What's new

chankast lags even at title screen on a good computer (dual proc)

spunk13377

I am bumming...
chankast gives me 5 fps at the dreamcast swirl and bios screen with extremely choppy sound. i havent gotten a game to work yet but that isnt the problem.

I think for some reason this can be blamed on my dual processors? here are my specs

windows xp
dual amd mp 1900's
768 mb ddr 2100
geforce 4 4400

this isnt normal right??
help! :( thankyou

mezkal

Man on a mission
Well that depends on whether Chankast is a Thread aware app.
If not (and I suspect that may the case - such behaviour has been known to happen before as the app waits for processors to synch, which they won't) you can eaily fix it by going into task manager and right clicking on Chankast (you have to run it first of course) and selecting Set Affinity.... In the next screen Uncheck the box next to CPU Press ok and close Task Manager.

Now try it. :)

Cheers,

Mezkal

OP
S

spunk13377

thanks for the idea however i already gave that a try.... and it didnt fix anything.

thanks for the speedy reply! :happy:

EDIT: also im using windows xp pro which can take advantage of dual proc right?

whats wrong :(

Pimp

Banned
spunk13377 said:
I am bumming...
chankast gives me 5 fps at the dreamcast swirl and bios screen with extremely choppy sound. i havent gotten a game to work yet but that isnt the problem.

I think for some reason this can be blamed on my dual processors? here are my specs

windows xp
dual amd mp 1900's
768 mb ddr 2100
geforce 4 4400

this isnt normal right??
help! :( thankyou

change your graphic card drivers, and check if your directx is werking properly.
go to windows update for check up.

OP
S

spunk13377

how do i check if it is working properly?

i have the newest nvidia drivers should i revert to older ones?

i have newest direct x etc from windows update

astroduck

IIRC, Anti-aliasing shouldn't affect Chankast speed...I read that from another thread...maybe I am wrong.

OP
S

spunk13377

astroduck said:
IIRC, Anti-aliasing shouldn't affect Chankast speed...I read that from another thread...maybe I am wrong.

well... after i disabled it im getting 15-20 fps which still seems a little slow.

it affects it because the graphics card has to do more work... it affects it on non emulated games etc because i had it on always AA not application controlled.

anyway i feel like im still going to slow is this just because of my system???

Johann

Chankast rocks ^^
Check that you don't have any antivirus monitor working when you're using chankast. Also you can try to increase it's priority from the chankast menu.

OP
S

spunk13377

thanks for the advice, the antivirus didnt help nor the priority.

im just wondering if that is normal for my specs

also doa2 cant find a memory card?

veritron

I would seriously consider reformatting if you're getting that kind of performance with that kind of computer.

Do you have AGP enabled, latest motherboard drivers, memory timings set aggressively, post writes and all the crap on?

I'm getting 4x your framerate with an ath xp 1800+ and a rad 9700 (the 1500+ is a spare, there was an incident with a bad power supply frying my old motherboard.)

OP
S

spunk13377

veritron said:
I would seriously consider reformatting if you're getting that kind of performance with that kind of computer.

Do you have AGP enabled, latest motherboard drivers, memory timings set aggressively, post writes and all the crap on?

I'm getting 4x your framerate with an ath xp 1800+ and a rad 9700 (the 1500+ is a spare, there was an incident with a bad power supply frying my old motherboard.)

damnit i am upset now :( lol

reformat shouldnt be needed i reformatted recently and im anal about spyware etc my computer is very clean.

of course i have agp enabled because i can play other games like not emulators well... i am going to give my system a 3dmark benchmark or something just for peace of mind.

any other suggestions

also, when i close chankast my mouse freezes for about a half a second... no big deal just wondering if anyone else has that happen

OP
S

spunk13377

which agp driver??? nvidia? or the amd chipset?

EDIT: i just reinstalled my agp driver from amd's website and it didnt help...

Last edited:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
AGP drivers can be a problem too......
Please make sure you installed before nvidia forceware drivers.....
Download the lastest ones from Via or nVidia (who makes the chipset of your motherboard).......
Via 4-in-1 drivers from www.viaarena.com
nVidia Mobo drivers from www.nvidia.com
Intel ones dont need agp driver as i know...... (but dont have intel chipset for amd processors)