What's new

Please. Open Source Saturn Emulator.

Do you agree? open source saturn emulator

• Total voters

gsaturntool

What is the factor cause playstation 1 emulator so success ?

Yes. You are right. Open Source, shared source code, multi emulator
developer, multi emulator plugin, shared idea. How many PS1 plugin you can
found and how many PS1 emulator able to use the plugin?

Why Open Source Saturn Emulator?

This is the only way to increase the chance to the success of the saturn
emulator. Now we can found a lot of the saturn emulator from the internet, how many of them can success to play all the saturn game? no sound? incomplete graphic? discontinue? incompatible? a lot of bug? This is the answer right?

No! Once more than one developer develop the emulator plugin and the
emulator, successful of the saturn emulator is not the dream again.

Do you agree?

Quvack

Uhm, the Saturn emulators out there are progressing fairly well, its a difficult machine to emulate. Open sourcing doesnt always help an emulator, and there isnt a huge number of people out there who know how to code emulator specific stuff.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
If it is closed source, you can still ask the author to join or for him to help you with a little problem.
All open source does is that whoever wants can look at the source and do whatever they want with it. Open source isn't a necessary thing for emulators' well being.

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Doomulation said:
Open source isn't a necessary thing for emulators' well being.

Au contraire. PJ64 isn't open-source, and look where it is now. Compare that to Mupen.

I like this article. The key bit is the comment that the usefulness of all non-Free software converges on zero. It's dang true.

Vassago

The Khan Artist said:
Au contraire. PJ64 isn't open-source, and look where it is now. Compare that to Mupen.

I like this article. The key bit is the comment that the usefulness of all non-Free software converges on zero. It's dang true.

Yeah, but how many were open source at the time that PJ64 had it's boom? Think maybe they had ideas?

OP
G

gsaturntool

>>There is already an open sourced Saturn emulator anyways - early stages yet but it's on Sourceforge

Do you have the web address?

>>the Saturn emulators out there are progressing fairly well, its a difficult machine to emulate

Yes. You are right. have 2 SH2 cpu machine.

[vEX]

niechift.com
gsaturntool said:
What is the factor cause playstation 1 emulator so success ?

Yes. You are right. Open Source, shared source code, multi emulator
developer, multi emulator plugin, shared idea. How many PS1 plugin you can
found and how many PS1 emulator able to use the plugin?
The only open source PlayStation emulator I can think if is PCSX, the rest of them are close-source as far as I know.
And look at Chankast, closed-source project that emulated the Dreamcast in 3 months and it's doing a damn good job too.

OP
G

gsaturntool

>>The only open source PlayStation emulator I can think if is PCSX, the rest of them are close-source as far as I know.

Most of the emulator plugin source code you can found on the plugin website. PCSX is able to play PS1 game.

Mr Dragon

There is plenty of Open Source code for emulating a Saturn. Of course none of them emulate the video or sound but the basics are there.

It seems people think that emulating a dual processor machine is difficult. On the contrary, with the Saturn emulating the SH2 chips is the easist thing you can do given the wealth of documentation and source code availible. It's the other parts of the system that provide a stumbling block and hence why there are very few fully working emulators for the Saturn out there.

As mentioned earlier there is yabause which looking thruogh the source appears to be written by a french gentleman. In addition to that you can find Project Titan source around; I've seen it hosted on Zophar. While you're at it you can get the old semu Linux source off there too.

However the most overlooked source for open Saturn code is the STV emulation contained in the Mame project. There's loads of good stuff in there and someone with a lot of patience could probebly extract a full Saturn emulator from it.

Shin_Gouki

i see the point but IMO its a bit to idealistic... in the end its not THAT simeple :(
even though i often dram also of such ideas LOL
wbr Shin Gouki

OP
G

gsaturntool

if say have 7 developer and all of them have done a good coding on a single saturn cpu unit. and this 7 developer have share the source code for the working unit for each other, then 7 working unit become a working saturn emulator or 7 working saturn emulator from 7 developer.

Mr Dragon

gsaturntool said:
if say have 7 developer and all of them have done a good coding on a single saturn cpu unit. and this 7 developer have share the source code for the working unit for each other, then 7 working unit become a working saturn emulator or 7 working saturn emulator from 7 developer.

Things don't work that way. Almost all authors writing an emulator will struggle in the same areas. While all of those authors might have working SH2 emulation perhaps none of them will have a working VPD1 or CD access, for example. As such you can't partition the project so that one person works on the VDP2 while another works on the SMPC. Besides how are you supposed to develop and test that one aspect you've been given with no other part of the emulator existing ?

One aspect of Open Source most people seem to be missguided about is what happens when you release a project. It is very uncommon for programmers to suddenly converge on your code to work on it. At most they will download the code to help them work on their own project which in turn becomes open source when they get bored. Look at Semu and Titan, the source has been availible for years and yet no one has added to the original authors code in both cases.

Sauron-Jin

Open Source emulators also are easily ported to other systems/operating systems by people completely out of the main project, making the emu more available for more people, and this also alleviates the work of the main coders if they planned to make ports. for example, the huge quantity of emus working on the xbox machine, they wouldn't be possible without Open source emulators (and people porting them, thanks, i love you all :p )

Last edited: