What's new

TUTORIAL: How to make your homebrew games bootable

spaffdog

as always things are never easy....
i've tried this method on capcom vs snk2.. didn't wrk.. sega gt homolgation special.. didn't wrk....

i followed everything to the letter. exactly. just doesn't boot at all.. audio screen : (

i've just downloaded the new version exo just posted.. see what that achieves.. failing that i'll use one of my other pc's and try burning on them

Last edited:

spaffdog

well.. i've just tried soul caliber..... doesn't wrk either : (

i'm totally at a loss what could be wrong?? any ideas??
the disc burns fine, just chanka doesn't like it at all

i think what i'm going to do is...
burn straight to cdr rather than cdrw.. try it on my dreamcast.. if it works then something else is wrong...

i've heard mention of windows 200 not being supported by chanka.. i run 2000.... could that be a problem... other games wrk.. just not many

PROBLEM SOLVED!!!! just tried it out on one of my pc's with XP (i hate it) and everything wrks! all games taht didnt wrk b4 do now!

I hate XP!!!! looks like i'd better re-install..... had a feeling this would be the reason

Last edited:

spaffdog

further to my windows 2000 discovery.....

i've realised the games that DID work were of the data/data selfboot variety...

very strange that audio/data doesn't wrk yet data/data does.. ah well...

might hold out for the new release. cos i hate xp....

ArcaneLore

I've successfully burned a cd using selfboot.bat, but Seventh Cross Evolution freezes after the Dreamcast swirl. The little paragraph of text displays, but then the fps locks and nothing else happens. Does anyone know what is going wrong?

TheFreeman

Guardian of Destiny
Well, hooray :bouncy: , I tried the new selfboot exoskeletor kindly posted just recently, and it worked perfectly :p

Question to RCGAMER and R00ster: Did you, before making the whole process, edited the ip.bin with ipbin4win program? Cause I didnt, I forgot to do that, lol, but the game works nevertheless, even though, the VS screen you show on your post, RCGAMER, has graphical corruption on my game.

Maybe the graphic corruption was due to the fact that I didnt edit the ip.bin prior to starting the process?

Even more, the CDRECORDER tool URL that you find inside e-selfboot is NOT working, so if anyone has this zip file: cdrtools-1.9a03-win32-bin.zip , please be kind to send it to my hotmail account (its on my profile).

Last edited:

R00ster

No i didn´t edit the ip.bin.
You don´t have to.
Soul Calibur works almost perfect, except some menu bugs and little ingame glitches.

iamanoise

Hi,

the selfboot program seems to work only with SCSI devices. In fact, "scan bus" utility doesn't shows any result with ATA CD player/CD recorder.

Can I create a self boot disk with ATA devices?

TheGuru

MAMEDev Dumper
iamanoise said:
Hi,

the selfboot program seems to work only with SCSI devices. In fact, "scan bus" utility doesn't shows any result with ATA CD player/CD recorder.

go back and re-read the first post, step 1

Guru

TheFreeman

Guardian of Destiny
R00ster said:
No i didn´t edit the ip.bin.
You don´t have to.
Soul Calibur works almost perfect, except some menu bugs and little ingame glitches.

Well, I didnt edit it, but in RCGAMER'S screenshot, he shows the versus screen, and its PERFECT. On my version, the versus screen is full of garbage.

So, does anyone have the cdrtools-1.9a03-win32-bin.zip file? Please reply or send me a PM.

Even more, how can you tell if a Dreamcast image is CDDA or non CDDA?

Last edited:

R00ster

It could rely ony your graphics card maybe he have a ATI Radeon 9800 XT ,who knows?
I dont have that bug , but I have some graphical bugs in the Menu where I have to choose my fighter.
I have a Geforce 4 ti 4200.

TheFreeman

Guardian of Destiny
So you're saying that EVERY VS screen is perfect? I would like RCGAMER to reply on this matter too.

PIL

iamanoise said:
Hi,

cdrecord -scanbus showed my ATA CDR-W and Serial-ATA HDD's just fine, maybe you need to have ASPI-Layer installed ?

TheFreeman

Guardian of Destiny
R00ster said:
It could rely ony your graphics card maybe he have a ATI Radeon 9800 XT ,who knows?
I dont have that bug , but I have some graphical bugs in the Menu where I have to choose my fighter.
I have a Geforce 4 ti 4200.

So you're saying that EVERY VS screen is perfect? I would like RCGAMER to reply on this matter too.

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
it works with every game 100%
you haven't done something right or this emulator doesn't support this game at this version

Shadowclone

Burned selfboot discs seems to be very hardware dependant, at least in my case...
I've tried burning MSR using both the latest selfboot package and the e-selfbt.zip.

On my first winxp system both discs display only an audiocd with 1 or 2 cda files,
but on my other winxp system it displays the full contents of the cd.
Why is this? Both readers are dvd drives...

mezkal

Man on a mission
Shadowclone said:
Burned selfboot discs seems to be very hardware dependant, at least in my case...
I've tried burning MSR using both the latest selfboot package and the e-selfbt.zip.

On my first winxp system both discs display only an audiocd with 1 or 2 cda files,
but on my other winxp system it displays the full contents of the cd.
Why is this? Both readers are dvd drives...

Wow are they? How cool! Must mean that they BOTH ACT EXACTLY the same!!

ROFL just kidding.

Better that you identify the brand and model of each drive and post the info here. Maybe we'll need to build some kinda CDR/DVDR compat. list??

Mods? What do u reckon? Or is it still too early?

Peace

mezkal

PS : Real DC users know that selfboot games need to burned at 1 X for Guaranteed Compatibility. In these days of smarter drives I think it might actually be a necessity. A difference in a normal cd's TOC may not bother a games installer on Windows but it may certainly cause problems with a Dreamcast. Just so you know..... :p

Last edited:

Shadowclone

Well, my LG DVD-ROM DRD8160B can't read any selfboot disc type audio/data correctly, however data/data selfboot is no problem. I just don't know how to make those.
The drive that works is a BenQ 4x4x12 DVD-RW, don't have any more info about this one.

p.s. yes, I know 1x speed is for better compat., but for my real dreamcast I have always burned at high speed without a hitch.
Also, my cdwriter burns crappy at low speeds, don't know why...

Last edited:

nightridrzx2

ok i was able to make a self bootable copy of Soul Caliber, following the tutorial word for word. but when i try loading the cd in Chanka or the dreamcast, as said before, both reboot back to the dreamcast logo (i.e. restarts the system). am i doing anything wrong?