Orkin has just released Direct64, a DirectX 9 plugin for N64 emulators:
For the past few months I've been working on a DirectX 9 plugin that uses the latest features of today's GPUs to get as close to the N64 as possible. That plugin is called Direct64 (orginal name, huh?).
I had planned on getting more much done on this before releasing, but it's been so long since I've released anything to the public that I'm going to go ahead and release it as an alpha version. As such, keep in mind that this is very much a WIP, so expect bugs, crashes, and various glitches.
Direct64 is based on the glN64 source code, but many changes have been made since I began working on it. Here's what's different in Direct64 v0.5 ALPHA from glN64 v0.4.1:
- Changed graphics API from OpenGL to DirectX 9
- Changed combiner to use pixel shaders (PS 2.0 recommended)
- Added software triangle clipping
- Added overscan simulation
- Added software depth buffer rendering (see Zelda coronas/lens flare)
- Added Zelda "four suns" bug hack
- Added OrkinSampling (FSAA doesn't work with the new framebuffer
- Added preliminary LOD factor support (see SM64 Bowser/Peach painting transition)
- Added HQ2X and HQ4X texture filters (thanks to Maxim Stepin)
- Improved S2DEX and S2DEX2 microcode support
- Improved blender emulation
- Improved noise emulation using pixel shaders
- Improved depth image support
- Improved color image support
- Improved depth bias for decals
- Fixed a bug related to switching microcodes using gSPLoadUCodeEx
The plugin requires DirectX 9, and at least PS 1.1 support (although PS 2.0 is recommended).
The future of glN64 is unclear. Although it will definately be continued in some form, whether or not I will integrate the two plugins into one, or keep them seperate, I haven't decided...
I hope you all enjoy the plugin. I expect to be able to put more work in to it in the future, as next week is finals week...
I fixed a couple bugs tonight and updated the ZIP, so re-download to get the following fixes:
- Fixed a bug in the blender that could cause fog to be enabled at the wrong time
- Fixed a bug that could cause missing textures if an advanced filter is selected
Good to see a release from Orkin again! Grab the file by clicking the link below.
Download Direct64 v0.5 ALPHA