mal_dsk2.jpg

What type of box am I running?
mal_dsk3.jpg

{edit}
oops, i put in the wrong extension
{/edit}

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Flow``: Does SP1 allow you to fully remove internet explorer integration?

malcom: nice shell, what distro?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
AlphaWolf said:
Flow``: Does SP1 allow you to fully remove internet explorer integration?

malcom: nice shell, what distro?

didn't cha see the big "Powered by Gentoo Linux" background on my desktop ;)

www.gentoo.org <- not for n00bs, its total compiling from source, you gotta know what your doing

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Ah thats that new debian-ish distro going around (or maybe not new but I've only started hearing about it recently).

After looking further I see your using KDE 3, I haven't tried it myself, so far kde has always felt too bloatish to me, (last I used was somewhere around 2.1 or so) I always use the ximian gnome shell. www.ximian.com.

So far as distros I kinda want to try suse 8, I hear its the shit. I've tried dbn but wasn't that big of a fan of practicaly assembling your own OS. :D

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
I don't really care what desktop manager I use anymore. If you have the GNOME libs you can run GNOME apps on KDE, and visa-versa.

Its the applications you use that are important :)

If you spend too much time trying to make the OS suit you perfectly your going to have alot of downtime, I can't afford much of that these days :p

OP
flow``

flow``

flow``
i dont think so alpha, at least it wasn't in the add/remove progs and didnt prompt me if i wanted to make IE my default web explorer (like you've seen a few screenshots of)

not to mention MSN messenger 5 is shit.. just a fancy gui

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Just tried this shell for windows called aston...all I have to say is this...its THE SHIT. I can't explain this much (other than the fact that it uses much less memory), but now that I have it running instead of explorer, my games load phenominaly faster, and I can actualy alt-tab in very memory intensive games (like UT and HL) without waiting a few hours. Not only that but its got a nice sleek interface, and your OS as a whole will feel a lot more responsive. The themes on the site will actualy install correctly without you taking any extreme measures, and it just plain works unlike any other shell I've seen. I even made sure it has lots of graphics and other stuff that normaly slows your computer down enabled, and it STILL goes fast. You have gotta try it. This is just one of the themes, there are more at http://www.astonshell.com/themes/

mesman00

What's that...?
eh, so its okay, but im not too big of a fan, personally, i like the explorer shell better than all of the others i've tried.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
I guess the main reason it gives me a speedup is b/c normaly I only have ~100 megs of physical memory free. With this shell running, I typicaly float around 200 megs free. Why that is I have no idea, last I recall explorer never took 100 megs. With your average person this might not make as big of a difference, but with me it certainly does. I am running on a laptop with a 4500 RPM hard drive, memory paging KILLS performance badly. With this shell, I hardly have a problem with that at all, in fact in counterstrike I am always the first person in the game upon map switching b/c now the maps barely take a few seconds to load, wasn't like that before. Its almost as fast as my 24/7 linux system now.

I guess another cause for this too could be that whenever I load games, I always notice that the shell shrinks to taking about 4 megs of physical memory, whereas explorer seemed to actualy grow while games were running.

RPGlover12

AlphaWolf said:
Just tried this shell for windows called aston...all I have to say is this...its THE SHIT. I can't explain this much (other than the fact that it uses much less memory), but now that I have it running instead of explorer, my games load phenominaly faster, and I can actualy alt-tab in very memory intensive games (like UT and HL) without waiting a few hours. Not only that but its got a nice sleek interface, and your OS as a whole will feel a lot more responsive. The themes on the site will actualy install correctly without you taking any extreme measures, and it just plain works unlike any other shell I've seen. I even made sure it has lots of graphics and other stuff that normaly slows your computer down enabled, and it STILL goes fast. You have gotta try it. This is just one of the themes, there are more at http://www.astonshell.com/themes/
This program is shit it totally fu**ed up my pc it was workin good untill i restarted cause i installed a new game and it totally fu**ed up everything, now i can't have a desktob i can't have icons like my computer and others from the properties desktob customize and now all internet temporary files are deleted all windows sounds are deleted like the startin i can't even choose a sound for it cause its not there in the control panel > sounds everything is fu**ed up in my pc some games now aren't workin too . anybody had this problem or somethin then plz help me , thnxs in advance