What's new

How to get Skies Of Arcadia (echelon) working properly!!!!

Siro_21

The problem still seems to be occuring with the new patcher.exe file u created.I believe its more of my operating system problem rather than ur installer being buggy i need to do a fresh install of windows in the coming future and see if it works or not.By the way i am using service pack 2 not sp1 with windows xp professional.Hoping for a reply very soon......

OP
A

aika-san

Siro_21 said:
The problem still seems to be occuring with the new patcher.exe file u created.I believe its more of my operating system problem rather than ur installer being buggy i need to do a fresh install of windows in the coming future and see if it works or not.By the way i am using service pack 2 not sp1 with windows xp professional.Hoping for a reply very soon......

I'm using xp pro sp1

The reasons why I haven't put sp2 on:

1 - There have been issues between chankast and sp2.

2 - XP SP 1 was doing the job well and I don't see the need to fix my OS if it isn't broken.

3 - SP 2 is a big security patch. You don't really need it if you already have a decent firewall, virus checker, ad-remover, spyware remover etc. installed.

However, Mr. Russo is running SP 1 and he is having the identical problem to you so it can't really be to do with SP 2.

I am now going to begin coding everything from scratch in a different programming language. In the meantime I will leave v1.3 up because it should be working fine for most people.

I should have v2.0 ready and up in 3 hours time.

aika-san

Last edited:

Siro_21

I'll be waiting for ur new patch and will give the feedback as i finish using it.Hope this time it starts working for me and tnx for ur help and support.

Siro

OP
A

aika-san

I'm about to upload version 2.0

Completely re-programmed it in yet another programming language. If this doesn't fix the problem, I really don't know what to do. Maybe it is your PC. I have tried this version on 3 separate PC's:

celeron 566Mhz
celeron 1Ghz
Pentium 4 3.2Ghz

All worked properly. Maybe it's an Athlon thing. Can anyone confirm whether it is working on Athlon's

It should. All the program does is use standard file input/output commands to write a batch file. Then it executes the batch file. That's all it does. All the commands I am using are pretty standard. There's no dodgy instructions used, and the batch file only uses DOS commands that come standard with
Windows XP.

Anyway, version 2.0 should be there in about 20 minutes!!! Let me know if it works for you. I have to go to bed in about 2-3 hours. Working again tommorow.

Thanks for your feedback

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT : VERSION 2.0 HAS BEEN UPLOADED
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=23418
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited:

Siro_21

Finally nice to hear you found out the bug which was giving the problems listed but still i believe it could probably be my operating system windows xp which is creating the troubles or service pack 2.Anyways good luck for ur new patch and i hope it solves all our dillemma in the past day or so.
See the eagerly awaited 2.01 patch tomorrow!

Siro

OP
A

aika-san

Siro_21 said:
Finally nice to hear you found out the bug which was giving the problems listed but still i believe it could probably be my operating system windows xp which is creating the troubles or service pack 2.Anyways good luck for ur new patch and i hope it solves all our dillemma in the past day or so.
See the eagerly awaited 2.01 patch tomorrow!

Siro

I have finally been able to replicate the problem on my computer. The problem is not with your computer. I won't go into the details yet, but I have found the bug it is finally fixed. Version 2.01 is up. This is just an interim version till v2.1. Please let me know whether it now works ASAP :happy:

Last edited:

dreamer

update on the game - this is just an update on how the games running on chakast. i got to the part where you fight deloco when he's setting the forest alight under the green moon (5 hours or so into it), had a few random crashes, but nothing thats unplayable, ran into a problem as the game will freeze during an essential cutscene before fighting deloco where the forest is blazing.

does anyone know of a place where i can get .DCI game saves? (must be the EU version, i did google it but after a while of searching has found nothing) :p

dreamer

thanks for the help but i knew about that already, it has many good saves for the NTSC version, which dont work. but one at the beginning of disk one with the addon items (which i used) i just need more than one EU game save. or at least one that is past the point i am at. maybe at the beginning of disk 2. i need to find someone with a nexus card and SOA for DC.

if someone could tell me how to/where to upload a game save to online (though the dreamcast modem) i could do it myself and download it on the comp. :plain:

Siro_21

Everything is working fine now and its been patched and chankast runs it well.will try playing it tomorrow and list more bugs of it in the near future.tnx for the support Aka San and making the echelon version playable for us.See u later

Siro

Fina

Funny, I downloaded my saves from my NTSC version of Skies with a Nexus memory card and it works fine with this PAL version of the game. All I had to do was rename the save file.

dreamer

Fina said:
Funny, I downloaded my saves from my NTSC version of Skies with a Nexus memory card and it works fine with this PAL version of the game. All I had to do was rename the save file.

re-naming the files? i never thought of that, at the moment they wont show up. thanks for the advice!

EDIT: i tried that and it doesnt work.

