What's new

This will allow you to export geometry WITH textures

Federelli

Beta Tester
omg i'm gonna vomit...
Someone needs to reskin those models... what the hell where they thinking when they textured them?!?

JoyBoard

Federelli said:
omg i'm gonna vomit...
Someone needs to reskin those models... what the hell where they thinking when they textured them?!?

Actually, Nintendo did an outstanding job when it comes to texturing. I just posted the Shots without File Texture Filtering because I had them uploaded since someone in another forum requested that, to see the textures actual resolution.

It seems that Nintendo used some pretty cool texture wrapping techniques - Third Parties (and even Second Parties like Rare) did not use the same tricks for texturing, that's why the PD Screenies look flawless.

I'd love to see someone posting shots of Zelda OoT, I'd like to see if 3ds Max has a more powerful UV Editor than Maya - Maybe you could simulate some of the cool stuff Nintendo did within their games.

Federelli

Beta Tester
WHAT!?! The skin in those weapons and in Agent Dark's body make no sense at all, it's horribly mapped and there's lots of stretching, the UVmap must be horrible and inconsistant. Just like Quake2

JoyBoard

Federelli said:
WHAT!?! The skin in those weapons and in Agent Dark's body make no sense at all, it's horribly mapped and there's lots of stretching, the UVmap must be horrible and inconsistant. Just like Quake2

Think about it - The N64 Hardware is nearly 10 years old, 3d was in its very early stages as the N64 launched. I personally think the textures are very good for the restrictions the developers had. And really, I don't see a lot of stretching at all - it just looks like that because of the low res file textures and the filtering.

And as you can see on Postys and Vipers Postings, people still like it :)

Knuckles

Here's what it looks like for me on 3ds:

I have the same kind of problems with the textures...

EDIT : I wanted to add the hoverbike :p

Last edited:

JoyBoard

Well, is the mapping really messed up or was it the same on the N64? I'm not sure. Her waist area seems strange - Could someone check that?

Federelli

Beta Tester
Believe it or not, it's like that, lol :p

Examples of great texturing in N64 are both Zelda games, both Banjo games, Evangelion (perfect texturing), Conker's Bad Fur Day, Jet Force Gemini :):)
Those are good, low resolution textures, but to a good use :D

Knuckles

Perfect Dark isn't that bad actually (except for players texturing), I've seen worst :p But when you're playing , who is paying attention if the textures are correctly aligned or not, a game is great for his gameplay and not on how it looks :saint:

NeroMan

Okay. So I'm pretty fascinated in this process, you know, I have 3DSMax and I do like to play videogames so why not, right? If anything I figure I can at least use extracted models to impress the childs.
But whenever I use either of the LemD3D8.dll's linked to in this thread (replacing the one I have) my nemu crashes upon opening any roms. Am I the biggest idiot ever or there something I'm not doing right?

Last edited:

psychotix

Game Making?

Couldn't all of this be used to help us make remakes of our beloved classic N64 titles...

such as Conker's Bad Fur Day.... or Goldeneye... Perfect Dark, Mario, Banjo, Zelda, etc?

Games could be easily made using N64 geometry (you just fill in the code to piece it all together) for PC or designed especially for a gamesystem such as Dreamcast or Xbox that is easy to program on. Think about it!

I know it's not the easiest thing to make games but this could help people make games more quickly and effieciently with characters, scenery and objects they love!

JoyBoard

@psychotix:

Well... sure... but, it wouldn't make a lot of sense: First of all, the geometry you'll export is triangulated. That means:

1) You'll have problems with smoothing of the polygonal normals.
2) You'll have problems when it comes to rigging/animating your geometry.
3) You'll have problems when it comes to texturing/laying out Uvs, etc.

Okay, it's actually not much of a problem to make a quad mesh out of that triangulated mesh, as you can see here:

n64_link_04.jpg
(took be bout 10 Minutes)

BUT you certainly loose all your UVs. Okay, it would also be possible to lay them out again, but the textures are the next problem. Obviously the N64 used some pretty nice techniques to wrap textures.

