What's new

DirectX 8???

Carolyn

I keep being told that I need DirectX 8 configured on my computer...

I have DirectX 9 (The most-recent DirectX) and the latest Driver Cards...

I have no idea what to do...can anyone help me???

I also set my computer to 16bit color, which had it give me an error saying that there was something wrong with the lemmy files or something...

Last edited:

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
If you can't play any Direct3D games, that is with a video init failure message, probably you're DirectX installation got corrupted. You will be required to reinstall DirectX. If the symptoms repeat, even when using a compatible version of a GFX plugin, you probably have a Windows installation problem, thus time to reformat the HDD and reinstall Windows, for a clean installation of Windows and reinstall the drivers in the following order:

1. Chipset drivers (also known as motherboard drivers).

2. DirectX 9

3. Video card drivers.

4. Sound card drivers.

FYI: THE ABOVE DRIVER INSTALLATION ORDER LIST ONLY APPLIES TO PCS THAT ARE NOT A COMPAQ, HP, DELL, IBM OR EMACHINES, BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY HAVE THEIR OWN SOFTWARE INSTALLATION PROCEDURES.

Trotterwatch

Are you by any chance trying use the Pixel Shader version of Lemmy's plugin? If so, then the prob is most likely trying to use it with a card without pixel shaders.

I've said this before and I'll say it again RGAR, could you stop advising people to reformat at the first sign of trouble. If you insist, could you at least change the text above your avatar to something a little more apt...

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
Trotterwatch said:
Are you by any chance trying use the Pixel Shader version of Lemmy's plugin? If so, then the prob is most likely trying to use it with a card without pixel shaders.

I've said this before and I'll say it again RGAR, could you stop advising people to reformat at the first sign of trouble. If you insist, could you at least change the text above your avatar to something a little more apt...

Like this?

Are you using the pixel shader version of Lemmy's D3D8 GFX plugin?

If you are, probably the video card you're using don't have pixel shaders.

IF THE SYMPTOMS ARE ALSO OCCURING WITH THE NON-PIXEL SHADER VERSION OF LEMMY'S D3D 8 GFX PLUGIN, PLEASE READ THE TEXT BELOW.

If you can't play any Direct3D games, that is with a video init failure message, probably you're DirectX installation got corrupted. You will be required to reinstall DirectX. If the symptoms repeat, even when using a compatible version of a GFX plugin, you probably have a Windows installation problem, thus time to reformat the HDD and reinstall Windows, for a clean installation of Windows and reinstall the drivers in the following order:

1. Chipset drivers (also known as motherboard drivers).

2. DirectX 9

3. Video card drivers.

4. Sound card drivers.

FYI: THE ABOVE DRIVER INSTALLATION ORDER LIST ONLY APPLIES TO PCS THAT ARE NOT A COMPAQ, HP, DELL, IBM OR EMACHINES, BECAUSE THEY PROBABLY HAVE THEIR OWN SOFTWARE INSTALLATION PROCEDURES.

-Shadow-

Banned
You don't even need to format the main HDD in order to reinstall win XP . You must try to install win XP on a partition where windows XP is already installed , just keep on until the installer asks you if you want to delete your previous Windows installation . Your old installation will be deleted , but some of your settings will be kept ( like your IE fav's or something ) in the folder : C:\Documents and Settings\"insert user name here" , you can the copy the settings files into your new user's folder .

I won't recommend this if your Windows has been killed by a virus , it's better to clean the HDD completely , then .

RGJALK said:

OMG OMG ! Emergency... These PC's don't have their own driver installation schemes , at least Dell doesn't AFAIK... And , stop capslocking ! I think we all see what you're writing .

Oh , one question : Why is the animation of your avatar screwed ? And why has it a gap on the bottom ?

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
BloodyTongue said:
The same thing happens to me.... Might I ask what graphics card you are using?

I'm using a Radeon 9000 Pro , which is similar to the Radeon 8500, supports pixel shader 1.4. The Radeon 8500 is shown to be somewhat better than the Radeon 9000 Pro, at least in 3D Mark. But, my video card still may beat a Radeon 8500 with it OC'ed. The stock frequencies of the Radeon 9000 Pro video card are:

VRAM: 275 mhz

GPU: 275 mhz

I have my Radeon 9000 Pro video card frequencies at:

VRAM: 300 mhz

GPU: 315 mhz