What's new

Give your opinion about the new "The legend of Zelda: Four swords plus" for Gamecube.

OP
J

Juan Carlos

Malcolm said:
Graphics help a game,
Gameplay can break a game,
Capture your audiance your game will be successful.
Having good graphics doesn't make a good game, tho it does help it.

You're right. That what the videogames business is all about: capture as much audience as posible.

OP
J

Juan Carlos

Slougi said:
I actually tried wind waker again the other day on my friend's cube and liked it so much i went out and bought a gamecube :p

Yeah, "The legend of Zelda: Wind Waker", is a very good game. I just didn't like the new way characters look like. It was my first gamecube game too.

Gent

The Soul Reaving Gentleman
Administrator
Juan Carlos said:
Yeah, "The legend of Zelda: Wind Waker", is a very good game. I just didn't like the new way characters look like. It was my first gamecube game too.

Personally I found and still find Wind Wanker (You Read Right) to be just that sorry :)

I loved OOT & MM, I wasn't a big Zelda Nes/Snes or even the latest GBA Carp fan the games just did not sit well with me.

For me Graphics Count if that's shallow then fek ya :p i pay my money i want the goods :)

I never liked the Looks of WW when i saw it but my wife wanted to play the carp and after she said the game was {}:{ now for her to say that leaves me thinking that you who bought it and rave about it is a cover for the shame that you actually bought it and was stuck with crap :D

I rented my copy At Blockbusters and when i took it back, I threw it at them, gave them a dirty look for letting me rent it, and then got the fek out of there before someone noticed i was holding the box lmao

Games are user Prefs either they like it or they don't its their call.
But to try to say someone should like a piece of crap cause they do is well to me is just wrong.

One mans Gold is another mans Rubbish.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Ahhh ya know, zelda ww is just like any new game. Impressive gfx. Gameplay sucks. It's still fun to play a little once in a while, but compared to old zeldas like link the the past, it's totally gone.
Snes & retro is, and always WILL be better than the next-gen system by the looks of it now.

For that "new" zelda game...it looks like a link to the past remake with the FF:CC idea of everyone having to buy a GBA SP to play. Shucks.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
Doomulation said:
Ahhh ya know, zelda ww is just like any new game. Impressive gfx. Gameplay sucks. It's still fun to play a little once in a while, but compared to old zeldas like link the the past, it's totally gone.
Snes & retro is, and always WILL be better than the next-gen system by the looks of it now.

Amen.

Talas

Son of the Sky
Well I am pretty sure that ppl on this forum, if it still exists then, will say that WW is a very good Retrogame and the new LoZ: 300 sucks. But ok I guess its just my opinion on "Back in the ol´ days everything was better".

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
Doomulation said:

For that "new" zelda game...it looks like a link to the past remake with the FF:CC idea of everyone having to buy a GBA SP to play. Shucks.

Wind Waker's gameplay sucked? This is news to me. The engine is nearly identical to OoT's except for some minor tweaks and the addition of those timed dodges. WW's graphical style was perfect for the game and I can't wait for the sequel to hit this fall. Don't get me wrong, I was royally pissed when I saw they dropped the Spaceworld 2k graphics but I'm sure we'll see them again whether it's next year or next decade. I am a huge retro gamer, hell, my SNES gets used more than all my next gen consoles combined. The SNES was the golden age of gaming, look at all the awesome games for it, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, the list goes on and on. It's a shame that, on the whole, gaming today isn't nearly as good as it was back then but there are some stellar titles here and there between the junk, look at Ikaruga! The new Four Swords for the GCN looks cool except for the fact that to thoroughly enjoy the game you need:

1 GCN-99 bucks
Four Swords-50 bucks
4 GBA(SP)-240 or 400 bucks
4 GCN-GBA link cables-40 bucks

Yeah, way to go Nintendo, I don't know that many people who have that much hardware hanging around and it looks like this game is focusing on multiplayer just like FF:CC did which, unfortunately, I won't be able to enjoy. Oh well, classic gaming is still the greatest. *goes off to play SNES*

Doomulation

Well, see, I didn't like OoT all that much either. It had lots of flaws, although the story was a good one. Yet, a little short imo.

linemu

Doomulation said:
Well, see, I didn't like OoT all that much either. It had lots of flaws, although the story was a good one. Yet, a little short imo.

You didn't like OoT?! Is that possible?

linemu

GogoTheMimic said:
Wind Waker's gameplay sucked? This is news to me. The engine is nearly identical to OoT's except for some minor tweaks and the addition of those timed dodges. WW's graphical style was perfect for the game and I can't wait for the sequel to hit this fall. Don't get me wrong, I was royally pissed when I saw they dropped the Spaceworld 2k graphics but I'm sure we'll see them again whether it's next year or next decade. I am a huge retro gamer, hell, my SNES gets used more than all my next gen consoles combined. The SNES was the golden age of gaming, look at all the awesome games for it, FFVI, Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, Super Metroid, the list goes on and on. It's a shame that, on the whole, gaming today isn't nearly as good as it was back then but there are some stellar titles here and there between the junk, look at Ikaruga! The new Four Swords for the GCN looks cool except for the fact that to thoroughly enjoy the game you need:

1 GCN-99 bucks
Four Swords-50 bucks
4 GBA(SP)-240 or 400 bucks
4 GCN-GBA link cables-40 bucks

Yeah, way to go Nintendo, I don't know that many people who have that much hardware hanging around and it looks like this game is focusing on multiplayer just like FF:CC did which, unfortunately, I won't be able to enjoy. Oh well, classic gaming is still the greatest. *goes off to play SNES*

Well LOTS of people have a GBA'S.... Anyone who would be interested in this would have a GCN. I guess not everyone has a link cable, but I would say that many people have this kind of hardware lying around. The idea isn't to buy 4 GBA's to play the game, but to get your friends to bring thier GBA's over to play.

