What's new

How I made SoulCalibur SB CDI image to work with Chankast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabaturbo

This solution may work for those people getting the dreaded "VA cable" error when using a Self Boot CDI image of SoulCalibur.

You will need: (at least that was what I used)
- Padus DiscJuggler 4.10.1140
- HexWorkshop 4.23
- A self booting CDI image of SoulCalibur (doh!)
- Daemon-Tools 3.46

1 - Using Hexworkshop, find the text string 0799800 and change it to 0799A10. Attention here people! It's not hexcodes... it's a _text string_ you are looking for.

2 - Burn the edited image to a 700Mb CD-R with Discjuggler. I burned it in the standard DAO/SAO mode, using no options other than the "factory default" ones. Just before burning DJ will probably complain about the image structure... just _DONT'T_ let it "adjust" it for you.

These 2 steps alone would be enough. This CD-R is already "Chankast compliant". For a bit more speed in emulation you really should use an image, so the next step is...

3 - Create a CDI image from the CD-R. Be sure to again ignore any complaints from DJ.

The result is a "Chankast compatible" SoulCalibur CDI image that runs with no IO or "AV cable" errors whatsoever.

4 - Mount the CDI image with Daemon Tools. Run Chankast... enjoy

I know this edit-burn-read stuff sounds silly... but the original image and the final image will have more diferences than only the text string that was edited.

Don't ask... as silly as it sounds, all I can say is that it really worked for me... :p

ps. Please, don't burn the image from the Daemon drive... it isn't the same thing as burning the CDI directly.

Last edited:

TheFreeman

Guardian of Destiny
Read the sticky thread entitled: How to make homebrewn games self-bootable. I highly recommend doing the process with Franxis's selfboot program and tutorial, on page 3 or 4 of that same thread.

OP
J

Jabaturbo

Yeah, TheFreeman i've read that thread. The solution there is far more general than mine, and probably can fix a much wider range of "Chankast compliance" probs. :)

My prob was that the Soulcalibur image I had didn't have the ip.bin file, so I would have to mess around with things a bit further. I didn't have any other game handy, so I could copy the file from it. Out of laziness I tried the process I described above... and to my surprise it worked! ;)

motor11

Jabaturbo said:
Yeah, TheFreeman i've read that thread. The solution there is far more general than mine, and probably can fix a much wider range of "Chankast compliance" probs. :)

My prob was that the Soulcalibur image I had didn't have the ip.bin file, so I would have to mess around with things a bit further. I didn't have any other game handy, so I could copy the file from it. Out of laziness I tried the process I described above... and to my surprise it worked! ;)

there is a much faster,easier and less time consuming method.
simply apply a 1k ppf patch to the cdi image... you could search google for it... works like a charm for me, but the battles seem to play in half the fps i.e. 30 fps making the game no fun to play with...

Aks

I was able to patch mine, but when I select mode of play.... black screen, meh no biggie, I have a dreamcast(HA!)

mr_ding

I used the selfboot.rar to re-create Soul Calibur image (with ip.bin), the CD plays fine with Chankast. But I noticed that there are 3 tracks (2 audio, 1 data). Is this normal?

Then I used Disc Juggler to create a new .cdi and I can now use that with Chankast instead of Soul_Calibur_SB.cdi

OP
J

Jabaturbo

My final image has only two tracks...

1st - Audio - size: 2:36:0
2nd - Data/Mode2 - size 76:53:28

If yours is working ok I guess it doesn't really matter.

IceFlow2

Do you have to use Daemon Tools or will any virtual drive work ie. Alcohol 120%?

motor11 said:
simply apply a 1k ppf patch to the cdi image... you could search google for it... works like a charm for me, but the battles seem to play in half the fps i.e. 30 fps making the game no fun to play with...

Please don't take this the wrong way but you say it worked like a charm yet the battles are half speed.

I think Ill try the more time consuming way if it means the batttles will be normal speed.

edit: Hex Workshop keeps saying I dont have enough space and locks up all the time screw that!

Last edited:

IceFlow2

motor11 said:
What is the actual name of the patch.

Better yet what causes the AV cable error,does that mean the CD isnt self booting?

mezkal

Man on a mission
The A/V Cable error refers to a flag that hasn't been set properly in IP.BIN that tells the DC that the game supports the VGA Connector (Which Chankast .1 Alpha emulates alone - all games need to be VGA compatible to boot in this Chankast version). Ice look around the forums at the Getting Homebrewed Games Booting Sticky thread. That will answer your question and might even give you a solution.

Cheers,

Mezkal

Freesnake

won't be that complex.i just use fastboot、isobuster and binhack,these three could solve nearly all the problem about DC image.

OP
J

Jabaturbo

IceFlow2 said:
I think Ill try the more time consuming way if it means the batttles will be normal speed.

edit: Hex Workshop keeps saying I dont have enough space and locks up all the time screw that!

Iceflow2:

In hexworkshop just go to Options\Preferences\Configuration and check "enable direct file editing". The editing will be done directly on the file, and you won't need any aditional disk space. In fact, the editing is so direct that you won't need even to save the file after changing it! ;)

About the speed: The speed of the emulation is 60fps most of the time... sometimes falling to 30fps. I don't know if it have anything to do with the image, or it's a computer speed thing.

IceFlow2

I managed to patch the CDI image (First Read.BIN) using one of those tools from the other thread.

The game works now but only from a CD with short pauses and 35FPS during fights. I have tried mounting the patched .CDI image using DAEMON and Alcohol Virtual Devices but I get the I/O error.

I made an image from the Patched CD that works with Chanka. I use Alcohol 120% using the "normal CD" profile (DAO/SAO) @2X .Both times when I tried to mount the .mdf/.mds image it said this is not a valid image file. This has never happened to me before using Alcohol so I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

Does Dreamcast use copy protection, what image making programs are known to work?

Breakdown:
I can mount the original .CDI image with Alcahol 120% & Daemon 3.46 but I get I/O errors.
I burnt the image to CD and it works with Chanka.
I made a image from the working/patched CD but it is always corrupt.
I want a image file that works with DAEMON or Alcohol virtual drives to improve performance.

Please help?

Last edited:

jareg

Just A Guy
IceFlow2 said:
I managed to patch the CDI image (First Read.BIN) using one of those tools from the other thread.

The game works now but only from a CD with short pauses and 35FPS during fights. I have tried mounting the patched .CDI image using DAEMON and Alcohol Virtual Devices but I get the I/O error.

I made an image from the Patched CD that works with Chanka. I use Alcohol 120% using the "normal CD" profile (DAO/SAO) @2X .Both times when I tried to mount the .mdf/.mds image it said this is not a valid image file. This has never happened to me before using Alcohol so I'm not quite sure what the problem is.

Does Dreamcast use copy protection, what image making programs are known to work?

Breakdown:
I can mount the original .CDI image with Alcahol 120% & Daemon 3.46 but I get I/O errors.
I burnt the image to CD and it works with Chanka.
I made a image from the working/patched CD but it is always corrupt.
I want a image file that works with DAEMON or Alcohol virtual drives to improve performance.

Please help?

The Deamon Tools 3.29 solwed the IOcontrol error for me

IceFlow2

Yep i tracked down 3.29 and problem solved. I wonder why 3.46 doesent work?

Anyway the game runs as smooth as butter, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.