What's new

Change Dreamcast Bios From Pal/span To Ntsc/eng!

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
How to Change the Region of the Dreamcast Bios

As we all know, the most used bios for Chankast that was released is a PAL/(Span)ish BIOS. Many people have said it is the only annoying thing with Chankast since most people including us were not able to find a NTSC/(Eng)lish BIOS or we couldn't flash it from our own DreamCast's.

We have now found a way to modify your preexisting PAL/Spanish BIOS to a normal NTSC/English BIOS, better yet, any combination you want with even more languages to choose from!!

I. What you need:
- Hex Editor (Choose Between: Hex WorkShop | XVI32)

II. Unzip Sega DreamCast Bios
Unzip the Sega DreamCast Bios if you haven't before (If you have already done this step if you played Chankast already, skip this step, if this is your first time with it all, keep reading) using WinRAR.

III. Open the Hex Editor (either Hex Workshop or XVI32 is best)
Open dc_flash.bin, then Search down through the file for "211Dreamcast" (its about 4/5 of the way into the file, just before a list of the japanese developers' names). Change that 211Dreamcast to 121Dreamcast. That string appears twice. That string appears twice. It worked with just one changed, but its probably a good idea to change both instances.

IV. Save the DreamCast Bios
Save the bios over the prexesiting original, we also recommend you keep a backup of the original just incase you mess up.

V. Congratulations!
Your bios is now a normal NTSC (with the Red Swirl, PAL is with the Blue Swirl) and it's in English too! If you would like to request a different language or combination, reply to this post and we can help you out.

Notes: To change it to other languages yourself, you have to change the second digit to other numbers (either with the prexisting PAL combination or NTSC combination). Feel free to play around with it. We can't guarentee if this won't screw up playability with other games or make it any better, so try it out both ways (original and your own) and see how it is.

(i found this in another site.i cants say the site because has illegal links inside.)

Last edited:

[vEX]

niechift.com
Region change for dc_flash.bin:
When you go to pos. 0x1A002, with an Hex editor, you can change it to:
0x30: Japan region (NTSC, Orange swirl),
0x31: USA region (NTSC, Orange swirl),
0x32: Euro (Pal, Blue swirl)
Found this somewhere.

XBOX

CHANKA CONTRIBUTOR
Ex0skelet0r said:
As we all know, the most used bios for Chankast that was released is a PAL/(Span)ish BIOS. Many people have said it is the only annoying thing with Chankast since most people including us were not able to find a NTSC/(Eng)lish BIOS or we couldn't flash it from our own DreamCast's.

We have now found a way to modify your preexisting PAL/Spanish BIOS to a normal NTSC/English BIOS, better yet, any combination you want with even more languages to choose from!!

I. What you need:

Unzip the Sega DreamCast Bios if you haven't before (If you have already done this step if you played Chankast already, skip this step, if this is your first time with it all, keep reading) using WinRAR.

Open dc_flash.bin, then Search down through the file for "211Dreamcast" (its about 4/5 of the way into the file, just before a list of the japanese developers' names). Change that 211Dreamcast to 121Dreamcast. That string appears twice. That string appears twice. It worked with just one changed, but its probably a good idea to change both instances.

Save the bios over the prexesiting original, we also recommend you keep a backup of the original just incase you mess up.

V. Congratulations!
Your bios is now a normal NTSC (with the Red Swirl, PAL is with the Blue Swirl) and it's in English too! If you would like to request a different language or combination, reply to this post and we can help you out.

Notes: To change it to other languages yourself, you have to change the second digit to other numbers (either with the prexisting PAL combination or NTSC combination). Feel free to play around with it. We can't guarentee if this won't screw up playability with other games or make it any better, so try it out both ways (original and your own) and see how it is.

(i found this in another site.i cants say the site because has illegal links inside.is this illegal?)

WARNING : DONT CHANGE THE SECOND VALUE "211Dreamcast", if you do the bios will be screwed, you can test by yourself by backing it up first.

Stezo2k

S-2K
XBOX said:
WARNING : DONT CHANGE THE SECOND VALUE "211Dreamcast", if you do the bios will be screwed, you can test by yourself by backing it up first.

just tried it, and it works fine, there are no problems with it :)

Arakon

remove the readonly flag from the dc_flash.bin, change language in the options of the DC menu. it'll stay in english.

XBOX

CHANKA CONTRIBUTOR
Arakon said:
remove the readonly flag from the dc_flash.bin, change language in the options of the DC menu. it'll stay in english.

funny thing the clocks still goes back to 1998 no matter what you do :ala:

Shin

nice Ex0skelet0r but do you know the set up for a french bios?

and another question, i would like to know if it comes from my pc or
your bios clock is very speed like 1s for 1min in the dream bios.

thx

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
Shin there are only those regions:
JAP
USA
PAL
ESP
if you want to set the language of your bios to french then press right click in the dc_flash.bin and uncheck the read only option, then change the language from the bios and close the chankas from the options/exit (not by pressing the x)
this will save the language.

no its not your pc that do the bios run with seconds.its the dreamcast bios.this is the same for all of us

Shin

Thx for your reply
I think they should fix this bug maybe it can help to speedup the emu by using another clocktime

thx again

Last edited:

Chris_W

I found this strange ...

How do I tell the difference between Dreamcasts from different regions.

- Look at the little triangle of plastic above the power light on the GD-ROM
lid. If its clear, that's a Japanese Dreamcast, if its solid grey its either
a US or a PAL Dreamcast (If its PAL the Dreamcast swirl logo will be in
blue, the US swirl is orange like the Japanese logo.) If its red, then your
machine is Canadian (Canadian consoles are otherwise identical to the US
ones).

The Canadian Swirl is Red ? :huh:

AndXY

when I start chankast, the red swirl appears.
then it shows: Set Data/Time. L/R on the controller moves the cursor.
U/D on the controller changes the settings.!!!

when I "select", it asks me a second time to change the data.....
I "select" and the menu appears. now i want to "play" and it resets !!!

then it asks me again to change the data/time...

GCFreak

Ex0skelet0r said:

I. What you need:

V. Congratulations!

(i found this in another site.i cants say the site because has illegal links inside.)

Thanks a bunch mate. You own!

EDIT: This topic should be stuck, don't you think?

EDIT2: I made the PAL bios english with keeping it with the blue swirl!

Last edited:

Dante89

I pwn your guts for a dollar
??????

I dont get it
When I open up dc_flash.bin I just see a bunch of zeros all the way down. I dont see anything about a 121 or a 211 or anything like that on it. Can somebody help me?

v2freak

I got this error:

" Hex Workshop was unable to complete the requested operation. Please make sure you have enough disk space available for temporary files or change your temporary file path in preferences

Access is denied "

I know I have enough disk space...

Mouser X

When I got my DC BIOS files, they were already the NTSC version, so I didn't have to do this. However, they were also write protected, to prevent Chankast from corrupting them. My guess is that your BIOS files are write-protected, so Hex Workshop can't overwrite the file with the one you want to save. Right click the BIOS file, and select properties to see the file attributes (if you didn't already know that). Hope that helps. Mouser X over and out.