What's new

This will allow you to export geometry WITH textures

fatalM4

i don't know anything about the vrml format but when you import it into 3ds max there's no alpha on any of the textures... not sure if that can be fixed, but.. i knew the texture exporter exported *_c.bmp and *_a.bmp for color and alpha (even on all-opaque textures)
to get the masked textures right in 3ds max i had to create a mask map with the existing bitmap as a sub-map and then load the *_a.bmp for the mask. enable invert mask, disable tiling on the color map and enable tiling on the alpha map.

after flipped normals, attach (to make it all one mesh), vertex weld, and meshsmooth..

Viper_Viper

fatalM4 said:
i don't know anything about the vrml format but when you import it into 3ds max there's no alpha on any of the textures... not sure if that can be fixed, but.. i knew the texture exporter exported *_c.bmp and *_a.bmp for color and alpha (even on all-opaque textures)
to get the masked textures right in 3ds max i had to create a mask map with the existing bitmap as a sub-map and then load the *_a.bmp for the mask. enable invert mask, disable tiling on the color map and enable tiling on the alpha map.

after flipped normals, attach (to make it all one mesh), vertex weld, and meshsmooth..

Hey, it seems u know alot about 3ds Max. I was wondering if there was an easy way to flip the models around. It took me about an hour to do a whole sceen. This is what i did:
1) Press "H"
2) Select an object
3) Select Modify>Selection>Face
4) Press "Ctrl+A" (Select All)
5) Select Modify>Surface Properties>Normals>Flip
4) Repeat for all objects

It turned out looking alright but was a pain in the @$$ with 109 Objects. I tryed to make a Macro to make it easer but i couldent. If you cant help me, could you please direct me in the right direction (website, form, ect.). Thanks alot for your help.

fatalM4

just ctrl+A (select all) and then go to Modifiers>Mesh Editing>Normal Modifier and check Flip Normals over on the right
you can also just pick the Normal modifier from the modifier list box on the right once everythign is selected
then all objects in the scene will have the normal modifier applied to them

JoyBoard

Hey, this is pretty cool, I'll have a look at that.

@fatalM4: Well, I guess the output was a triangulated mesh, right? You should not use Smoothing on Meshes with triangles - Have you tried to smooth the normals instead?

Edit: I'm also wondering if the Poly UVs will be exported correctly. I'm currently trying to find a way to convert the wrl files to obj files in order to load them into Maya.

JoyBoard

Aaaalright, I managed to import our little fellah Link into Maya. But I lost all UV Informations, I guess because of the conversation from .wrl to .obj.

Nevertheless, a very cool feature! I think about rigging this little guy, weighting should not take all to long for 600 verts, hehe.

JoyBoard

Hey Knuckles,

Could you give me a screenshot of the Max UVW Editor while you selected a character or whatever? I'd like to see if UV's get exported properly as well.

Btw, heres Banjo - He consisted of about half the polyCount of Mario!

Knuckles

it's fine, I found the prob, but how do u make the textures to appear without having the render everything?

It looks way better than ingame :p

Last edited:

JoyBoard

Search for some Hardware Texturing Options for 3ds Max, that should solve the problem.

Well, could you upload such a model with proper UVs as 3ds or obj File? Would be great.

Knuckles

Well, I'm not really good in 3ds, I can open/import stuff, play a bit by modifying removing stuff, that's all :p

here's the GoldenEye ZMG (9mm) ;)

JoyBoard

Okay, managed to export to Maya with UVs, but they're not correct at all...

I assume that the texture for Links tunic was actually white and vertex coloring managed the rest - Am I right?

So here's a shaded, wire and render:

n64_link_03.jpg

Last edited:

JoyBoard

Without Texture Filtering:

n64_perfect_03.jpg

n64_perfect_04.jpg

n64_perfect_05.jpg

n64_perfect_06.jpg

n64_perfect_07.jpg

Oh, btw, because I don't have the slightest problems with Perfect Darks UVs and Textures I assume that Zelda OoT used some special Texture Wrapping Techniques - Anybody knows of something like that? The Zelda UVs are _very_ strange, it seems Nintendo used kind of a "Circular Wrapping" and other Tricks to fill the 0 to 1 space as good as possible. Very, very interesting...

Last edited:

Viper_Viper

What emulator are you guys using to export the VRML, becasue i tryed to use Nemu64 but it crashes alot, and I cant get the plugin to work with Project 64.

JoyBoard

Viper_Viper said:
What emulator are you guys using to export the VRML, becasue i tryed to use Nemu64 but it crashes alot, and I cant get the plugin to work with Project 64.

Just read the 2 Threads about exporting Geometry, it's pretty well documented.