What's new

Why no Arcade High Scores?

Evrain

The Forbidden One
I was quickly browsing the various forums of the board, when I noticed this (yeah, I'm kind of lazy :p), but I was surprised to see the board dead...
My question is: why there aren't hi-scores for arcade games? They offer a constant challenge, besides they were conceived to be played for points...
Evrain

Allnatural

Good question. With all the great shmups in the arcade there's great opportunity for high score comparisons.

OP
E

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Your avatar (Gunbird) betrays your tastes, Allnatural :) Which are your fav titles?
Anyway, it'd be great if this forum could host such topics, I wonder why no one has thought about this, or just didn't think this board was the right place.
Evrain

Allnatural

hehe

There are so many great shmups it's hard to choose. I probably play Psikyo's games most often, the Strikers series especially. DoDonPachi and Battle Bakraid are also favorites. :)

OP
E

Evrain

The Forbidden One
I am currently playing Strikers 1945 Plus (not bad for an half-remake), but guess Cave games are unbeatable... Mainly Guwange and ESP Ra.De., and I'm impatiently waiting to try the Progear No Arashi PCB.
Hope that someone else will read this thread aswell, and bring some life back to the board: I am sure it would be pretty interesting. Your records All?
Evrain

Allnatural

Evrain said:
...and I'm impatiently waiting to try the Progear No Arashi PCB.
You snagged one? I'm looking forward to that being added to MAME; looks cool.

Records? Heh, I'm not particularly good at shmups. I recall hitting over 9,000,000 in DoDonPachi once, and I have a high score of 1,487,000 in Blazing Star. I think I've done better in Star before; maybe I wiped my nvrams recently or something. Anyway, my best shmup session ever was probably Battle Bakraid, and I happen to have recorded it too. :D screeny below:

I was so close to 6 mil, but those constant boss fights on the last stage kicked my ass up and down. Still trying to beat that score. :)

Last edited:
OP
E

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Sorry pal, you'll have to wait for PnA on MAME: at the moment, the dumper (Xacrow) is keeping the ROMs for himself, and Razoola (the decrypter) says he hasn't the ROM, thus no decription tables (the worst lie I've heard in all my life, believe me). That's all I know about this.

About my records... well, they aren't a record I guess :) My personal is around 3.5mln on Blazing Star, 12mln on DoDonPachi and 3mln on Bakraid (damn medals!!).
The other players who cooperate with me in a MARP-like project for italian records are WAY better.
Evrain

OP
E

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Indeed... I've also assisted to the recording of the italian DDP record (included on MARP): ~94mln both loops + Hibachi, and I almost fell to my knees in disbelief. Do these players look directly at the source code rolling on-screen or their sight has slow mode included?
Evrain

P.S.: damn, I hoped more people would've joined the thread... :(

OP
E

Evrain

The Forbidden One
Wohooo, welcome to the discussion blizz :)
Back in the day... when? Fav titles please ;)
Evrain