What's new

Please Help ASAP! Adware Problem!

xamenus

Okay, I stumbled upon some Trojan, but luckily my up-to-date McAfee detected it and deleted it. 2 adware programs were found, and I deleted them. However, my IE home page always stays set on some damn ad page, I can't change it! I really need help fixing this problem. What sucks is I just formatted my hard drive a couple of days ago! If you know of anything to fix this, I'd appreciate it. Thank you very much.

OP
X

xamenus

OK, did a Google search for S&D, downloading it right now. I'll post my results later. :) Reputation points for you, seth. :)

OP
X

xamenus

Well, after messing with the registry, Search and Destroy indicates that my problems are fixed, but they are not. However, I have been able to reset the homepage, but once I quit IE and restart it, it goes back. There's also some stuff in Add or Remove Programs in the Control Panel that is related to this but I cannot delete. :(

retroK

I know this is not the suggestion you want to hear, but you could always switch to an alternate browser. I recommend FireFox.

OP
X

xamenus

OK, I did a System Restore and it's fixed (hopefully)! Thank you everyone who replied! :bouncy:

BTW, before I formatted my hard drive, I did use Firefox. However, other people that use my computer use IE, though, so I am the only one that uses Firefox. But I should still re-download it sometime for myself anyway. :)

Last edited:

smcd

If you like IE and other people use it, you might be interested in www.myie2.com I like it a lot, it has built in ad-blocking, popup blocking, and is generally more secure against "browser hijacking" than the default "IE" that it is based upon.

jdsony

sethmcdoogle said:
If you like IE and other people use it, you might be interested in www.myie2.com I like it a lot, it has built in ad-blocking, popup blocking, and is generally more secure against "browser hijacking" than the default "IE" that it is based upon.

Is it really that much more secure than IE? It needs IE to operate and uses it as a base. Maybe it is more secure but I would think it would keep some of IE's faults.

smcd

It does use IE's core, and thus it IS susceptible to some of the same things, but I've yet to get auto-installed spyware/adware/browser "Tools" from using it, and the popup blocking + inline ad filtering is quite nice.

Qun Mang

nuqDaq 'oH puchpa''e'
Are you sure? You might want to fire up plain old IE to take a look. You may have some new tool bars or a new home page there that MyIE2 doesn't show; you never know.

smcd

Nope, nothing so far! (Then I tend to avoid those "shady" type sites that love to install crap for you)

t0rek

Wilson's Friend
An advice for everyone here that uses IE: Stop using it, and use Mozilla Firefox, is the best browser now, is safer, faster and secure than IE and is free!