What's new

How to get Skies Of Arcadia (echelon) working properly!!!!

BountyJedi

i must get home after school adn test this i tried it a little earlier but it didnt really work but i think the problem is im using a too new version of deamon tools (atleast it works for soul calibur =p) well and ive also been trying mame out in the past few days but now as so many seems to have this working i must get it working =p

OP
A

aika-san

I'm using daemon tools v3.29 and that works fine. If you find that the cdi contains no files when you browse, then try rebooting windows while it's still mounted. then windows should display everything correctly.

I'm feverishly working at the updated/much simpler version of the walkthrough...

OP
A

aika-san

Thankyou Strange. The new patcher is almost ready. I probably got another 2 or 3 hours work and it will be ready. It works extremely well. All you need to do is mount the cd on any virtual drive and then run the patcher. It takes around 3 minutes, and you end up with a fully patched chankast ready cdi image file in the patcher's folder. Can't get much simpler than that!!!

When it's ready I will upload it. There will be a small readme that comes with it, but you don't really need to know much other than how to mount an image file.

Back in a few hours....

Machiney

aufs Maul?
@aika san:
thx for helping us out!

but it seems that the mounting works only with daemon tools version 3.29.
with the newest version chankast reads the image as a music cd.
it works now, with some grafic and hug sound problems; but there is another strange problem i have while i am playing the game.
its the speaking problem, often the game doesnt write in english, no it does show characters like ÄKFDGÜOPIISD(($ÄJASDFÄOPC and thats the most time. sometimes if i am lucky its in english again.
did i made something false while i made the new image file?

alien{S}py

Machiney said:
often the game doesnt write in english, no it does show characters like ÄKFDGÜOPIISD(($ÄJASDFÄOPC and thats the most time. sometimes if i am lucky its in english again.
did i made something false while i made the new image file?

I don't think it's anything you did. I fixed the game on my own using a different method and I have the same problem on occasion. I just hit ALT-ENTER (full-screen or if it's fullscreen, then not-fullscreen :p) and it goes away. I don't know why, but it works.

Machiney

aufs Maul?
alien{S}py said:
I don't think it's anything you did. I fixed the game on my own using a different method and I have the same problem on occasion. I just hit ALT-ENTER (full-screen or if it's fullscreen, then not-fullscreen :p) and it goes away. I don't know why, but it works.
thx for the little trick ;)

OP
A

aika-san

Yeah. The graphic/sound glitches and the text stuff ups are incompatabilities between chankast and the game and has nothing to do with the patch. If the patch creates the new cdi image file, then everything worked correctly. These glitches happen on my unpatched/unmodified non-echelon version. As Chankast is updated these problem's will disappear. Remember, Chankast is still work in progress. If you want the game to run perfectly right now then use a real Dreamcast.

About Daemon Tools. I have made it quite clear in this new program that you SHOULD be using Daemon Tools v3.29. I hope no-one has any problems now, because ALL the complicated stuff has been done for you. You just need to do a couple of simple things, and then wait for it to do it's job.

I have just updated the patch to v1.1. The program is the same but these problems/solutions are now highlighted in the "Read Me First.txt" file. Thankyou.

Last edited:

russofris

Good afternoon.

This patcher does not work for me. Strange.

I have SOA (Echlon version). I have mounted the image with Deamon tools 3.29 as drive "G".

1: I extract the contents of the patch package to c:/soa
2: I dbl click the SOAPatcher.exe. It says
Code:
SOAPatcher v1.1
Skies Of Arcadia Echelon Patcher
etc...
3: I then click "OK"
4: It says "Your Skies of Arcadia CD has been detected on drive letter G:\"
5: I click "OK"
6: Then nothing. No dos window or anything.

I have tried manually making a c:\soatp dir and verified that I have more than enough drive space. Running XP with SP1.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

OP
A

aika-san

Your feedback is greatly appreciated

I tried using the same directory and drive letter as you have and it worked fine. Anyway, if you want the issue fixed then please do the following 3 tests for me and post your results.

1. Click windows start button. select run from the menu option. in the requester, type cmd and hit return. Does this open a DOS command prompt?

2. Also, are you running XP Pro or XP Home?

3. Mount your disc, run soapatcher again and after it quits with no DOS window browse to the soapatcher cfg drawer. You should find a run.bat file there. Upload your run.bat file for me to check. If you can't find run.bat in the cfg drawer AFTER running SOAPatcher, I need to know this, as it may be related to the method I am using to create the run.bat file.

By doing these tests and replying with the results, I will have a fair idea what the problem is, and can then proceed to fix it in version 1.2

At the moment, you are the only person who has had any problem, so you are the only one who can do the tests and answer the questions. Without these answers, I can't and won't attempt to fix your problem.

Also, you should not need to create the c:\soatp folder because the program does this for you. It won't affect anything if you do though.

In the meantime, a way around the problem is to SOAPatcher your cdi on someone else's PC, and then copy the patched cdi over to your PC. You'll have to compress the image file, to fit it on a CD. Uncompressed it's about 760MB, but compressed its only around 440MB.

