What's new

Mozilla or FireFox?

Talas

Son of the Sky
Hej everybody,

yesterday I downloaded the Firefox Webbrowser and I was astonished by its great features. However, today I asked a friend what webbrowser he is using and he said that Mozilla is far better. What do you guys think? FireFox or its mother Mozilla? What are each Browsers strengths and weaknesses? One thing is sure though, I guess I wont be returnin to IE.

(Btw, just now I see that the Smilies Window here in Emutalk has an error with Firefox. Does anyone know how to remove that. Oh and I see that I cant put any smilies into the text. When I click a smilie he just puts me on top of the window. Hm... Maybe Firefox aint that good after all.)

2fast4u

imo mozilla classic is not an option as its bloated, still reminds a lot of netscape navigator. firefox is a lot more slim and also got rid of a lot of annoying bugs in the past. with mozilla classic you get a bunch of built in extra shit like a mailer which i havent tried out because thunderbird is good enough for me.

rcgamer

the old guy
im using firefox . it has just what i need and nothing i dont. pages seem to load faster to. also you can dl any kind of extensions you need later so it can be as powerful or trimmed down as you like.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Firefox have all i need. The best replacement for IE. The problem is the sites that uses IE and Frontpage extensions, that are M$ property.
I'm used even 128bit https to buy CS:CZ and BF Vietnam in a brazilian retailer (www.submarino.com.br) without any problems
I'm using Thunderbird as email client. Bye, bye outlook viruses.......
If you want a simple and powerful browser, use Firefox.

EDIT:
(Btw, just now I see that the Smilies Window here in Emutalk has an error with Firefox. Does anyone know how to remove that. Oh and I see that I cant put any smilies into the text. When I click a smilie he just puts me on top of the window. Hm... Maybe Firefox aint that good after all.)
Smilies don't work on my IE6.0SP1 too...... i'm using IE6 now to write this edit..... :(

Last edited:
OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
Thx, so I will stick to FireFox. But still, the question remains, why dont the smilies work?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Talas said:
Thx, so I will stick to FireFox. But still, the question remains, why dont the smilies work?
the reason is because EmuTalk uses too many smilies in that side panel.

The HTML for the smilies is in a layer with a high (or no) z-index and is shown 'under' the table.

Martin can use the hack that I gave him for the beta version of Vb 3 (we're now out of the beta series), or he can limit the amount of smilies in that side panel.

khanmeister

Banned
Thunderbird does kick ass for mail. Standards compliance is even MORE important in the email world, if you ask me. But Firefox is the bomb though compared to IE, I could never go back.

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
Ah? So you would say that Thunderbird is better than Outlook Express (I am still using that one).

khanmeister

Banned
Hands down, plus let's avoid all the auto virii from outlook, yeah?

Config is *mildly* more confusing in thunderbird, but other than that, it's a full score better replacement.

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
Ok, just tried Thunderbird. I dont see any great difference to Outlook (except that it looks nicer and is free). There is one problem though. I have three different E-Mail Accounts, with Outlook I only start the prog and it checks all three of ´em. Thunderbird only checks my default account. Is there any possibility to have Thunderbird check all my accounts at one.

deesse

J'aime ce que tu es
well

i still use IE, i tried once FireFox, but :getlost: i think i prefer to stay with IE, don't ask me why :blink:

2fast4u

Talas said:
There is one problem though. I have three different E-Mail Accounts, with Outlook I only start the prog and it checks all three of ´em. Thunderbird only checks my default account. Is there any possibility to have Thunderbird check all my accounts at one.

go to Tools --> Account Settings --> [Account Name] --> Server Settings and check "Check for new messages at Startup"

OP
Talas

Talas

Son of the Sky
@2fast4u

Thx pally, now it works. Seems to me as if Outlook has finished its job on my comp.

However, one more question. Regularly Microsoft updates the IE and Outlook because they found a security risk. Is Firefox kept up to date too?

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Talas said:
@2fast4u

Thx pally, now it works. Seems to me as if Outlook has finished its job on my comp.

However, one more question. Regularly Microsoft updates the IE and Outlook because they found a security risk. Is Firefox kept up to date too?
1) FireFox isn't integrated into the OS so its security risks aren't as fatal
2) FireFox doesn't run ActiveX/other MS crap

So, most of the time, updates to FireFox will just be implementing more features.