What's new

help with XP (confusing)

dreamer

right, every time i try to turn off the computer, or log off (not the user, but the whole thing) or restart - the computer freezes/crashes.
usually only takes a min, but i tried waiting and the mouse cursor freezes too (waited half an hour). now i'm not complaining for a random crash - they happen, but this happened 90% of the time i turn off the computer, leading me to hit the restart button (the only way out). i did a virus scan and got no results but minor trojans...any idea why my system will crash when logging out?
and more importantly, hitting the hard reset about once a day, is it damaging to my computer? (thats mainly what im worried about). thanks for anyone if i get any feedback on what the problem could be.

OP
D

dreamer

and i don't think i can 'system restore' because it freezes when restarting the normal way. also, once i have hard reset, i can then shut down okay from the users page.

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
Try to check you HD for errors using the Windows error checking tool (make sure to select the 2 options of the error checking utility). A reboot should be needed but if your computer freezes during the reboot just press the power button, the check will be done.

Last edited: