What's new

Goldeneye the way God meant it

Dr. Cumshot

Has anyone tried Goldeneye 007 with a mouse and keyboard? It's pretty cool, you can make it like Half-Life. The only issue is the mouse input doesn't translate to analog stick very well, so using the aim function is worthless.

If you wanna try it set the control scheme on your pause menu (the watch) to setup 1.2 Solitare. Also, I suggest setting Look Up/Down to Upright, Auto-aim to Off, and Look Ahead to Off. Then use the attached setup in 1964, or just set it up as below.

D-pad (Walk/Sidestep) (interchangable with C buttons)
Up - W
Left - A
Right - D
Down - S

C Buttons (Walk/Sidestep) (interchangable with D-pad)
Up - Up
Left - Left
Right - Right
Down - Down

A (Change Weapon) - Mousewheel up
B (Use/Reload) - E
Z (Fire) - Left click
R (Aim, same as L) - Right Click
L (Aim, same as R) - Z
Start (Pause) - Space

Change it to suit your tastes, but you get the idea. This setup does see you going in guns blazing most of the time, because aiming becomes really weird. Turok/Perfect Dark/whatever else should probably be cool with something along these lines as well.

Last edited:

straight

I've enjoyed playing Duke Nukem ZERO HOUR and Sin and Punishment using a keyboard / mouse setup. I haven't decided whether Jet Force Gemini works better that way or not.

But yeah, I wouldn't even try playing Goldeneye or Perfect Dark except with a mouse. P.S. -- I think you mispelled "the way Carmack meant it." :p

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Did some of you ever tried Darkmasters Input plugin? It's the best for these way of playing!

Lord A.

The Wu From The North
I've tried a few games using mouse/keyboard, like Turok 1-3 + Rage Wars, GoldenEye and Jet Force Gemini.. And I've tried them with NRage's and Darkman's plugins, but I must say that I prefer the analog stick.. Even though I don't have an adapter so I could use a real N64 pad, for which these have been designed.. I have to settle with the crappy Playstation style analog, but even with that I feel more comfortable than with mouse/keyboard.. For PC FPS games I use mouse/keyboard of course, since it gives you a much more accurate control compared to a pad.. But with N64 (and other consoles' games as well), I feel that "using the mouse as analog" is somehow "sticky".... :p

dataangel

Whenever I try mouselook, it doesn't pick up the mouse well enough. Slight mouse movements aren't detected at all -- so creeping around corners doesn't work. :/

straight

dataangel said:
Whenever I try mouselook, it doesn't pick up the mouse well enough. Slight mouse movements aren't detected at all -- so creeping around corners doesn't work. :/

Huh? If you're using mouselook, the mouse should only be moving your head around. It's the slight keyboard taps that creep you around the corner.

With N-Rage's plugin, you can set up macros so that holding down a key (or you can set it to toggle) with increase or decrease the mouse sensitivity (or increase/decrease the sensitivity of the keyboard).

It's the only way I can play Banjo-Tooie with the keyboard, for instance, and aim the egg crosshair to hit cheat code letters.

D00k

Aiming in Goldeneye

You can make a Modifier for Goldeneye so that when you hold down the R button it actually aims like Half-Life.

In N-Rage's Input Settings go to Modifiers
Click New Modifier
Click Assign Mod
Hit the key for your R Button (for me it's my right mouse button)
Check Switch X-Mode
Check Switch Y-Mode
Hit Apply Changes

Holding down right click to zoom should let you aim just like a fps