Hexidecimal

Emutalk Bounty Hunter.
linemu said:

Oh no, it's possible, I hate OoT. I hate it so hard, I've TRIED to play it about a dozen times, I just can't manage to care.

Slougi

linemu said:

It definitely is. I always get bored some time after getting epona. Never actually finished it. Same for MM. WW reminded me a lot of ALttP though, which I guess is why I liked it. It had that certain Zelda feel to it that OoT and MM just never quite got right. Only downside is it's not the original Link ;) But I really like how it is set in the future.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
The only zelda I think I... disliked more than the others (still liked though) was Zelda II: The Adventures of Link. The best one in the series IMO is Zelda III. They've just got a little too repetative in the last 3 zelda games. With only a few additions to each game, it makes the games harder to enjoy, but are still enjoyable. Just imo. :)

Doomulation

Best zelda game? Definetly Zelda2: link's adventure for nes. It was like OoT, but much harder and refined controls. Plus, you could shoot from your sword.
I did start a conversation long ago about oot overrated.
But as stated...OoT was a big disappointment. As was WW. Oh and btw, it was even worse than OoT.

lemurcatta

I signed up just to reply to this.

Firstly, who cares if his english skills are bad. You can clearly understand the points he is trying to get across to you, and if you can't see that then (gasp) YOU are ignorant, and perhaps an idiot.

Secondly, a yankee can be used to describe anyone from the US. More specifically it can be used for people from northern US (not southern), and even more specifically for New Englanders. I'd say our foreign friend guessed pretty good when he addressed you as a yankee.

Thirdly, you proved his point for him when you stated that when the original zelda came out the graphics were cutting edge. That is exactly what he was saying.

Fourthly, a game can have the best graphics in the world and still suck.

Moose Jr.

Raging Moose
Slougi said:
Fourthly, a game can have the best graphics in the world and still suck.

That's a true, if obvious statement, but I don't think that it's nearly as common these days as it used to be. Of all the newer games I've played, I've generally found that the games I enjoyed the most also had the best graphics, and with the exception of LucasArts adventure games (God bless King George for hiring Tim Schafer), the contrapositive of that statement has generally held true as well. In fact, I'd would be willing to go so far as to suggest the possibility of a positive linear relationship between graphics and enjoyability (but only if you exclude kiddie-crap games and LucasArts adventure games altogether). My reasoning? A company that invests hundreds of thousands in a killer graphics engine is more apt to give it good gameplay mechanics (or at least a storyline) in order to sell it to the critics and gamers, many who, having grown up with games, can spot a stinker a mile away no matter what kind of sheen it sports. Although it may work for Hollywood, for developers it's just not good business to make something pretty but without substance, especially since games other than adaptions or sequels aren't released with a fanbase that movie actors or directors bring to each of their projects.

Slougi said:
I always get bored some time after getting epona. Never actually finished it.

Heh. Same here. Maybe it's because after crossing Hy-friggin-rule Field so many darn times on foot, it's almost a letdown that Epona doesn't sport rocket boosters when you finally get her. :p

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

jdsony

You all made some really good points for and against the different Zelda games (funny how this turned into a graphics conversation). I totally agree graphics can't make a game good without the gameplay backing it up. I remember reading an article on Gamespy about the most overrated games of all time and it was an interesting read. Going back and playing older games that had excellent graphics at the time makes it even easier to see right through the game and find it lacking in substance.

Although graphics don't make a game they can definetely help in some cases. Great graphics (maybe not so much graphics but technology in general) can make a great idea into an even more amazing game than previously possible. The problem is when game designers base their games off of a bunch of concept art and then think up the rest of the elements afterwards. Painkiller for PC is an example I can think of at the moment. The game has great graphics but the gameplay (while it worked in the past) is old and tired (for me at least). Basically you go into an area and keep killing enemies that respawn until you have killed a hundred or so and then you go to the next room and do the same thing. Some people may still have fun with this style of game but I got bored of it just playing the 3 level demo. Games like Grand Theft Auto (love it or hate it) have really made great use out of today's technology offering worlds not possible before advanced 3D engines. I loved Grand Theft Auto 1 but it was amazing how many people at the time shunned it because of it's oldschool 2D overhead view, a lot of people didn't give it a chance for that reason alone.

As for Zelda, I like everything Zelda. I haven't played Zelda WW, but I'm positive I would really like it even though it gets shunned for it's graphics constantly. My favorite Zelda is Zelda 2 which many would think is crazy but it has the most nostalgia factor for me since I played it most when I was young. Zelda 2 while so much different from other Zelda's offered a lot of great features. I loved the RPG leveling up element, that was excellent. I loved the huge map with numerous towns, not just one. The music was great (probably mostly just nostalgic for me). Zelda 3 is also an excellent game, it has so much depth and the dark World/Light World just made it seem so much bigger. OOT was a great game even though it lacks compared to the older games, I felt being in 3D I was more constrained than when it was 2D. Being 3D I thought there should have been a full time jump button not just an action button even though it departs from the original control. The swords/items also seemed lacking although staying with the previous games I felt like there should have been more with the move to 3D. The world also felt too small/broken up, it felt like each area was segregated from the last, there wasn't much going on and no link between the Castle, the Forest, The Ranch etc. Most people don't want any big changes to franchises but you really can only play the same game with a different story so many times.

Ouch that's a long read, pretty slow day at work.