E.g.: Legend of Zelda, the top of a stump: only one quarter of the top of that stump has been textured, the rest was some kind of "circular wrap". That means, the other positions would have been -y, -x and -xy. It would be a pain in the ass to lay out the UVs according to that fact.

All in all it'd be _A LOT_ easier to actually create your own meshes, lay out UV's and texture all by yourself than to absolutely reuse the N64 Meshes. If that's what you'd want, if you'd absolutely wanted to use the actual N64 Geometry, sure, there'd be ways to do that, but it would not make a lot of sense, as I just said.

I'm an artist, not a programmer, but I guess it's also a little harder to "just fill in the code to piece it all together" than you think...

And you could use 10x more detailed meshes nowadays, so I don't think anyone will use these meshes for some games.

PS: Oh, exceptions are games like Perfect Dark or GoldenEye, it seems Textures are fine with these ones - nevertheless, all other arguments still apply for these too!

psychotix

JoyBoard said:
@psychotix:

Well... sure... but, it wouldn't make a lot of sense: First of all, the geometry you'll export is triangulated. That means:

1) You'll have problems with smoothing of the polygonal normals.
2) You'll have problems when it comes to rigging/animating your geometry.
3) You'll have problems when it comes to texturing/laying out Uvs, etc.

Okay, it's actually not much of a problem to make a quad mesh out of that triangulated mesh, as you can see here:

n64_link_04.jpg
(took be bout 10 Minutes)

BUT you certainly loose all your UVs. Okay, it would also be possible to lay them out again, but the textures are the next problem. Obviously the N64 used some pretty nice techniques to wrap textures.

E.g.: Legend of Zelda, the top of a stump: only one quarter of the top of that stump has been textured, the rest was some kind of "circular wrap". That means, the other positions would have been -y, -x and -xy. It would be a pain in the ass to lay out the UVs according to that fact.

All in all it'd be _A LOT_ easier to actually create your own meshes, lay out UV's and texture all by yourself than to absolutely reuse the N64 Meshes. If that's what you'd want, if you'd absolutely wanted to use the actual N64 Geometry, sure, there'd be ways to do that, but it would not make a lot of sense, as I just said.

I'm an artist, not a programmer, but I guess it's also a little harder to "just fill in the code to piece it all together" than you think...

And you could use 10x more detailed meshes nowadays, so I don't think anyone will use these meshes for some games.

PS: Oh, exceptions are games like Perfect Dark or GoldenEye, it seems Textures are fine with these ones - nevertheless, all other arguments still apply for these too!

I'm sure it would be hard to code any game i'm just saying the tools are there for developers if they need things like this.

JoyBoard

Could you post some close up shots? I've the same Texture Wrapping problems with Star Fox, as described above - Did you manipulate the UVs or...?

Andy Olivera

I'm pretty new at this, but how did you(JoyBoard) manage to get the models into Maya with UVs and textures? I've used 3DWin to convert the models to OBJ successfully, but they're completely untextured. Odd thing is, the materials are there, but the texture files aren't assigned to them...

JoyBoard

Andy Olivera said:
I'm pretty new at this, but how did you(JoyBoard) manage to get the models into Maya with UVs and textures? I've used 3DWin to convert the models to OBJ successfully, but they're completely untextured. Odd thing is, the materials are there, but the texture files aren't assigned to them...

I used the Demo Version of DeepExploration to convert the .wrl Files to object Files.

GeniusJennis

JoyBoard said:
Could you post some close up shots? I've the same Texture Wrapping problems with Star Fox, as described above - Did you manipulate the UVs or...?

Sure
Close enough :p
attachment.php

And no didn't do a thing just imported it into 3ds max
PS: Just exported the Fighting force team (upside down :p)

Last edited: