It's good to see another n00b, and I'm sorry to hear about what your dumb bro did to your game. in my opinion though, your computer (or at least your GFX card) may need updating as some games won't even run full speed on my pc. just keep trying emulation out and see what works for you. trust me, nothing is better than playing an emulated game perfectly for the first time, heh. well, seeya!

OP
W

Wind Sy

Wind Sy
hey, thanks everyone for the help! It's working fine now.

And due to a tiny porclien doll of my mother's getting broken, she has finally agreed to my suggestion of getting a child tether in the back yard. My brother now amuses himself by eating bugs and grass, while I play Zelda.

Woot

~~*~ Wind Sy