What's new

hardware recommendation

marf

Do you guys (authors) think that an athlon xp 1600+ will be fast enough to run EVERY game by the time the final :( version of pj64 is out?
I know its a tough question to ask but how much more power could you need?

thanks in advance

Rice

Emulator Developer
hm, everyone gets so fast PC, I should also upgrade mine.

ya, PJ is very fast, your pc should be more than enough. Just could be a little slow to run Apollo!

Rice is looking at Azimer.

Martin

Administrator
marf: be sure to even out your computer specs (in case you're buying a completely new computer) so that you won't have a bottleneck in the graphics cards, for instance.

If you're going to buy a new computer, I suggest the processor you mentioned, a Radeon 8500 or GeForce 3 TI-500 (or TI-200, which is much cheaper at nearly the same performance). Be sure to throw in 256 Mb or RAM as well, it's pretty cheap. I hope that'll help. :D

OP
M

marf

thx for the advice...
one more question though
do you think more than 256MB DDR really boosts performance?
cause im gonna put 256 in and i heard that more than 256 won't give you much more performance

Smiff

Emutalk Member
this Q always cracks me up... what are you going to do if it isn't? Buy a faster one? Not buy one? Buy a console? Do you want to play every game? There's an awful lot of really sh*te ones for 64.

Buy however much RAM you're going to use.

Martin

Administrator
Anything less than 128 Mb of RAM these days is not recommended. Having 256 Mb of RAM, for instance, wouldn't boost your performance too much (at all?) from 128 Mb in an emulator if you don't have any other applications open, but it's cheap, and it's suggested if you run Win XP, for instance.

OP
M

marf

Well Smiff, i have the n64 console and a z64 and a gamecube etc... so this is not my sole outlet for gaming. Usually the good games require the high sys. req. (sans JFG) so i do not want to play every game... just the good ones.
I don't use the RAM, WinXP does therefore i cannot dictate how much RAM "I" will use so i was bouncing the idea off the boards

/me grins... ok money no onbject go for the athlon 1900+ with a Geforce 3 TI and 256MB DDR cas 2 RAM, one thing that most people forget the motherboard... make sure its a KT266A (by abit, epox or asus), that machine will run anything you throw at it... including PJ... but to be honest with all games listed as supported... my lowly 1.2ghz tbird and GTS seem to manage fine :)

sk8bloke22

roll for life
u can get some real cheap high-end systems now. in the UK anyway its a great time to buy, i only wish i had the money to do so, although im quite happy already with my athlon. for winxp u will need AT LEAST 256 ram. the DDR is faster, but u probably wont notice the difference (although u can still get cheap deals with a DDR motherboard, etc). should be fine for even games like goldeneye which require a high system spec. although by the time pj64 comes out hopefully the spec barrier will go down a bit, considering gmaes like perfect dark and goldeneye seem to require a 1.2ghz athlon for good performance.

Martin

Administrator
sytaylor said:
/me grins... ok money no onbject go for the athlon 1900+ with a Geforce 3 TI and 256MB DDR cas 2 RAM, one thing that most people forget the motherboard... make sure its a KT266A (by abit, epox or asus), that machine will run anything you throw at it... including PJ... but to be honest with all games listed as supported... my lowly 1.2ghz tbird and GTS seem to manage fine :)

If money is no object, then yes. Otherwise, buying the absolute newest stuff is the stupidest thing one can do.

Hades

are ok at have geforce 2 mx 400 64 and

are ok at have geforce 2 mx 400 64 and 256 mb ram and 1000 mhz and pentium 3 windows 98

OP
M

marf

does anyone know if the Soyo Dragon plus motherboard can take pc2400 ddr RAM?