What's new

GFX Plugin feature request: 'don't filter' (like in eVoodoo 4.X)

jelbo

Nintendo emulation fanatic!
Hi,

I recently noticed a feature in eVoodoo 4.x (don't remember exact version). In the Control Panel config window (using the .cpl file in %windir%\system32) you could choose a post processing mode for the graphics. Since I don't own a very good gfx card I chose Don't filter and I'm VERY pleased with the results.

I have several reasons for it;

-it runs faster since the textures used in N64 games are rather small, and with the don't filter option the gfx card doesn't have to smooth them out.

-it's a very good option if you want to rip sprites; 2D sprites are displayed as they are stored in the cartridge.

-2D sprites aren't filtered (as with a real N64). This difference is very obvious. Compare the on screen icons of Super Mario 64 (health, coins, stars, etc.) with Glide64 and eVoodoo 4.X with the don't filter option and with Jabo's D3D 1.6.1 for example. Jabo's plugin (as well as many others) filter 2D sprites and make them look ugly (in my opinion).

Since I really like hard pixels and performance I'd like to see an option like 'Don't filter' in gfx plugins that are developed these days.

I guess it's pretty easy for a gfx plugin developer to implement this feature, so I'm kindly asking to do so :)

It could be even better if there was a general workaround for gfx filtering. Does anyone know of a tool/thing that can permanently disable texture smoothing for DirectX/OpenGL apps? Or perhaps a gfx plugin wrapper that disables texture smoothing on the fly? That would be so awesome. :bouncy:

Please post your comments on this.

P.S. I've attached a screenshot of Super Mario 64 running with Glide64 0.7 ME SP4 and eVoodoo 4.x and the Don't filter option. Sorry for the very high JPEG compression; I'm a 56k'er ;)

Last edited:

BountyJedi

well thats always something for those with low end cards or so...
i dont really care as i've got my badass radeon 9800 pro :D

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
jelbo said:
Hi,

I recently noticed a feature in eVoodoo 4.x (don't remember exact version). In the Control Panel config window (using the .cpl file in %windir%\system32) you could choose a post processing mode for the graphics. Since I don't own a very good gfx card I chose Don't filter and I'm VERY pleased with the results.

I have several reasons for it;

-it runs faster since the textures used in N64 games are rather small, and with the don't filter option the gfx card doesn't have to smooth them out.

-it's a very good option if you want to rip sprites; 2D sprites are displayed as they are stored in the cartridge.

-2D sprites aren't filtered (as with a real N64). This difference is very obvious. Compare the on screen icons of Super Mario 64 (health, coins, stars, etc.) with Glide64 and eVoodoo 4.X with the don't filter option and with Jabo's D3D 1.6.1 for example. Jabo's plugin (as well as many others) filter 2D sprites and make them look ugly (in my opinion).

Since I really like hard pixels and performance I'd like to see an option like 'Don't filter' in gfx plugins that are developed these days.

I guess it's pretty easy for a gfx plugin developer to implement this feature, so I'm kindly asking to do so :)

It could be even better if there was a general workaround for gfx filtering. Does anyone know of a tool/thing that can permanently disable texture smoothing for DirectX/OpenGL apps? Or perhaps a gfx plugin wrapper that disables texture smoothing on the fly? That would be so awesome. :bouncy:

Please post your comments on this.

P.S. I've attached a screenshot of Super Mario 64 running with Glide64 0.7 ME SP4 and eVoodoo 4.x and the Don't filter option. Sorry for the very high JPEG compression; I'm a 56k'er ;)
Don't like these option and don't see the reason to implement it.. we all want a gfx like on the emulated console... okay, for these people who want to rip sprites, but are trere so many?
Other oppinions?

gokuss4

Meh...
there is also an option which allows "automatic", which filters only the 3d scenes with bilinear filtering, and not the small textures like the health, lives, and what not in SM64.

Reznor007

Since the real N64 does filtering, it should be done. As gokuss4 mentioned, the auto option lets the game decide what gets filtered, like on the real N64.

Not filtering won't gain you any performance though. All 3d cards from Voodoo1 and newer do bilinear filtering for free.

OP
jelbo

jelbo

Nintendo emulation fanatic!
Don't like these option and don't see the reason to implement it.. we all want a gfx like on the emulated console... okay, for these people who want to rip sprites, but are trere so many?
Other oppinions?

Well, I DO like such an option very much. And the possible speed gain isn't even the thing I like about the feature. I really love to see pixels :) And I hate bilinear filtering.

And I know a real N64 does filter the image, and that emulation is supposed to emulate that as well, but it would be a nice _option_.

Also the 'automatic' filtering mode option in Glide64 doesn't make the on screen sprites in SM64 non-filtered.. but then, I don't have a Voodoo card.

The option in eVoodoo is actually the tickbox 'Texture filtering' that I unticked instead of the option 'Post processing: Don't filter'.

Shame no-one would like an option like this. But isn't there an option in DirectX to disable texture filtering? I can't find anything in my Control Panel for my gfx card.. but I guess there's a registry option for it though.. anyone knows?