What's new

Chip 8

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
You're right, it doesn't matter. But I don't like pdf. Everything in pdf can easily be done in html and do not need the bloated software of adobe's (imo).

bcrew1375

Doomulation said:
You're right, it doesn't matter. But I don't like pdf. Everything in pdf can easily be done in html and do not need the bloated software of adobe's (imo).

I agree. We should start a petition to get people to write documents in HTML. :p

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
Doomulation said:
Thanks for the offer but... I hate pdf and I'd appreciate if you did not distrubute it and removed the attachment. Pdf is evil! :devil: Html is better and has almost the same capabilities I say. But is there a need for an html document?

EDIT: Btw, I updated my document a little, so here's a new version of it. Contains fixes, it's cleaner and notes added.
Ok sir, will remove it immediatly. Sorry it took me so long to get back here :(

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
Doomulation said:
Actually... the point of PDF is completely different from HTML. PDF is universally used for page layout, and will look and print the same for everyone (usually), and is also read-only. HTML is for screen reading and allows different browser interpretation, different screen sizes down to PDA/cellphone, different stylesheets, depends on user's fonts, and is editable. Word and Pagemaker are closer to PDF, but not as standard and are not read-only.

For example, send an employer your electronic resume? It had better be PDF, or you risk looking like a fool when it doesn't display correctly. And academic papers are always PDF - need to be non-editable.

just for your purpose, it doesn't matter. I like HTML for simple things too, it's smaller than Word. ;)

Acorn

The problem with PDF is not so much the standard but the reader(s) (although the standard is old and outdated, and as pointed out has purposes that arn't needed for this document).

Acrobat should die :p

Doomulation

zAlbee said:
Actually... the point of PDF is completely different from HTML. PDF is universally used for page layout, and will look and print the same for everyone (usually), and is also read-only. HTML is for screen reading and allows different browser interpretation, different screen sizes down to PDA/cellphone, different stylesheets, depends on user's fonts, and is editable. Word and Pagemaker are closer to PDF, but not as standard and are not read-only.

For example, send an employer your electronic resume? It had better be PDF, or you risk looking like a fool when it doesn't display correctly. And academic papers are always PDF - need to be non-editable.

just for your purpose, it doesn't matter. I like HTML for simple things too, it's smaller than Word. ;)
Now then what's XHTML for? :p
Besides that, it can be done to make it print correctly. Well, at least if you design it using proper widths. Or using some special print preview like with IE.
Either way, acrobat reader is slow and bloated. Find a better program, and a new format that isn't so slow and bloated if you want it in another format.

Last edited:

zAlbee

Keeper of The Iron Tail
HTML is for screen reading, what is XHTML for?

Doomulation said:
Either way, acrobat reader is slow and bloated. Find a better program, and a new format that isn't so slow and bloated if you want it in another format.
This is true, the reader is awfully slow, that's why I use this -- Adobe Acrobat Speedup. It disables all the useless plugins and now it loads in about 1 second.

If that's not enough, you can try Ghostview which is tiny and opens instantaneously. It has a VERY minimal interface though :p.

Doomulation

zAlbee said:
HTML is for screen reading, what is XHTML for?
Remember that XHTML is supposed to be the HTML standard. Which means all browsers should interpret it exactly the same.
Ah, that link you posted, I will try it out.

refraction

PCSX2 Coder
i hate to be a stick in the mud, but can we remember this is a thread devoted to the wonders of chip8 emulation, not a document format debate :)

blueshogun96

A lowdown dirty shame
bcrew1375 said:
I don't like PDF mainly because it is SLOW.
you must be using 7.0, the s-l-o-w version

Other then using adobe 7.0, i don't really have any speed problems as long as my pfd isnt over10mb or somethin.

bobmcbob

Thanks for the links to the docs :)

I did try searching and couldnt find them, nm i got them now.

I just completed all the opcodes (apart from the graphics ones)
and am about to start the implementation of the graphics. Im slightly confused with the font stuff atm, but hopefully your docs will shed some light.

Thanks again

bcrew1375

blueshogun96 said:
you must be using 7.0, the s-l-o-w version

Other then using adobe 7.0, i don't really have any speed problems as long as my pfd isnt over10mb or somethin.

I'm using 5.0, needless to say, I haven't updated it in a long time :p.

Doomulation

bobmcbob said:
Thanks for the links to the docs :)

I did try searching and couldnt find them, nm i got them now.

I just completed all the opcodes (apart from the graphics ones)
and am about to start the implementation of the graphics. Im slightly confused with the font stuff atm, but hopefully your docs will shed some light.

Thanks again
As for the fonts; they are merely data stored in the interpreter memory which, when pointed to by I would print letters. They are bit encoded as all gfx. I listed all the fonts for both chip8 & schip8 in the doc, so you should be able to use them without hassle. If you want to get better looking fonts (or different), you could try to change them.

Well, I use foxit reader after som fine recommendations and I must say - it's so much faster than acrobat reader, even with all the plugins disabled.

smcd

Doomulation said:
Well, I use foxit reader after som fine recommendations and I must say - it's so much faster than acrobat reader, even with all the plugins disabled.

And add to it the fact that it has no INSTALL. I love simple applications that Just Work[tm]

Lordus

Sorry, i dont have anything to say about PDF... but i made a little Chip8 Emu.
So after GameBoy, GameGear and Chip8 i think i might try something more advanced now :whistling

I thought about doing something with OpenGL and Atari2600, but i heard its quite hard to emulate. Well, my final goal still is the Saturn, so it shouldnt be much harder than that...
But i am open to suggestions by all the pros here, about what would be a feasible next step :rolleyes:

jAcht_001.png
jAcht_002.png
jAchtSEoGL_03.jpg

Lordus

I think if 'complicated' would put me off, i shouldnt even start writing emulators. :p
NES though doesnt really interest me so much. I was thinking about Genesis or Atari2600. Well, ill look into it a bit more.