What's new

ram question...

foogy

im wondering if i can mix ram. i have 1 stick of 512mb ram @ 333mhz in my pc currently, but i still have the 128mb stick of 128mb ram @ 266mhz.... id like to use the other stick of ram, but im not sure if i can mix types of ram.. any help would be appreciated.

specs are in sig.

edit. thats wierd my sig isnt showing... anyways

OS: Windows XP Home, CPU: Athlon 2400+ @ 2.0ghz, HDD: 40gb4500rpms 160gb7200rpms, RAM: 512mb ddr ram, Video Card: GeForce FX 5200 128mb w/ S-Video-Out, Other: CDRW Drive, 16x DVD Drive, 3.5" floppy drive, 17" Display, 27" TV, Axis Gamepad, Xbox Controller Adapter, Nyko Airflo mouse

Last edited:
O

overkill

I'm no expert, but I think that would depend on you mobo. It may or may not be able to support that. It's usually best to match your ram sticks in any way you can. Adding a 128-266 stick to your system may hurt more then help. You can always try the trial and error method.

OP
foogy

foogy

im afraid that something might screwup if i try it so i want to know if its ok that i do it... thanks dude

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
It'll likely do one of a couple things:

1: Wont boot up. Just give a blinking light on your monitor or something.

2: lower the speed of the fastest ram to the speed of your slowest ram.

Your choice though if you want to try it. :)
- Modem

revl8er

That Damn Good
Most of the time when you do that it lowers the speed of the higher ram so I wouldn't recommend doing it.

OP
foogy

foogy

alright i won't use it. thanks guys, ill just give it to my friend...

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
well, if you're lucky, your 266 ram will be able to overclock to 333 mhz, but the 128mb is so little that i wouldn't bother.

altharic

Fruit Machine Emulator Geek
Your 2400+ runs at a FSB of 266Mhz (normally) the ram at 333 Mhz will be underclocked to 266 and if you add the 128MB it will run at 266 therefore the system will be stable provided you don't overclock.

I have two sticks of 2100 ram (266) and a stick of 2700 (333) working in perfect harmony problems only arise when you push over the limit that a compontent is rated at.

My Two cents, I say stick it in ;)

Altharic

Jigga0o7

Overclocking Junkie
Set your fsb to 133 and set ram ratio to 1:1.

Then the ram will boot at "266mhz" just fine.

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
Far as i understand it Ram is supposed to underclock to the lowest ram speed available automatically so that all the ram are at the same speed.

Shove your faster/slower ram in if you like it'll run at the same speed as the rest.

Next time you have the chance try it anyway, if it doesn't work take it out, your pc isn't going to explode unless you remove the heatsink and fan from the cpu... then it might

OP
foogy

foogy

i bought my pc from compaq so i cant overclock my pc....:( yes, my fsb is 266mhz... i guess ill give it a try, i dont like doing anything new to my pc until i learn more about it

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well rest assured it wont damage the PC, the worst that can happen is it wont boot and you will have to remove the chip.