What's new

How to get Skies Of Arcadia (echelon) working properly!!!!

n00by duddy

Vyse said:
Can i do somethings with my translate?

"FGdkf kjfdngvireuhg dl gndfkiug gdyufhpjo pjoe igudr hs gsu6e fd pjg" -- is it normal?

you can fix the bad text by enabling one of the write options (can't remember which)

Ruddrage

Cd 2

I have a question for those that have SOA working fine. I am unable to mount the patched images using Deamon tools (causes BSOD) so I use a trick that I found a couple of months ago to get the image mounting correctly using Alcohol.

The first CD works fine but I am unsure if the second CD is working correctly. If you mount the second CD and don't have a save file, what happens when you start the emulator?

Ruddrage

thehaunt

jareg said:
Originally Posted by jareg
Ok i tried your patch but i have a problem
When i push Start Patching then it will never finish
I am using deamon tools 3.29 and the first cd
The time stays on the first bar

aika-san said:
That's strange. Could you please do the following. Start doing it as normal, and click 'Begin Patching'. Now browse into the SOAPatcher cfg folder. You should find a number of files have been created here named CDPatch1.bat, CDPatch2.bat, etc.... Can you please upload those?

I am having the same issue as jareg, but the suggestion of putting the patcher in a root folder didn't help. Its in folder c:\soap\

When I look in the c:\soatp\ folder there are three files and a "Data" folder taking up around 640mb. The filenames are : ip.bin, cd1_1st_read.dlt and cd2_1st_read.dlt, the latter files are 3,364kb each . Any thoughts?

ps. uploaded the cdpatch bat files if it will help

Last edited:

flacon699

Help

I've got the emulator and Skies of Arcadia... When I run it normally it doesn't work just crashes... I've managed to screw around with enough stuff here that I get by the Dreamcast screen but then I just get a blank screen with music. Can somebody e-mail intructions on how to get it to work or send me a working version? Anything to help? Email me @ [email protected]

Stelard

Ruddrage said:
I am unable to mount the patched images using Deamon tools (causes BSOD) so I use a trick that I found a couple of months ago to get the image mounting correctly using Alcohol.

The first CD works fine but I am unsure if the second CD is working correctly. If you mount the second CD and don't have a save file, what happens when you start the emulator?

The second disk doesn't have an intro, it just has the start screen and the option to continue a saved game, from memory of how it worked on the DC.

I also have the BSoD problem with the suggested version of Daemon Tools. Later versions work fine, but they can't mount the images correctly. Could you relate this method you used to get the images mounting with Alcohol?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
The BSOD is a known problem with older versions of DT. It is caused by the same reason that I/O errors occur. It has to do with the way some games were made self-bootable.
Anyway, each time you get the BSOD and restart Windows you can play the game (you won't get another BSOD for a while).

The best way to make a game with I/O errors run is to burn it to a CD and create a new Nero or CloneCD image from this CD. Converting the image to another format without burning it to a disk may result in compatibility problems...

Last edited:

wren44

there is one thing i am having problems with the (echelon version), and that is the sound is ether chopy or loads all the wrong parts and plays wrong, other than that, it runs fine, some times the graphics load weirdly, but not enough to put me off, i was wondering, dose the Original version, from what i have heard is around 1GB per disc, dose that play perfect or at least better than (echelon version)??? if dose, then i'll have to work on some how getting my self a broadband adaptor for my DC to rip it over...
but if there is a way to fix, or something for the music to load fine, could some one help? if there isn't, thats ok, i'll guess i'll have to live with it...

diablo2121

teh diAbLo
We'll just have to wait until the next release. You could burn it and play it on a Dreamcast for better results, but if that's not a possible option than waiting is. Sorry.

noals

hi there
i have some probleme with daemon tool 3.29
i uninstalled my current version then i installed the version with the patch but got an "language no found' error, a thing like that so i tryed to download the msi file from the d-tool team archive for another try, after instalation, my pc booted at all startup so i dont know what to do.
i know i can patch the soa iso file with this version of d-tool i have but i will also have the i/o error.

is there another d-tool version working or a thing i can do ?
thx
ciao

comegalletas

Problem with crashes

Hi there.. I follow all the instructions on the SOA patcher, and I was able to play the game. But now I have a crash on the ship battle with The Linx just after the red Gigas. And I cant seem to continue from there.

Does someone else have the same problem ?? Im using the Elchelion patched iso, and Chankast Alpha 025. Win Xp and a Nvidia FX5700 Card...

All else on the games is ok, but I cant continue from there it always crashes..

\\Well seems like I made it thru, I just slow the game, I get the CPU down to 210 and from there I was able to start figthing the Lynx. Also I turned on the VMS sound ?? Weird. Well now it works fine. And I can continue this great game. Thanks //

Last edited:

Kaos6

it did that for me too, just keep playing it over til you get past it. theres going to be alot of times your going to have to do that. theres a major bug in the town by where you fight the blue gigas too, it seems to have to do with the sound. ive found you can tell when its going to freeze, by how the music sounds.

my problem is i cant get disk 2 to work. it wont register as the second disk, the intro wont load.

*edit*
well...after reading back a few pages i saw that aika-san mentioned to run cdcheck on the unpatched file and i got an error with
"error win32 Data error (cyclic redundancy check). (code: 23) E:\SOUND\M04S.P16"

and also
"note hash Processing tested only file readability because no hash file(s) were found (code: 54)

i guess that is my problem....now to figure out how to fix it.

Last edited:
OP
A

aika-san

Here's a couple of things to try.

1) There's a program called cdmage which can possibly repair minor errors like this. This is the easy option, but it might not work on the cdi correctly. Don't trust it. Best way is to check yourself to make sure the error is fixed by attempting to play the cdi. Keep a copy of the original corrupted cdi just in case you need to go back and try a different method, like this next one.

2) Since your error is a sound file, you could try replacing the file with a copy of a different sound file from the same folder which is not corrupted and rename it to M04S.P16. A quick explanation: Mount the corrupted image with DTools and copy the contents onto your hd. Replace the corrupted file with an uncorrupted one and rebuild the cdi with fastboot or exoboot making sure you give it the identical volume name of the corrupted version. Make certain you keep a copy of the unmodified corrupted cdi just in case you screw up completely. That way you can go back to it and start again if need be. Note that this is just an overview of the technique. In reality you'll probably need to fart around a bit to get it working. I did a similar file-juggling thing to this and managed to fix a corrupted/crashing Grandia2. It's not the best option but it will work if done correctly. In the end it means that one of your sounds will play differently, but at least you will be able to continue with the game.

Hope this helps.

Kaos6

thanks for your reply.

well i got a different cd 2 and checked it and came up with no errors, but it stil came up with this "note hash Processing tested only file readability because no hash file(s) were found (code: 54)"

the game still wont load the newer 2nd disk. im trying another time to get it, i hope it works cuz ive really gotten into the story and game play of this game. ive even tried loading the 1st to the load screen then pause the emu and load the second, then unpause but it says its the wrong disk.

*edit*

never mind, that other file i got just needed to be patched, i had a feeling the first one i had was missing some files and i was right. so....its all good. thanks for your help though. :party:

Last edited:
OP
A

aika-san

Great to hear you have SoA working properly now. :icecream:

About the "Processing tested only file readability" thing with cdcheck. that's not really an error. it's just telling you that it is only testing whether the cd is readable. this testing will still pick up any errors though. there's another type of check that cdcheck can do which compares a source cd to a copy and notes any differences between the 2. this comparison can be used to make certain that the 2 cd's are identical in every respect regardless of read errors. basically, if that's the only message that cdcheck gives then everything is fine. when you come across a cd which has real errors, don't immediately assume it's stuffed though. some cd's (notably playstation) have deliberate errors all over the cd. these errors are used as a method of copy protection which is based on the false belief that cdburners cannot copy errors.

Anyway, the main thing is that soa works now. :happy: Seeya.

Ninja-Samwray

I'm going to ressurect this topic ;D

I've just patched SOA successfully (without using any of the tips listed here, only used the manual that comes with the file) and it's running with some problems:
1- the sound is weird (but again, it's not a DC so I think I can't really make any comparisons) and sometimes you can't really listen to the music (comes back to normal after screen changes)
2- the colors are stupidly dark (yep, I checked other games, it's the only one)
3- sometimes there are missing polygons (ie: you can see inside a ship or through the clouds while flying the ships)
If someone can give me directions on how to solve at least the dark colors problem I'd be happy.
Now some minor bugs I've noticed:
a- the subtitles change from english to some unknown language (it USUALLY comes back after the scene changes, sometimes a restart is needed).
b- you get stuck EVERYWHERE... That moonstone mine glitch can be felt everywhere (you can even get stuck in nowhere - like, there is no wall or object and you get stuck)... I thought about trying to use the same strategy of the mine and it worked on all cases.

If someone reads and answers this topic I'd appreciate if you send me an e-mail warning ([email protected]). Thanks.

Oh yeah, you just CAN'T use any other versions of Daemon Tools to patch... I've tried many and only 3.29 did it without further problems xD
Also, using short folder depth is wise and, if you have problems patching both CDs, try patching only one then the other... Worked here.

Hope someone sees this ;D

Dark Mits

Eternal Darkness
I don't want to be the "bad guy" but you should read the FAQ in the SOAPatcher file. It explains mostly everything, including both of your questions. Guys, read the instruxions first!

-The weird language you say can be resolved by Alt-Entering (or if you are new to the computer area, enter/exit fullscreen mode). This fixes it. Then again re-Alt-Enter to return to the desired state.
-Stucking everywhere is something that can be resolved by starting to walk/run in a directional direction (forward-right works for my keyboard).

The first 3 problems you mention are Chankast known issues (or bugs? I don't know which term I should use...). Wait patiently for a new version as everyone does.

Asking someone to drop you an e-mail so that you get yourself to read the topic again is very selfish. You ask someone, wait for an answer where you asked.

zrouda

hi
i'm going to buy a new notebook, and i just wanna ask you if skies of arcadia will work on it.
it's a centrino 2.ghz
and has 1024 mb ram
and the graphic card is the ati x600 64mb
does skies of arcadia will work?

-indecisive-

should've said this earlier, but thanks a lot, guys!
this patch helped heaps

yo^,
i'm not sure how fast centrinos are, but i think your 2ghz centrino is good enough for skies. you have plenty of ram, and youre vid card is ok.
you'll probably get better performance if you get a notebook with a beefier cpu and better gpu, but then you won't have a nice slim centrino notebook, eh :p i don't like heavy notebooks myself.

anyone else?

Last edited:

jc2k301

Problem :-/

Did the patch, Um...it says to set Cable type to VGA, well I did and when it boots up I get an error of it saying wrong cable type, well just to see if the other type worked it did, well after the Echelon cheat screen, when I hit start, it freezes. How do I fix this?