What's new

New Vid. Card

bennykurns

Shitman
So, I'm buying a new video card 'cause the 'ol geforce 2 is really showing its age now. i just wanted to know which card is better.

A) SOLTEK nVIDIA FX5600XT AGP8X /128BIT/128MB DDR /DVI & TV-OUT. $178.81

B) SOLTEK SL-5700-QD GEFORCE FX 5700 AGP8X 256MB DDR VGA DVI-I TV OUT. $209.91

C) POWERCOLOR RADEON 9600 PRO 256MB DDR AGP8X VGA DVI TV OUT RETAIL BOX. $235.96

D) SAPPHIRE RADEON 9600XT 256MB DDR DVI-I W/ TV OUT OEM. $245.52

E) ATI RADEON 9600 PRO 128MB AGP VGA DVI W/ TV OUT RETAIL BOX $246.38

All of these are within my price range, all prices are canadian and I dont have to pay shipping charges as the shop is just down the road.

http://www.thewebbeach.com/

Just needed some help, dont want to waste my money on a card that I wont enjoy.

BTW im into all kinds of gaming... emulation, high end pc games, and all the rest.

SPECS

amd athlon xp 2000+ thoroughbred
256mb pc3200 ddr ram
geforce mx400
asus a7v8x-x mobo

I think thats all you'll need to know, thanks a lot for the help and your suggestions. Off to work I go!

Last edited:
OP
bennykurns

bennykurns

Shitman
Dude, I don't think they ship to Canada, im trying to order it but I cant select what country, only a state! Damn, you had me excited, lol. Thanks a lot for your help.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
1. newegg ships to US and Puerto Rico only
2. i really don't see any sense in buying a radeon 9800 pro or a geforce fx 5900xt for 200 smackers, when you can get the dry, plain geforce 6800 for 300, and get an approx 60-70% increase in performance, and those first prices you posted, like 250 for a 9600xt, is madness, IMO, wait a while, save some $$$, and get a big bad Socket 775 P4 mainboard and CPU (which means new ram, stupid intel and their new standards), or a Socket 939 Athlon 64, and use your old DDR, and of course push for that GeForce6 Series card or *shudder* an ATI X800 Series card (nothing bad about them, i just personally hate ati, just like i hate intel, i have my reasons too)

OP
bennykurns

bennykurns

Shitman
Yeah, i'd love to buy all that crap, but you see im working for $6.05 an hour (Canadian) and im only getting about 3 days a week, so that would take awhile.

Its hard to find a really good site that ships to Canada.. eh! lol. But anyways, i found a 9600XT 256mb for under 200 dollars canadian! Is that a good deal?

Thanks for all the help guys, muchly appreciated

Reznor007

A 256MB 9600XT would be pretty nice actually. I have a 128MB 9600 (normal) and it plays everything just fine. Including the Halflife2 and Doom3 leaked versions.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
bennykurns said:
Yeah, i'd love to buy all that crap, but you see im working for $6.05 an hour (Canadian) and im only getting about 3 days a week, so that would take awhile.

Its hard to find a really good site that ships to Canada.. eh! lol. But anyways, i found a 9600XT 256mb for under 200 dollars canadian! Is that a good deal?

Thanks for all the help guys, muchly appreciated
a 9600XT will choke before it ever needs those extra 128 MB of ram, get the 128 Meg version and save your seldf some mula, or get a 5900XT, preferably the MSI model because it has VIVO capabilities, one of the quietest in its class, and it comes with a good software bundle, or you could get a 6800 plain) best deal for its price.
Actually, looking at your specs, that CPU will be a bottleneck with a beefy card like the ones recommended above, if i were you, i'd be patient with that Radeon 9200 i see in there, and save for a complete PC overhaul
Wait, are your specs the one in your profile, PIII 800 MHz, or the ones you listed in your first post (that i just noticed), with the that AXP 2000+, a 6800 wouldn't make sense, and a 5900 XT would do fine

gokuss4

Meh...
flow`` said:
heh no wonder.. that's the dumbed down 128 meg card gokuss4. thats why it's so cheap

Why the fuck do you need 256mb of video ram? :plain: 128MB is fine. Plus there is no difference between the 128 and 256 versions of the ati radeon 9800 pro.

