What's new

Direct64 v0.5 ALPHA

Martin

Administrator
<a href="http://www.emutalk.net/member.php?u=2088">Orkin</a> has just released Direct64, a DirectX 9 plugin for N64 emulators:

<font class=post_quote>For the past few months I've been working on a DirectX 9 plugin that uses the latest features of today's GPUs to get as close to the N64 as possible. That plugin is called Direct64 (orginal name, huh?).

I had planned on getting more much done on this before releasing, but it's been so long since I've released anything to the public that I'm going to go ahead and release it as an alpha version. As such, keep in mind that this is very much a WIP, so expect bugs, crashes, and various glitches.

Direct64 is based on the glN64 source code, but many changes have been made since I began working on it. Here's what's different in Direct64 v0.5 ALPHA from glN64 v0.4.1:

• Changed graphics API from OpenGL to DirectX 9
  • Changed combiner to use pixel shaders (PS 2.0 recommended)
  • Added software triangle clipping
  • Added overscan simulation
  • Added software depth buffer rendering (see Zelda coronas/lens flare)
  • Added Zelda "four suns" bug hack
  • Added OrkinSampling (FSAA doesn't work with the new framebuffer
  • Added preliminary LOD factor support (see SM64 Bowser/Peach painting transition)
  • Added HQ2X and HQ4X texture filters (thanks to Maxim Stepin)
  • Improved S2DEX and S2DEX2 microcode support
  • Improved blender emulation
  • Improved noise emulation using pixel shaders
  • Improved depth image support
  • Improved color image support
  • Improved depth bias for decals
  • Fixed a bug related to switching microcodes using gSPLoadUCodeEx

The plugin requires DirectX 9, and at least PS 1.1 support (although PS 2.0 is recommended).

The future of glN64 is unclear. Although it will definately be continued in some form, whether or not I will integrate the two plugins into one, or keep them seperate, I haven't decided...

I hope you all enjoy the plugin. I expect to be able to put more work in to it in the future, as next week is finals week...

EDIT:
I fixed a couple bugs tonight and updated the ZIP, so re-download to get the following fixes:
  • Fixed a bug in the blender that could cause fog to be enabled at the wrong time
  • Fixed a bug that could cause missing textures if an advanced filter is selected
</font>

Good to see a release from Orkin again! Grab the file by clicking the link below.

<b><a href="http://www.emutalk.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=15249">Download Direct64 v0.5 ALPHA</a></b>

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
I love this plugin already, even in it's alpha the progress is very nice, and it's emulating things extremely well when compatible. Awesome work Orkin, keep it up. Nice to see big advancements in an emulation area that seems to be slowing down.

BFeely

Wow, that's the best image on Zelda Majora's Mask Ihave ever seen. However, when the bell rings in the morning and the display shrinks, there is a little glitch:

EDIT: Oops, forgot to post my system specs: Windows XP Pro, NVidia GeforceFX 5200, Forceware 60.72. Also, the Bomber's notebook doesn't display.

Last edited:

CLSugarman

YAY!!!! So happy to see Orkin still working. Keep up the good work. I'll be testing it on my dorm computer, laptop and desktop when i get the chance :bouncy:

-Shadow-

Banned
Wow, that's the best image on Zelda Majora's Mask Ihave ever seen. However, when the bell rings in the morning and the display shrinks, there is a little glitch

That's not a glitch , i see you never played it on a real n64 , that effect is present there . Orkins plugin is the first one , which emulates this effect properly , gln64 + Jabo's are hiding it , and most of the other plugins turn the screen to black , it's like with the motion blur .

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
H3ad5h0tter said:
That's not a glitch , i see you never played it on a real n64 , that effect is present there . Orkins plugin is the first one , which emulates this effect properly , gln64 + Jabo's are hiding it , and most of the other plugins turn the screen to black , it's like with the motion blur .
1) Glide64 emulates this affect as well, so you're wrong there.
2) The image isn't really shrinked, but rather pushed off the screen if you noticed. The black border is only on the left side of the screen.

-Shadow-

Banned
1) Glide64 emulates this affect as well, so you're wrong there.

Point for you :p

2) The image isn't really shrinked, but rather pushed off the screen if you noticed. The black border is only on the left side of the screen.

Nope , the image doesn't get pushed away , the left and bottom side of the screen is filled with a glitch . ( i mean it doesn't look so :p)

Look at the very bottom and right side of that screenshot again.

Ok , but It sounds that he thinks the shrinking screen is a glitch , I see that artifact on the botton and right , too , THATS really one ;)

Last edited:

BFeely

Also, I can't open the configuration box. The screen goes wide then the plugin has the Error Creating D3D Texture error, the 1964 has the Exception in Emulation Thread error. What's wrong? Or is my PC a jalopy?

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
H3ad5h0tter said:
Nope , the image doesn't get pushed away , the left and bottom side of the screen is filled with a glitch . ( i mean it doesn't look so :p)
Oh yes, when I look upon the picture more closely, I see the image id duplicated at the bottom and the right side.... OH! Didn't see that. Meh. Well, glitch nevertheless.

stormyandcol

Helium Wish are coming...
Can anyone say South Park Rally?

hehe :) great work orkin, hope you do well in your finals and continue to keep up the excellent work and progress you're making

peace out

NetTitus

I see the monitor always black !!

Why ??
Why ??

I have a notebook Acer 1501 lmi with video-card Ati 9600 mobility !

Help me !!
Help me !!

Aloahh !!

BountyJedi

well mobilitys are hard to get drivers and you nede atis newest to run this so it might be hard try omega drivers or something i think i saw somewhere that they are also for mobilitys (although ati's default readeon drivers is not atlest on our mobility but tahts an older mobility ofcourse)

-Shadow-

Banned
Doomulation said:
:evil:
I smell double post...
http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?p=233433#post233433
And the post makes no sense... :huh:

Thats an enigmatic post , you see ? You must decipher the sense of this post by reading between the lines !

I think it doesn't work in his notebook , but it should work ( PS 2.0 ) . It's maybe this common error with this plugin , that most ATI users have . It could be fixed by installig the newest drivers . The error came back as soon as i upgraded to DX 9.0c , and has been fixed by refreshing my drivers .