What's new

Chip 8

OP
sammyboy

sammyboy

Certified SuperHero
What are you on... I aint makin no chip 8 emu.

Now in English...

Excuse me please can you tell me what the devil are you talking about. I am not developing any chip 8 emulator at the moment.

aprentice

sammyboy said:
What are you on... I aint makin no chip 8 emu.

Now in English...

Excuse me please can you tell me what the devil are you talking about. I am not developing any chip 8 emulator at the moment.

opps, i confused you for someone who actually could code, sorry :p

ector

Emulator Developer
nice job, it's fun to see so many new emu authors take their first steps, i started with chip8 too :)

-//zAe\\-

ector said:
nice job, it's fun to see so many new emu authors take their first steps, i started with chip8 too :)
So? What next? What system can you advice me?
P.S. Thanks for being interested :) !

-//zAe\\-

Maybe...
I mean, what is the next simple system to emulate? What system should i emulate next?
I need an advice... :)

ector

Emulator Developer
My next one was a Gameboy emulator for my personal use on my slow MIPS based Cassiopeia PocketPC for my but I cheated a little by looking at the source of other gb emus :)
My next emulator project after that was a little dreamcast emulator that never really got anywhere, and then I wrote a graphics plugin for Icarus (i had lots of experience with 3D programming before). And then when all the Gamecube hacking started, it was a natural step to try to make a GC emulator together with F|RES who had done some initial research. He's a reverse-engineering wizard.

-//zAe\\-

Thanks, ector!
I will try to follow your experience! :)
P.S. I am a 3D programmer too :p
P.P.S. Can you advice me some usefull GameBoy docs?

Last edited:

ector

Emulator Developer
I don't remember where you can find Gameboy docs, it was a long time ago.. just use Google :)

Anyhow Gameboy isn't necessarily the "next" platform in complexity, there are a lot of 8-bit systems with similar complexity.. The SMS (Sega Master System) is said to be quite easy, and there's a lot of information about it out there too, and there are a lot of games out for it (probably not as many as gameboy, but still tons). Having lots of games to try in your emulator is important, since it will help you find bugs. I'd recommend that you should at least take a look at Master System :) NES is however a lot more complex because of all the "mappers". There is still no 100% perfect NES emulator!

aprentice

This thread is interesting, but we are going off topic :p
Someone should try something that hasnt been done before
with the chip8, like maybe "enhancing" it in some way. I've given my code
to bjz (who i know on irc) and he ported it to opengl with textured quads. Stuff like this would be interesting to try :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Well hmm, actually I *HAVE* thought about doing some misc hacks for the chip8 emulators...
I enhanced it by enlarging the gfx in a nice fullscreen. But there's always other features you could do for it... like manipulating the gfx, but I have no other ideas than that, though :p

aprentice

Heres some screen shots from my chip8 emu :p
90% of chip8 games run. More info as I progress.

Blitz:
blitz1.gif

blitz2.gif

Invaders:
invaders1.gif

Missle:
missle1.gif

UFO:
ufo1.gif

VBrix:
vbtrix1.gif

Wipeoff:
wipeoff1.gif

bjz

Nice pictures Aprentice :p

c83dpong.jpg

3dc8.jpg

As fas as I know I have the first 3d c8 emulator that allows camera controlling and all :D just started this port of ren's emu last night and got it 3d today.

Last edited:

aprentice

bjz said:
Nice pictures Aprentice :p

As fas as I know I have the first 3d c8 emulator that allows camera controlling and all :D just started this port of ren's emu last night and got it 3d today.

Nice job bjz :D