Last edited:
OP
A

aika-san

Siro_21 said:
Everything is working fine now and its been patched and chankast runs it well.will try playing it tomorrow and list more bugs of it in the near future.tnx for the support Aka San and making the echelon version playable for us.See u later

Siro

Thankyou for your feedback Siro. Apologies for the bugs in the earlier versions. It was very rushed because so many people wanted to play the game. I'm going to take a break for a few days now, then I'll start coding version 3.0 which will look and function much better. In the meantime, if you happen to notice any more bugs in SOAPatcher v2.01 then I will be waiting...
:party:

Siro_21

In the near future i will be reporting more bugs within the game and trying some other nontested games which arent listed in the compatibility list.

Siro

OP
A

aika-san

Hi Siro. I'm going to continue working towards SOAPatcher v3.0 now that I know what the issue was. It turns out that the problem was to do with the way that DOS resolves pathnames. I am now more than aware of what the problem was in the earlier versions, and you can rest assured that it won't happen in any future versions ever again.

I've got lot's of great ideas for the new version. I've even done some preliminary testing today. I'm going to keep v3.0 open-ended so that it may be adapted fairly quickly to suit other games (both echelon and non-echelon) that require patching. I will probably bundle everything into a single executable file this time too. The current working version is good, but it could be a lot better/neater, so that will be my first goal. To make everything look much cleaner and nicer.

Tonight, I will upload a slightly modified version of v2.01 with your name, and a few others on the main intro window, but that will be all that's modified until v3.0 is released. I realise it's not the best program in the world, but at least now it's working which is the main thing.

Strange and yourself have been the most helpful people in getting this project going. I think most other people just wanted the game going, and didn't give a crap about SOAPatcher. I can understand that (sort of), but it hurts a bit, when you spend countless hours doing this stuff to help people, and then not get any feedback from the very same people you have helped. I've had around 10 hours sleep in the last 3 days, primarily because I am working, and because I wanted to help everyone get the game going by fixing the bugs in SOAPatcher. For a time there, I was thinking of dropping the whole project and deleting this thread. Without Strange's patch/help and your feedback SOAPatcher would not even exist.

I hope you will keep in contact as I would like you to be the beta-tester for the new SOAPatcher v3.0.

aika-san

Last edited:

Fina

Yeah. My NTSC version saves were named like:

S.ARCADIA001
S.ARCADIA002
S.ARCADIA003

and the PAL saves are named like:

ARCADIA_E001
ARCADIA_E002
ARCADIA_E003

Other than the names, the saves seem to be perfectly interchangeable.

Siro_21

Well whatever u think Aika San you have been doing a wonderful job of reprogramming the patcher.exe file again & again and surely it does require a lot of patience and tolerance.Its extremely tough for you to be working and doing this job simultaneously but i pay u all the homage and respect ure worthy off.
Its nice that you have continued the project and tnx for offering me the position of beta tester i would surely love to be one and keep on replying to ur queries rest assured for that.On the other side i appreciate everybit of ur hardwork that has gone into this project making it a reality and i am very supportive for it now and in the future as well.Enjoy ur job and continue ur work without you this game atleast for me would not have been playable.See u later

Siro

OP
A

aika-san

Siro_21 said:
Well whatever u think Aika San you have been doing a wonderful job of reprogramming the patcher.exe file again & again and surely it does require a lot of patience and tolerance.Its extremely tough for you to be working and doing this job simultaneously but i pay u all the homage and respect ure worthy off.
Its nice that you have continued the project and tnx for offering me the position of beta tester i would surely love to be one and keep on replying to ur queries rest assured for that.On the other side i appreciate everybit of ur hardwork that has gone into this project making it a reality and i am very supportive for it now and in the future as well.Enjoy ur job and continue ur work without you this game atleast for me would not have been playable.See u later

Siro

Thankyou Siro. I really appreciate the fact that you have looked past just getting the game going. Your position in the project is secure and you will be the first to know when v3.0 is ready for testing.

dreamer

Fina said:
Yeah. My NTSC version saves were named like:

S.ARCADIA001
S.ARCADIA002
S.ARCADIA003

and the PAL saves are named like:

ARCADIA_E001
ARCADIA_E002
ARCADIA_E003

Other than the names, the saves seem to be perfectly interchangeable.

i understand what you're saying, but how does one change the name of the save file :p it's not a simple case of 're-naming it as the file name is neither S.ARCADIA001 or ARCADIA_E001. i have enclosed a picture to show what i mean. maybe you can help me work out how to rename the files..

dreamer

aika-san said:
Thankyou Siro. I really appreciate the fact that you have looked past just getting the game going. Your position in the project is secure and you will be the first to know when v3.0 is ready for testing.

i also appreciate your efforts aika-san :p i can tell you've put a lot of work into making this game playable, and its been very successful. welll done! i shall be beta testing it to see how much is playable (hoping other game saves will get round the probmatic areas)