What's new

TUTORIAL: How to make your homebrew games bootable

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
[vEX], did you try Soul Calibur (common one with the vga prob.. soul caliber.nrg) with this? I did, everything goes OK until it gets to the burn process, then I get a bunch of errors (check the shot). I have everything set up as instructed, and a blank CD in my CD-RW drive and the burned ISO in my DVD-ROM.. what's the prob?

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
it seems that the batch file has problems with your cd writer or your blank cd's.
Have you try to burn the data.iso yourself (this iso is your bootable game)?
(this iso is creating every time in the folder with the batch files)
if the data.iso is deleting automaticly delete this line from the selfboot.bat:
del data.iso

Last edited:
OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
do it again and check the folder just before it try to burn the game..there will be a data.iso file.
delete the line: del data.iso frm the selfboot.bat to keep this file
are you using selfboot v2? in which step you have the problem?

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Hmm.. I watched the whole process, it never did make an data.iso.. odd. I'm using v1 and tried everything mentioned in this thread.. suppose I'll try v2.

FallOfDaemon

Soul Calibur Title Screen

Using an image mounted on a virtual drive and a cd-rw, I managed to get Soul Calibur to boot properly using the selfboot.bat, but I cannot get past the title screen....

Just keep getting a black screen when I select any option besides "Options" and "Gallery".

I had some burn errors, so I'll try it again.

Last edited:
OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
thats good fallofdaemon.no dont try it again.if it is bootable now then the game is ok.the problem has to do with the chankast i think.has anyone the same problems with soulcalibur?
cooliscool if you dont see an data.iso then you are 1 step behind before it makes it.try to use v2 and if you have problems again tell me in which step you have them.
in my pc both versions works ok
i recommend to use this program: http://65.108.230.150/downloads/mybootdisks_com/nu2/aspiyou15.zip in order to see your host adapters

Last edited:

[vEX]

niechift.com
cooliscool: This was indeed the method I used for getting my Soul Calibur working.

FallOfDeamon: Are your using the normal version or the new gfx one? It should work with the normal one, at least it did for me.

FallOfDaemon

Soul Calibur

Meh, no luck.. Can't get past the menu screen. I'm using the normal chankast_alpha. The chankast_alpha_new_gfx would crash on me ( and the chankast_alpha_capcom_hack had the same problem with the normal one ). I'll just wait for a new version.

Good news is that I noticed the opening cutscene works almost perfectly, taunting me slowly and painfully..................

Last edited:

R00ster

Is their not an alternative Program like selfboot_v2.
It doesn´t work . Ive tested both versions and it don´t burn the first session(sound)
And when it comes to th session after the bin name and number it asked it even didn´t burn
ANd im sure that i have chaged the Id ´s right in the selfboot.bat.
I have windowsxp and ihave downloaded the dll file and pasted into my system32 directory!

I would be glad if you could help me.

TheFreeman

Guardian of Destiny
Exoskeletor, what if we dont want to make CD-rs? or have an ISO to start with? how do we patch it?

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
TheFreeman: burn your image in a rewritable disk (i have check alcohol and daemon tools and i cant patch my games correctly with them), open the selfboot_v2.bat with the notebook, set as always the cd reader and the cd writer BUT:
delete the step 8 that is:
CLS
echo.
echo STEP 8
echo.
echo Now writing the data.iso and finishing off
echo.
cdrecord -dev=%WRITER% -eject -xa1 data.iso
PAUSE
del 1ST_READ.BIN
del audio_*.wav
del data.iso
and save it again with another name (example: selfboot_v2_images.bat)
now run the selfboot_v2_images.bat.in the end you with have a data.iso which its your bootable game in the same folder you have the selfboot_v2_images.bat

luca8410: yes it is for every game you want :) (not playable..bootable)

R00ster

@Exo
Sorry Ive had no time since yet.
Ive checke d everything again and read this thread carefully and I have the same problem like cooliscool.
Would it work better if i boot my pc in dosmode and then run the selfboot bat ??

OP
Ex0skelet0r

Ex0skelet0r

Unreal Assasin
R00ster: No it wont.
there is a problem with your cd/dvd drives.
1) Try to set for both cd reader and cd writer the cd writer ..(insert the cd and when the batch file ask you for a blank cd or a rewritable remove your game and insert a blank cd)
2) If this doesnt fix the problem try to set for a cd reader a virtual device (alcohol or daemon tools) and for a cd writer your cd writer
im testing another method now.if i see results i will edit this post again.stay tuned
try those and tell me again

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
I have finally got soul caliber to boot. here are some screens I used e-selfbt.zip just do a serch for it on the web. and i followed the included instructions (making sure to triple check everything). i used the instructions for cdrecord method. it worked.

if you dont have ip.bin dont worry . just use one from another game and use ip4win to patch it with your new game data.

oh yeah......i played it with the burned disc. it plays choppier than an image.

Last edited:

rcgamer

the old guy
heres another one i got to work. virtua athlete 2k

After your done burning use discjuggler to make an image file. its the easiest to use . you dont have to change any settings. just have your cd that you made in the drive, start discjuggler and click new-cd/dvd image and in the new window click start.
the images really do run much better than discs. this one froze when i ran it from disc but the image works fine. not full speed but good.

BTW virtua tennis 2k2 freezesright after boot(wich is still better than not booting at all)
wild metal gives mmu not supported error.

Last edited:

R00ster

I guess i know now why its not workin.
Ive did it as you told i mounted the game with deamon then i tried to burn it with selfboot_v2 but the same error occured.
Then i just found a cdrw with 16x max speed and took that, then he burned everything right.
Unfortuneatley the cdrw was just 650mbs :yucky: so he burned it but know i get a io control error at the sega logo.
S0 i have to buy a cdrw.....
EDIT:
Yes now it works for me too know :w00t:
I´ve bought a cdrw with 700Mbs and 10x max speed.
My normal(3 different brands) cd-r´s with 52xmax speed were incompatible .
But now it works, thank you very much for your support exo!!!!
soul2.JPG

Last edited: