What's new

Wireless Connection

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
I've got an Adeptec Wireless Router and I have the wireless adapter plugged into the laptop. The connection seems to run fine but in random times it always disconnects and then reconnects, or disconnects and I have to restart the computer for it to connect again.
I installed xp service pack 2 (RC2) a couple of weeks back because I read that the wireless configuration had been revamped, so I tried it out and for the first week it ran great with only 1 random disconnection. But on the second week it went back to disconnecting all the time. I'm not goin to rollback to sp1 because this candidate is close to the final. I've checked the actiontec website for the latest drivers but I couldnt seem to find any. But for anyone who has a wireless connection, do u get the occasional dissconections or have u done somethin that makes it connect for a long period of time?

Last edited:

vileP

I've heard using XP's Wireless Zero Configuration can cause some of these disconnection problems. Have you tried to use Actiontec's program to configure your wi-fi settings instead of letting XP do the configuring?

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
Well Actiontec's configuration is not very good as it only tries and detects the wireless adapter of what I've got plugged in, so i dont know wot to do.

Gigahurtz

Feel the speed
It could be hardware instead of software. Try these tips:
1) Make sure your wireless router is not surrounded by metal objects.
2) If your wireless router is a B or G protocoll (most common), they will be sharing the 2.4 GHz band which means some microwaves and 2.4ghz cordless phones can be interfering with your reception. In this case, try changing the channel on your router to a different one

Otherwise, I don't know how to help you out if it is software wise.
Good luck.

sheik124

Emutalk Member
vileP said:
I've heard using XP's Wireless Zero Configuration can cause some of these disconnection problems. Have you tried to use Actiontec's program to configure your wi-fi settings instead of letting XP do the configuring?
right there, thats your problem. its a windoze issue, not the routers fault, it happens to all the poor bastards i know stuck with windows and a really nice wireless-g router (linksys [love mine], netgear, d-link)

Gigahurtz

Feel the speed
sheik124 said:
right there, thats your problem. its a windoze issue, not the routers fault, it happens to all the poor bastards i know stuck with windows and a really nice wireless-g router (linksys [love mine], netgear, d-link)

Well, not really. I have Windows XP and a Wirless G network and used Windows XP Wireless Zero Configuration but in combination with Linksys's software. The only problem I have is occasionally, the network will time out after moving very large files from one computer to the other. Otherwise, it works pretty well.

DarthDazDC said:
thanx but how do i change the channel of the router?

You need to connect a network cable from a computer to the router and when you are on that computer, you can see the router's settings by typing its address (192.168.1.1, which is the common address for any router you buy, unless you manually change that address) and type it in any internet browser. It may prompt you for a user name and pass, which is commonly admin for user name and no password (if this user name and pass does not work, check your manual for the right ones). From here, you should be able to see various settings for your router including the channel number (which is commonly set to channel 6).

By the way, if you have a wireless G network, you may gain significant performance increase if you set your network to be Wirless G only instead of mixed mode (which allows Wireless G and B networks to communicate). Only use this option if you don't have any wireless B networked computers around. This option can also be found in the router's settings.

minkster

i remember i had problems with my laptop with the wireless connection. The problem had nothing to do with the router, but it had problems with the wireless card itself. I decided to buy a new one nd no problems with disconnection since then.

OP
DarthDazDC

DarthDazDC

An Alright Guy
well i finally sold my laptop for £415! And im going to order the parts tonight and tommorow. Before the laptop was sent away to the buyer, the connection was actuallly workin fine, but i'll see wot happens when the pc arrives