What's new

ePSXe

Kaoss626

Recently I started trying to get PSX to run on my machine.

Currently using ePSXe

2 questions-

1) Is there a better emu than this one, and which one do you recommend?

2) What are some good PSX emu forums that I can use to help me make the most of PSX emulation.

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
ePSXe is the emu I've had the most luck with, and it's likely the most compatable. There are others, and the forums you can also find out about the others is http://www.ngemu.com/forums/index.php Just don't ask for any sort of illegal help there (iso's, ect.), or you'll have a quick ticket to bannsville. :)

Stezo2k

S-2K
Kaoss626 said:
Recently I started trying to get PSX to run on my machine.

Currently using ePSXe

2 questions-

2) What are some good PSX emu forums that I can use to help me make the most of PSX emulation.

1.) you won't find any better emus than this, VGS was pretty compatible, but this looks much nicer and is just as/more compatible :)

2.) www.ngemu.com

OP
Kaoss626

Kaoss626

heh... by the time I first posted I got it working (roughly, but working)....

so I guess that I might have taken care of my own bios needs....

and no worries about rom/iso requests... I read their rules too....besides... better than N64emu where you need a rom dump, PSX can run on an actuall PSX disk which can be had leagaly for $10 a game. WOW isn't that neat.

dukenukem

lord freiza
And don't forget you can play the psx games from your hdd in iso format,tends to help with some slow systems.

revl8er

That Damn Good

1) Really there isn't any better emulator than epsxe in compatability, but if you have any problems with games you might wanna try emurayden or psxeven.

2) You can look on ngemu.com or aldostools.com for psx help.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Mystic Gohan said:
but if you have any problems with games you might wanna try emurayden

Emurayden is an illegal Hack of the commercial emulator VGS. You won't get any support with it from the ngemu forums because of this.

revl8er

That Damn Good
You can get help from their official site I believe. The reason I said to try it out is because it's compatible on win2k and xp.

OP
Kaoss626

Kaoss626

(notices two people just down the road from me in the pacific NW)

Yea, I'm liking Pete's GPU plugins they seem to work really darn good on my GF3TI200
SPU I was using the PEOPs (next generation of Pete's) but I found the Eternal one sounded cleaner
CDROM I'm using the internal one for NT/2000 seems to work just fine playing off the CD-ROM drive with little or no hitches.
PAD I'm using the internal (all pad drivers seem to suck equaly), at least this one is stable an could support rumble if I could figgure out how to work the rumble.

my biggest problem was _major_ slowdowns not drops in FPS but just plain the whole thing would grind to a screeching halt periodicly and esspecially when in FFVIII you cut from a town to the world to from the menu to a world. Upgrading from the 1001 bios to the 7502 seems to have cured these slowdowns.

LMAO.... kahnmeister... "son"?.... I was in Junior High when you popped out...(asuming that the date in your profile is correct)

(what the heck happened to my system specs, they used to be down at the bottom here) :ranting:

Last edited:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
FF series uses so much framebuffer resources, you can try to decrease the framebuffer config .........
I had no problems at all with PeteOGL2 and my geforcefx5600......

and ePSXe is the best PSX emu..........
i play ALL games with epsxe 1.60....... only sometimes you need to tweak Pete's plugins to get better results......

Cyberman

I suggest if you are going to run some games try PCSX instead.
Namely games like
BloodOmen Legacy of Kain and Diablo DO NOT work under ePSXe well if at all.

PCSX is a bit more compatible, for example Kudelka was playable in PCSX 1.4 and only recently in 1.6 ePSXe (timing issues are less). ePSXe is still being developed however so I'm sure they will fix a few more issues. I haven't heard from Jivera so I'm wondering if he's abandoned PCSX as well :p

Cyb

revl8er

That Damn Good
I have found that the two most compatible plugins for nvidia cards are peops plugins and pete's opengl plugin. I have been able to play just about any game with those two plugins. If you have a high quality gfx card then you should try petes opengl2 plugin because it gives you better quality gfx.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Nighty0 said:
FF series uses so much framebuffer resources

FF7 had very little framebuffer effects. The before battle swirls and a few other things. Not much else.

FF8 didn't use much either. The before battle effects were not FB effects at all. And only a few magics and the last summon used FB effects.

FF9 use a lot of FB effects. Almost every magic and summon had FB effects. And the batte swirls too.

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
Mystic Gohan said:
If you have a high quality gfx card then you should try petes opengl2 plugin because it gives you better quality gfx.

That's subjective. Some find that Petes OGL1/D3d plugin has better quality graphics because FSAA can be used which is lacking in petes newer OGL2 plugin. And petes OGL/d3d plugin had options for full hardware FB effects. The FB effects in petes OGL2 plugin uses a mix of hardware/software. Ati cards benefit the most from this as their FB access speeds are 2x slower than their Nvidia counterparts.