Oh yeah another thing.

sheik124 said:
1. newegg ships to US and Puerto Rico only
2. i really don't see any sense in buying a radeon 9800 pro or a geforce fx 5900xt for 200 smackers, when you can get the dry, plain geforce 6800 for 300, and get an approx 60-70% increase in performance, and those first prices you posted, like 250 for a 9600xt, is madness, IMO, wait a while, save some $$$, and get a big bad Socket 775 P4 mainboard and CPU (which means new ram, stupid intel and their new standards), or a Socket 939 Athlon 64, and use your old DDR, and of course push for that GeForce6 Series card or *shudder* an ATI X800 Series card (nothing bad about them, i just personally hate ati, just like i hate intel, i have my reasons too)
3. Wait till October :D. I'm serious. There should be a lot of good stuff coming out in October, so It's best to save up your money until then.

Reznor007

More than 128MB VRAM is becoming more and more necessary as things go on. Doom3's Ultra quality mode REQUIRES a 512MB video card(which isn't out yet). ATI's Ruby tech demo will use more than 256MB VRAM if your card doesn't support 3DC texture compression(only X800 series does right now).

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Reznor007 said:
More than 128MB VRAM is becoming more and more necessary as things go on. Doom3's Ultra quality mode REQUIRES a 512MB video card(which isn't out yet). ATI's Ruby tech demo will use more than 256MB VRAM if your card doesn't support 3DC texture compression(only X800 series does right now).
Well screw them. That's just plain bad programming. Such gfx can be attained without that much vram. It has been done before, and it can be done again. Their loss.

As for the gfx card... you know pcstates found a great card. And asus gf fx 5900 i think... it was in the price range of $150 or something. But the things was that it was higher clocked than the other cards of the same type... plus, if you overclock it, it can even beat the fx 5900 ultra card.
Wow, talk about fun!
Try to find one ^_^

sheik124

Emutalk Member
gokuss4 said:
Why the fuck do you need 256mb of video ram? :plain: 128MB is fine. Plus there is no difference between the 128 and 256 versions of the ati radeon 9800 pro
well your wrong, most of the 128 MB 9800 Pros (specifically about 70% of the ones sapphire put out) had a 128-bit memory interface (which is only a feature of some 9800SEs) so yes, technically most 128 9800 Pros are castrated dumbed down versions, although sapphire has stopped shipping them with inadequate labeling
and MANY things need more than 128 MB vram like Reznor said, what I said about more than 128 megs of ram was for any vpus under 9800/5900 level, the card will never need to use more than 128 MB of VRAM for reasons like insanely high levels of filtering, because the GPU will choke before it can use up that extra ram, its like buying a GeForce4 MX 440 with 512 MB of VRAM, does that really make sense?

OP
bennykurns

bennykurns

Shitman
Heh, yep, I definetly need a new video card now, because the one I have now is fried. The fan stopped working without me knowing, and the computer was on for awhile, and well, the rest is history. The card is pretty screwed.

Im on a loaner card for now, a geforce 4 mx440SE, just until i buy the new video card. Im seriously considering purchasing a 9600XT, sounds like the best money/performance payoff.

I need to send my PS2 away this week too, because of goddamn disc read errors. I started playing FFX and was just at the last part, right before fighting Sin, and then... WHAMMO! disc read errors. I called sony and the repair is free, because lots of the PS2's are defective and sony was going to get sued for it. So instead, they are making free repairs, not too shabby!

thenate04

well i got the new card... and i ran 3d mark 2001 and 2003 before and after

3dmark2001se gf4mx440- 5805
3dmark2001se 9800pro - 12288

3dmark2003 gf4mx440- 270 (could only run one of four game tests)
3dmark2003 9800pro - 5666

gokuss4

Meh...
sheik124 said:
well your wrong, most of the 128 MB 9800 Pros (specifically about 70% of the ones sapphire put out) had a 128-bit memory interface (which is only a feature of some 9800SEs) so yes, technically most 128 9800 Pros are castrated dumbed down versions, although sapphire has stopped shipping them with inadequate labeling
and MANY things need more than 128 MB vram like Reznor said, what I said about more than 128 megs of ram was for any vpus under 9800/5900 level, the card will never need to use more than 128 MB of VRAM for reasons like insanely high levels of filtering, because the GPU will choke before it can use up that extra ram, its like buying a GeForce4 MX 440 with 512 MB of VRAM, does that really make sense?

I know my Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB is 256-bit..

More than 128MB VRAM is becoming more and more necessary as things go on. Doom3's Ultra quality mode REQUIRES a 512MB video card(which isn't out yet).
Where'd you get that info from?
Edit: nvm I found it.. interesting.. but the difference between the high and ultra high setting is that ultra high has uncompressed textures... not that big of a difference anyways...

Last edited:

Reznor007

Still, if you want to see it in it's best quality you need 512MB.

Hell, I read in an interview that 1 level of Doom3 uses as much art assests as the entire game of Quake3. Impressive.