Like you say, strange that this is happening. I've done it like a trillion times and it has never failed. Please get back, because I need to sort this last minor issue out...

Last edited:
OP
A

aika-san

russofris said:
Good afternoon.

This patcher does not work for me. Strange.

I have SOA (Echlon version). I have mounted the image with Deamon tools 3.29 as drive "G".

1: I extract the contents of the patch package to c:/soa
2: I dbl click the SOAPatcher.exe. It says
Code:
SOAPatcher v1.1
Skies Of Arcadia Echelon Patcher
etc...
3: I then click "OK"
4: It says "Your Skies of Arcadia CD has been detected on drive letter G:\"
5: I click "OK"
6: Then nothing. No dos window or anything.

I have tried manually making a c:\soatp dir and verified that I have more than enough drive space. Running XP with SP1.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

I think I have found and fixed your problem. I have uploaded the new version 1.2 of the patch. It should work a lot better. There were major bugs in the earlier version. I have also made the documentation much more extensive and Daemon Tools v3.29 is included in the package now too.

Download this and you should have no more problems???

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=23418

:party:

Last edited:

Siro_21

I am encountering the same exact same problems as being encountered as Mr Frank Russo have the echelon version of the game cd 1 and its being detected by the patcher.exe file but strangely the dos window doesnt pop up at all and i am wondering what could be the problem be with.
I am using windows xp professional and after running the patcher.exe i couldnt locate the run.bat file as u had mentioned to do.All the tests of the msdos prompt seem to work wonderfully and so please find a solution to these problems we both are having so hope for a reply soon....

Siro

OP
A

aika-san

Siro_21 said:
I am encountering the same exact same problems as being encountered as Mr Frank Russo have the echelon version of the game cd 1 and its being detected by the patcher.exe file but strangely the dos window doesnt pop up at all and i am wondering what could be the problem be with.
I am using windows xp professional and after running the patcher.exe i couldnt locate the run.bat file as u had mentioned to do.All the tests of the msdos prompt seem to work wonderfully and so please find a solution to these problems we both are having so hope for a reply soon....

Siro

I am doing my best to resolve the problem. I have uploaded version 1.2

http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=23418

If it doesn't work let me know

I have changed the name from run.bat to copy.bat. Does version 1.2 create the copy.bat file in the SOAPatcher\cfg folder?

Have to go to bed now. Working tommorow.

Last edited:

Siro_21

Well this time a dos window does pop up strangely it doesnt stay on for five minutes and automatically exits after 1 sec of its existence and removes all the temporary files created and no modifed cdi image is found only the patcher.exe file remains for me dont know whats the problem but i would be grateful if this is solved as soon as possible hoping for a reply tomorrow.....

Siro

OP
A

aika-san

It may take longer than that to fix! Depends how much feedback I get. Could you please upload the copy.bat file if it was created.

Will continue this conversation tomorrow....

Siro_21

Well the copy.bat file wasnt created at all and as i mentioned the dos window doesnt remain open for more than 1 sec and just quits and removes all the temporary files stored on the c:\soatp directory and the patching doesnt seem to be working.May be it could be some problem with my OS or some compatibility issues.
I have been trying to do the process again & again but doesnt seem to work for me.Anyways i'll try it on a friends pc tomorrow and see what happens.Sleep well and hope to receive a reply tomorrow evening......

russofris

I will ping you with the results of the new patcher when I get a chance.

On the up side, I did manage to patch the 1st_read by hand using the delta and diff tool provided. Made a cdi with the batch file that fastboot provided and all was well. SOA plays on Chankast now (but not on the Dreamcast).

Thank you for the support,
Frank

OP
A

aika-san

russofris said:
I will ping you with the results of the new patcher when I get a chance.

On the up side, I did manage to patch the 1st_read by hand using the delta and diff tool provided. Made a cdi with the batch file that fastboot provided and all was well. SOA plays on Chankast now (but not on the Dreamcast).

Thank you for the support,
Frank

Thankyou Frank,

Just got home from work.

I have been unable to replicate the problem here. I even tried wierd long pathnames with spaces and exclamataion marks but it never fails to work.

I am happy you were able to get Skies running by hand. However, I would really appreciate if you could keep in contact and continue testing SOAPatcher so I can release a bug free version.

I think the problem is related to the programming language I have used to write the SOAPatcher program with. If the copy.bat file is not being created in the SOAPatcher\cfg\ folder then there is only one reason for that, and that is that your PC is not supporting the file input/output commands which the language provides. Now, I don't know why this is, because they work fine on mine and I'm running XP Pro SP1 too. The program deletes the copy.bat file before it patches your game, but leaves it there when finished, so it should be there unless these instructions I am using aren't supported on your PC.

Anyway, I have recompiled the program to v1.3 using a different programming language. Try that and let me know if it works. If it doesn't, I will re-write the whole program from scratch using another programming language.

aika-san

Last edited: