What's new

What's your favourite 16 bit-generation console?

What's your favourite 16-bit generation console?

• Genesis / Mega Drive

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Super Nintedo / Super Famicom

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • Neogeo

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters

Clements

I knew that the Mega Drive had a faster CPU, but I also knew that the Snes had much more advanced graphics and sound, and some Snes games even used co-processors that featured faster processors than the Mega Drive's main CPU (like the SA-1 @ 10MHz).

Even the Master System's CPU was faster than the Snes CPU, but it's clear that the system released 6 years before the Snes is much less powerful. Seems that the Snes didn't need to have a fast processor like the Mega Drive's.

OP
J

Juan Carlos

Clements said:
I knew that the Mega Drive had a faster CPU, but I also knew that the Snes had much more advanced graphics and sound, and some Snes games even used co-processors that featured faster processors than the Mega Drive's main CPU (like the SA-1 @ 10MHz).Even the Master System's CPU was faster than the Snes CPU, but it's clear that the system released 6 years before the Snes is much less powerful. Seems that the Snes didn't need to have a fast processor like the Mega Drive's.

In this thread we're not talking about Super Nintendo or Genesis internal specs; were talking about their GAMES! Or at least that was my intention. Please ignore for a while both console internal specification and think what games do you like the most from the ones released to both videogame systems.

Last edited:

Clements

You said that the Mega Drive could display better graphics than a Snes, and I disagreed. That's why I mentioned the specs. I enjoyed the Snes more because the games were more fun rather than it having better graphics. When the Snes was released, I was 7 years old, and had no knowledge of the tech-specs of the consoles, but prefered Snes games. It's hard to like the Neo-Geo since it died just after it was released.

OP
J

Juan Carlos

Look... this discussion is getting to no point. Say what ever you want. If that will make you happier, go on.

blizz

I prefered Sonic on the Mega Drive over Super Mario since the Mario games reached their peak with Mario 3 on the NES imo

Trotterwatch

Both machines had great games. I personally had a Mega Drive, though I borrowed my friends Snes often (mainly to play Mario World and Streetfighter 2).

The Mega Drive was certainly no slouch though, Gunstar Heroes is proof of that :)

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Megadrive is really faster than SNES, but SNES have better graphics.......
Take Desert Strike for example. The Genesis version is better because this games needs more speed power.
Another example. Top Gear 2. Play the Genesis version vs. SNES version (Try in Gens vs ZSnes) you will see a big difference that makes the SNES version better.....
I not played much the Genesis, but SNES have the best games for me......
Donkey Kong Series
Square Games (includes Super Mario RPG)
Mario Kart
Top Gear Series
F-Zero
Star Fox
Kirby Super Star
Bomberman Series (4 & 5 specially)
International Super Star Soccer Deluxe
many many others

For Genesis the best games FOR ME:
Sonic Series (with or without Knuckles cart)
Afterburner Series(specially the SegaCD version)
Streets of Rage
Golden Axe
Road Rash Series
not much more........

My vote: SNES......... i had 3 snes in the past..... :p

Last edited:
OP
J

Juan Carlos

It's getting obvious that most of you peole like good-old Super Nintendo instead of the Mega Drive. But... how about Neogeo? Yeah, it was expensive, but I'm sure some of you guys must have played its game in an arcade system long time ago. The console wasn't so bad... Keep its price in the past out of your mind, and think that this videogame console had awesome games like "Metal Slug" or "The king of fighters". They were pretty good games.

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
Juan Carlos said:
In this thread we're not talking about Super Nintendo or Genesis internal specs; were talking about their GAMES! Or at least that was my intention. Please ignore for a while both console internal specification and think what games do you like the most from the ones released to both videogame systems.

You know, some people have been doing this for quite a lot longer than you have. I'm not so sure you should be the one calling the shots and firing off the advice here.

It's getting obvious that most of you peole like good-old Super Nintendo instead of the Mega Drive. But... how about Neogeo? Yeah, it was expensive, but I'm sure some of you guys must have played its game in an arcade system long time ago. The console wasn't so bad... Keep its price in the past out of your mind, and think that this videogame console had awesome games like "Metal Slug" or "The king of fighters". They were pretty good games.

King of Fighters is boring, and I have Metal Slug for my Saturn, it's okay but IMO Contra 3 on the SNES is better. Not graphically, but gameplay wise.

Neo-Geo's entire draw was its superiour graphics and capability to hold an absolutely ludicrous amount of 2D animations. The only reason it has any good games at all is because it was, for a long time, the standard for Arcade hardware... plus it was backed by SNK, certainly a very competent company.

Anyway, on-topic, IMO SNES is not only the best 16-bit console, it's also possibly the best console of all time, just ahead of PS1.

rcgamer

the old guy
I vote for the genesis.Ever since i bought the master system ( when i was like 12) I have been a sega fan. Maybe its only because I viewed them as the underdog.

GogoTheMimic

Pimpin' Red Mage
SNES by a longshot. I can't really give a fair impression because I hardly played the others. :/ SNES had tons of great RPGs and that's what clinched it for me. :D

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
Tagrineth said:
King of Fighters is boring
Interesting thought there. Care to elaborate on that, and would you also mind telling us which KOF's have you played?

blizz

ok, before you kiddies start bitching about NeoGeo games, Garou was the highpoint and it's been down hill ever since.

end of argument.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
blizz said:
ok, before you kiddies start bitching about NeoGeo games, Garou was the highpoint and it's been down hill ever since.

end of argument.

Garou was a highpoint from a technical point of view, the gameplay on the other hand can definitely be debated.

Flash

Technomage
Tagrineth said:
I have Metal Slug for my Saturn, it's okay but IMO Contra 3 on the SNES is better. Not graphically, but gameplay wise.
Contra 3 better than Metal Slug ? I don't think so... Contra Hard Corps can be in
some points better than MS1 but not Contra 3.

Flash

Technomage
blizz said:

end of argument.

Garou - excellent gfx/sfx but nothing so special in gameplay. Just a good fighting game...
KOF2k1 has really ugly music, backgrounds, char art but great gameplay.
And KOF2k3 is very good, not the best but waaaaay better than 2k2.
Metal Slug 5 - good gameplay and awesome music. MS3 is the best Metal Slug game.

Flash

Technomage
Juan Carlos said:
The console wasn't so bad...
Wasn't so bad. Neo-Geo is most powerful 16-bit console... It

Keep its price in the past out of your mind, and think that this videogame console had awesome games like "Metal Slug" or "The king of fighters". They were pretty good games.[/QUOTE]
And how about Last Blade 1,2 and Samurai Shodown series ?

Tagrineth

Dragony thingy
DuDe said:
Interesting thought there. Care to elaborate on that, and would you also mind telling us which KOF's have you played?

I have KOF '96 for Saturn, and '97 for PS1... it's just so slow paced and dull.

Then again, I never cared for 1v1 Fighters until I played SoulBlade ( / SoulCalibur / SoulCalibur II)... incidentally, those bore me to tears now...

I guess everything else just feels sluggish and drab compared to Guilty Gear X2 now, heh.