Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post Nintendo DS specifications leaked

The Nintendo DS specs was leaked yesterday. Apperantly it will be a quite powerful device, at least faster then I had expected. The memory worries me a little bit though, only 4MB (even Ngage...but then again, ngage has a Symbian OS using a lot of that). Anyways, check out the specs here:

http://www.cube-europe.com/news.php?nid=6236

What are your thoughts?

I like that IEEE802.11 bit
    Staff member of Emulation64.com

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds cool. Even if the 120K poly's/sec is real-world performance rather than (as is more likely) a flat-shaded max, it should have 3d capabilities somewhere around 32X/Jaguar kind of level. Would have been nice to see PSX-level handheld, I guess we'll have to wait for the PSP for that. I've seen people posting that this will be as powerful as the N64: plainly it won't. If Nintendo themselves are putting 120K polys max then it's going to fall well short of the N64.

While I like the addition of wireless and touch-screen capabilities, I can't help thinking that such things are going to seem pretty unimportant compared to the competition's raw power, even with the price differential. I think Nintendo would be better off spending the cash on a decent 3d chipset.

Also there seems to be some debate as to whether X+Y buttons are going to be included. It's suicidally restrictive not to, surely?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Note that the screen resolution is pretty low, so you will get performance similar to (or even above) the n64 (omg omg omg, n64 emus 4 teh new gameboy ).
    - vleespet

Life isn't a ***** because it is, it is because you make a ***** of it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vleespet
    Note that the screen resolution is pretty low, so you will get performance similar to (or even above) the n64
    what the hell does the screen resolution have to do with the overall performance in your book?

compare: gba specs
    ...and on really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 2fast4u
    what the hell does the screen resolution have to do with the overall performance in your book?

compare: gba specs
    Lower resolution -> better performance. Just look at PC games..I think same applies to the DS. Oh, and Nintendo always give up specs based on somewhat real performance I think (textured, lit etc) and not theoretical-polygon-pushing (or flat shaded max as Alchy so nicely called it), so 120k isn't too shabby and I think we might see N64 like games at least. But I have not enough knowlegde to say something certain about it...

I just hope I can someday see a good SNES emu running on it...imagine the possiblities. Wireless SNES playing and touch screen based Game Gear (or whatever the gun is called) too mention some. Let's just hope they do include X and Y buttons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gorxon
    Lower resolution -> better performance. Just look at PC games..I think same applies to the DS.
    possibly so. however judging by the screen resolution if there could be n64-ish games running on it seems like a longshot. either that or i completely misunderstood vl's post.
    ...and on really romantic evenings of self, I go salsa dancing with my confusion...

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    The lower resolution won't make that much difference. Also, I haven't read anything about what 3d hardware it's got, which is absolutely vital - the GBA is close to the PSX in Mhz, but the two have completely different 3d performance.

Also, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a SNES emu. There's not enough power, and probably little chance for HLE (the graphics chipset will be completely different). Certainly no N64 emulators...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds cool to me... but the fact that this isn't going to replace gameboy advance makes me think that this will be passed up by the consumer market. I don't know what Nintendo is thinking creating Two lines of handhelds at the same time. Perhaps the DS will be compatible with software for the new gameboy?
    The penguin rules cyberspace

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alchy
    Also, I wouldn't get your hopes up for a SNES emu. There's not enough power, and probably little chance for HLE (the graphics chipset will be completely different). Certainly no N64 emulators...
    Not to be rude, but I must say you are very wrong

There is a SNES emulator for the GBA already (SNESAdvance), which can run games, without sound, at about 60-70%. This cpu is at least three times as fast, then use both (one to emulate the SPC chip). You need however good coders, but Loopy (the man behind PocketNES and SNesAdvance) I am sure could pull it off...he writes all of his code (or almost) in ASM afaik

N64 emus on the other hand arent possible..

SNESAdvance homepage: http://www.snesadvance.org
    Last edited by Gorxon; March 13th, 2004 at 21:11.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    News flash, the specs are fake.
    -Tagrineth, flying above at the speed of an African swallow, because European swallows are wimps!

'What happen ?' 'Somebody set up us the bomb.' 'We get signal.' 'What !' 'Main screen turn on.' 'Its you !!' 'How are you Gentlemen?' 'All your base are belong to us.' 'You are on the way to destruction.' 'What you say !!' 'You have no chance to survive make your time.' 'Ha ha ha ha ....' 'Captain !!' 'Take off every 'ZIG' !!' 'You know what you doing.' 'Move 'ZIG'.' 'For great justice.'

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast