What's new

TUTORIAL: How to make your homebrew games bootable

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
Notice that you can first try my program ExoBoot. It will helps you a lot for making selfbootable games
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?t=21680
If this doesn't helps you then:

STEP 1:
If you have aspi drivers installed on your pc continue to step 2
If you dont have aspi drivers download this file: ftp://ftp.nero.com/wnaspi32.dll Copy wnaspi32.dll to the %windir%\System32 folder (no need for reboot). (example: "C:\WINDOWS\system32")

STEP 2:
Download this file: http://www.dcemu.co.uk/selfboot.rar
Extract all the files in a folder (example: "c:\dreamcast\")
After that run scanbus.bat
This will give you the ID of your CD-Writer and your CD-Reader
scanbus will spit out loads of crap, but you're looking for this:

scsibus2:
2,0,0 200) 'MATSHITA' 'DVD-RAM SW-9581 ' 'B102' Removable CD-ROM
2,1,0 201) 'HITACHI ' 'DVD-ROM GD-7500 ' '0005' Removable CD-ROM
2,2,0 202) *
2,3,0 203) *
2,4,0 204) *
2,5,0 205) *
2,6,0 206) *
2,7,0 207) HOST ADAPTOR

You need the ID of your CD-Writer and reader
For example mine is 2,0,0 for the CD-Writer and 2,1,0 for the CD-Reader

STEP 3:
Now, edit your selfboot.bat file (open it with notepad or any other program you want), you need to edit lines 2-6, which look like this:

SET MAINDIR= <--- Directory of where the batch files, etc are kept
SET WRITER= <--- scanbus ID of your CD-Writer
SET READERSCSI= <--- scanbus ID of your CD-Reader
SET READER= <--- Driver letter of your CD-Reader
SET GAMENAME= <--- Name of the CD (who gives a crap really)

For example,

SET MAINDIR=c:\dreamcast\
SET WRITER=2,0,0
SET READERSCSI=2,1,0
SET READER=E
SET GAMENAME=GAME

STEP 4:
In your cd reader you must have the cd of your non-bootable homebrew game
In your cd writer you must have a blank cd or cd/rw (the program will erase the disk for you if it's not empty)
Now thats it, run selfboot.bat and follow the instructions.(it's very easy after this point.you will asked only to write some name and numbers which the program will give you and hit some enters)
This method works for both CDDA and non-CDDA games

Pedro
#dcemu - EFNet if you're really dumb

Modified by Exoskeletor (Hope this helps more guys)

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
thanks for the info mate, i will add a link to this in the compatability list

might try it later :)

Edit: looks like this batch file helps you to replace the IP.bin, which is causing the VGA problems, and also re-selfboots the game, so this should increase compatability quite a bit :)

Last edited:
OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
i was ready to make a new account :) .I have been banned 2 times for such posts.im happy this time :) hello admins.Exoskeletor noob is back :D

freshfish

but, what if..

thanks for the very nicely detailed guide. but, what if you only have 1 cd drive? for example, I only have one Pioneer DVD-R on my PC. I even tried using your method, following it step-by-step with a mounted drive using Alcohol 120% and it just came up with one error after another. Any tips? Any help would be appreciated. :p

rcgamer

the old guy
i was wondering the same thing. i already got two coasters so far. it just burns two tracks that are 1kb. cda tracks.

JKidd

i get the blue screen error when clicking scanbus.bat i dont know if i have aspi so is that the problem?

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
jkidd: this might be the problem.do the 1st step and try again.(tell me your operational system)

rcgamer: are you entering the directory with the files of the selfboot.rar correctly? "SET MAINDIR=c:\dreamcast\" (watch the back slashes). in more cases this happens if you dont enter the path correctly.you have 2 cd drives?the cd is burning correctly but there are only 2 cda tracks from 1kb each?

freshfish: you have only one drive not recordable?you want to make an image in your pc?try to set the save drive for cd writer and cd reader.after that open the selfboot.bat and delete those lines:

CLS
echo.
echo Now writing the data.iso
echo.
cdrecord -dev=%WRITER% -xa1 data.iso

CLS
echo.
echo Deleteing necessary files
echo.
del %MAINDIR%1ST_READ.BIN
del %MAINDIR%audio_*.wav
del %MAINDIR%data.iso

this should do the trick.the batch file creates a data.iso before it burns it.After that the batch file will delete the files(1st_read.bin,audio files,data.iso).if you delete those words it should left your iso on your pc.
(f this don't work try to delete only this:

CLS
echo.
echo Deleteing necessary files
echo.
del %MAINDIR%1ST_READ.BIN
del %MAINDIR%audio_*.wav
del %MAINDIR%data.iso

and try again)

try to check the batch file every time you making a bootable cd.if the program works correctly it should make a /data folder in the path you have enter in the "SET MAINDIR=" line (the folder you have all the files from the selfboot.rar)

(when the batch file ask from you to enter the names of
Binary = 1ST_READ.BIN
bootsector = IP.BIN
: ISO = data.iso
and MSINFO = 0,12480 (this is an example.the batch file will give you other number that this one)

write them exactly as it gives them to you.with the file extension and the msinfo without the "0,")

try this guys and tell me again

Last edited:

[vEX]

niechift.com
When you set the maindir don't forget the slash at the end; ie: C:\Dreamcast\ and not C:\Dreamcast.
I must say Pedro did a good job putting this batch together.

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
yes vex has right.edit done :)
Pedro did an excellent job.he save as a lot of work.without this it was very difficult to make a bootable game

Pedro-

Remember to put a back slash at the end of the maindir, for example:

CORRECT
c:\selboot\

INCORRECT
c:\selfboot
c:/selfboot/
c:/selfboot

People, please read the readme!
I'll be releaseing a new version soon which should eliminate this

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
im happy to see you here.are you going to release a gui version?
(this is your read me bro..i have only add some lines and change 1)

Last edited:

JKidd

Umm i dont get a msinfo number.Im guessing it wont work with a virtual drive.I am trying giant gram 2000.Do you need to have the cd in a a cdrw?Or should it work with the cd image?

Waan2k

Emutalk Lover :)
yeah same hear Jkidd I'd like to know how to make my copy of Giant Gram 2000 image bootable :)

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
this batch file cant work with images for now.Burn your homebrew game in a cd and try again.

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
much better indeed.when it delete the 3 files
del data\1ST_READ.BIN
del data\dummy.*
del data\ip.bin
it shows a message after that which it says that it couldn't find those files. but the files have been deleted..i dont know if this is a bug or not