What's new

Converting image created by Fastboot + Binhack to a CloneCD image

TalynOne

This tutorial is for those who use the Fastboot + Binhack method to create an image and want to convert that image to a format that is mountable in newer versions of Daemon Tools and Alcohol 120%.

Don't let all the steps intimidate you, once you learn this process it's about a 5 minute task from start to finish.

WARNING: This method is convoluted and requires you to still have Daemon Tools v3.29 installed for conversion of the image file, but it does work.

The Problem: Self booting Dreamcast Disc Juggler images created using the Fastboot + Binhack method (specifically using the bin2boot .exe) make Chankast produce IO errors/warnings if mounted in newer versions of Daemon Tools (newer than version 3.29) or Alcohol 120%.

The Solution: Convert the image created by the Fastboot + Binhack method to a CloneCD .CCD image.

Why do this?: The Fastboot + Binhack method is the best method for creating a self booting image for images that can't fit on a standard 80 minute CD. The advantage of tutorial is to create a better long term archive of disc images in case you don't want to have Daemon Tools 3.29 installed on your machine for the rest of your life or if you have problems recording the .CDI or .NRG images created by the Fastboot + Binhack method or if you want to mount your games in other Virtual CD software that supports the CloneCD image format.

-----------------

Software you will need:

You may be able to use alternate software to accomplish this but the following combination of software and methods worked for me while others did not. For instance cdi2nero and WinISO did not work for me.

1. Fastboot + Binhack
    http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=21613
  2. Daemon Tools V3.29, you can get it here:
    http://www.daemon-tools.cc/dtcc/portal/download.php?mode=ViewCategory&catid=8
  3. UltraISO
    http://www.ezbsystems.com/ultraiso/
  4. Alcohol 120%
    http://www.alcohol-soft.com/ (thanks for the new link Orix!)
  5. CloneCD (Optional, only if you wish to burn the image)
    http://www.slysoft.com/en/download.html
-----------------

The Tutorial:

1. Follow the Fastboot + Binhack tutorial
    http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=21613
  2. Mount the image.cdi in Daemon Tools 3.29 and verify it boots properly in Chankast.
  3. Start UltraISO
    • Go to the "Tools" menu
    • Choose the "Make CD Image..." menu item.
    • Choose the Daemon Tools CD-ROM Drive Letter
    • Make sure "Skip Bad Sectors" is checked.
    • Make sure the action selected is "Make CD Image"
    • Choose "Nero (.NRG)" as the Output format (yes I know CloneCD is available here, don't choose it, it won't work)
    • Pick an output file name
    • Click on the "Make" button.
    • Once this is done you can close out UltraISO and unmount image.cdi from Daemon Tools.

This will create a Nero CD image file that is NOT readable by Daemon Tools 3.29 but is mountable by Alcohol 120%.
  4. Open Alcohol 120%, right click on the Alcohol virtual CD drive letter in the Device list and choose "Mount Image..." and mount the Nero .nrg CD image file you created in the previous step.
    • In Alcohol 120% go to the "File" menu and choose "Image Making Wizard..."
    • Choose the Alcohol 120% virtual CD drive letter from the CD/DVD Device List
    • Choose "General Protected CD" from the "datatype" list"
      This should selected the following checkmark options:
      Skip reading errors
      Fast skip error blocks
      Advanced Sector Scanning (Factor: 100)
      Read Sub-Channel Data from current Disc
    • Click on the "Next" button
    • Choose a location for your destination file
    • Make sure "CloneCD Image file (*.ccd)" is selected for the "Image format".
    • Click the "Start" button.
    • This process should create three files that make up the CD image (.ccd, .img, and .sub)
  5. Mount the .CCD CloneCD file in Daemon Tools and verify it boots properly in Chankast
  6. You're done! You can now delete the .CDI and .NRG CD image files and save/archive your new CloneCD files!

Last edited:

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
TalynOne said:
What? By your own comment the method described in that link doesn't really work all the time.

it work, you only have to use nero 5.x, cos dt 3.46 can't use nero 6.x images.
and the non-working games are those with exotic disc access (chankast does'nt support it yet, and only dt 3.29 allow that)

try puyo puyo fever with your concept, you'll see it will have IO control error too...

Last edited:
OP
T

TalynOne

Nightmare said:
it work, you only have to use nero 5.x, cos dt 3.46 can't use nero 6.x images.
and the non-working games are those with exotic disc access (chankast does'nt support it yet, and only dt 3.29 allow that)

try puyo puyo fever with your concept, you'll see it will have IO control error too...

I don't have puyo puyo fever, did you try my method and see if you still have IO control error?

Nightmare

(when dream come true)
TalynOne said:
I don't have puyo puyo fever, did you try my method and see if you still have IO control error?

no, but i'm quite sure of the result... anyway, i'll try to find the required tools (i need to find ccd and alchool... i'm a nero fan), and i'll make a test...

ssj4v

i dont get it, y does d-tools 3.29 suck? it works fine.
plus, can i burn the .cdi on disc juggler (is there any other program that burns .cdi?)created from the fastboot + binhack method and run the game on chankast or real dreamcast from the cd?

morpheusx

ssj4v said:
i dont get it, y does d-tools 3.29 suck? it works fine.
plus, can i burn the .cdi on disc juggler (is there any other program that burns .cdi?)created from the fastboot + binhack method and run the game on chankast or real dreamcast from the cd?

ssj4v,discjuggler is the king of burning cdi's and of corse.Dreamcast games,i have 160+ Dreamcast backups,i've burnt every single one with discjuggler,alcohol also burn cdi images but i would'nt use it,discjuggler is enough for me :0)

ssj4v

but can i burn the .cdi images created from the fastboot + binhack method? and i wanted to use another program because i only have the trial version and cant find a cr**k.

OP
T

TalynOne

Hi ssj4v,

This method is mostly for people who want to keep their games in CD image format or if they have a game that won't fit on a CD.

If you want to burn the .cdi image and you don't have access to Disc Juggler try mounting the image in Daemon Tools and use the virtual CD drives as the source in a CD to CD copy.

OP
T

TalynOne

Carmack said:
When I want to make image UltraISO shows the message:
No disc or CD ROM not ready.
plz help me

Did you mount the .cdi file created by the Fastboot+Binhack utilities in Daemon Tools 3.29 and can you see the contents of the CD if you double click the Deamon's virtual CD Drive in "my computer"? Did you make sure that you selected Daemon Tool's (3.29) virtual CD rom drive letter in UltraISO?

WhiteX

I just mounted my Downloaded version of ikaruga with daemon 3.29, used CloneCD to make an image out of it and then deleted the old one, burnt it into a cd and ran into a dreamcast and it ran, then updated my D-tools and it ran in chanka also! i see no point in so many steps.

OP
T

TalynOne

Again this is for people who DON'T or CAN'T burn their .CDI images to CD. It's really not that many steps I just got detailed in my description, the whole process is like 5 minutes and most of it is waiting. It's actually faster than burning an actual CD.

This is for people who want to keep their images as images (no burning) or can't burn the image for any reason including if that the image is too large.