What's new

Which one is the best NES Emu?

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hej people,

I was just wondering. I am still using RocknesX to play NES games on my PC. However, that emu is almost over a year old, I am asking myself whether, by now, there are any better alternatives to it. What aboot FCEUltra or JNES? Any of them discontinued like RockNESX?

PsyMan

Just Another Wacko ;)
FCE Ultra is probably the best choice. It is open source and it is updated quite frequently. Nestopia is also a good choice. :)

Last edited:

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
I like JNes. Jabo's done a excellent job, and the forum for it is here at emutalk.
- Modem

Clements

VirtuaNES and JNES are the better ones. Despise FCE Ultra's video modes. Nestopia would be good if it didn't hog so many CPU cycles.

xamenus

I've wondered this as well, but I'm favoring VirtuaNES. Nessie and Nintendulator are promising, and they are quite accurate. I'm sure Nessie will be my #1 choice soon (I already use it frequently now anyway.) :)

smegforbrain

I use JNes pretty exclusively, turning to VirtuaNES for games that JNes doesn't run (mostly Mapper 5).

Not a very good comparision, since it takes a bunch of emulators nobody's ever heard of (or if you have, you've got too many emulators :)), but misses obvious ones like JNes.

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hm... ok, from what I have heard, VirtuaNES seems to be the next best choice after RockNESX. Anyone still using that one? Why isnt it the best one anymore? It was the best one some years ago wasnt it?

Allnatural

Talas said:
Hm... ok, from what I have heard, VirtuaNES seems to be the next best choice after RockNESX. Anyone still using that one? Why isnt it the best one anymore? It was the best one some years ago wasnt it?
Fx3 still codes the DOS version, but he lost his Windows coder a while ago. Hence, RockNESX is way behind. I remember Fx3 saying he was working on his own Windows build, but that was long ago and I haven't checked up on the progress.

MasterPhW

Master of the Emulation Flame
Even this thread is old as hell and was dead for nearly as long as it existed, it's not bad that you dig it out, because my opinion is missing here, too. ;)
Sadly, there's not such a circle accurate approach in NES emulation like there's with SNES (bsnes) emulation, so I have to change between Nestopia (like Tonypantz already told: easy to use), JNES (was one of my first NES emulators, still use it for nostalgic reasons) and the FCEUltra mappers modified project (supports even the weirdest roms).
But I also have to admit, that I didn't tried a new NES emulator for years, so I never tried the newer ones like HalfNES, Nintendolator, Sega Li, nemulator or FCEUX (which is still a FCEU fork, so I can say, I tried it already :p)