What's new

Pixel Shader 2.0

Reznor007

PCI Express is more than just AGP 16x. I can handle bidirectional transfers, while AGP can either send or receive data.

Here's what the lead programmer of Splinter Cell thinks about PCI Express

In my opinion, PCI-E will have a major impact on how games are designed because you should be able to finally read from the graphic chip memory without breaking the streaming of the transactions between the core logic and the GPU. PCI-E is a point to point bus meaning that it works just like HyperTransport (dedicated upstream/downstream). On AGP, when you switch between read and write, you have to turn around and that takes time.

This should allow a new range of algorithms to be possible (like on consoles). You could use the GPU to calculate very quickly zone of dangers when the player is throwing a grenade (physic blast shadowing). The information could then by passed to your AI and Physics engine to help the AI makes a good decision on how to react to this event and to find out which objects should be impacted (where and how) by the blast. This kind of shadowing algorithm may or may not be efficient (compared to distributed ray casting) but it gives some ideas.

So overall, PCI-E won't have direct impact on rendering but it will have a big impact on engine design (only programmers will notice but games are going to get better more quickly).

All of this can be done on the CPU but people are going to start looking at the GPU to do other things than just graphics. All of this because of PCI-E.

And a Radeon card will do better than a GeforceFX in Dolphin, because nvidia's drivers have been proven to be cheating and lowering precision in pixel shader 2.0 programs. Radeon can ONLY do 24bit per channel, but GeforceFX will usually do 16bit per channel or even down to 12bit in some cases.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
But the fact remains still, that a gamecube plus zelda ww beats all.
Don't go new hardware to play zelda ww on computer; you'll never get prefect result and you'll spend way more money than you'd do on buying those two.
See the truth; it's a fact.

Alchy

Kiantsu said:
I don't wanna play full WW, I KNOW THAT IS UNPLAYABLE, only that if ATI RADEON 9600 is better, I would buy it
Yes, a 9600 is far better than a Geforce 4 mx.

Reznor007

Doomulation said:
But the fact remains still, that a gamecube plus zelda ww beats all.
Don't go new hardware to play zelda ww on computer; you'll never get prefect result and you'll spend way more money than you'd do on buying those two.
See the truth; it's a fact.

Yes, this is of course, the proper way to do it, since that way you would legally own the game and could use your own disc image.

OP
K

Kiantsu

the matter is that my parents don't let me buy gamecube, they say "what for do you want more consoles, what for if you got N64 and GBA! no one more"

[EDIT] IN summer I'll buy all this, and I'm going to change 1.8Ghz micro to 3.0 GHz

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Reznor007 said:
PCI Express is more than just AGP 16x. I can handle bidirectional transfers, while AGP can either send or receive data.

Here's what the lead programmer of Splinter Cell thinks about PCI Express

And a Radeon card will do better than a GeforceFX in Dolphin, because nvidia's drivers have been proven to be cheating and lowering precision in pixel shader 2.0 programs. Radeon can ONLY do 24bit per channel, but GeforceFX will usually do 16bit per channel or even down to 12bit in some cases.

YEP, PCIX is LITTLE better than AGP.......... :p :p :p :p

I'm not impress with marketings...... when i buy a new card (maybe 2006) i see....... when a pcix card cost 150EUR i see........
I not switch my computer parts unless 3 years old, and i am a extreme gamer, and i play ALL games during these 3 years.... for example my older card is a GF2MX400, i switched in June 2003 to a "new" GFFX5600.... and i played ALL 2000-2003 games (including splinter cell) with my GF2MX400 (and win some CS championships too)......

New technologies are good, but not a "must buy when release".....
IF you have all money of the world, BUY, don't bother me because that.....

Sincerely,
NightyZero

Last edited:

Reznor007

I got a Radeon 9600 for $75 US. Not exactly breaking the bank to get new technology.

And PCI Express isn't going to be expensive at all. The next gen ATI will support it natively, and the next gen nVidia cards will support it using a bridge chip. There will be cards ranging from $75 all the way up to $500 US.

It is also much better than AGP, not just a little. With PCI-E you could read the framebuffer back, do emulated operations with it, and use it as a texture to improve N64 framebuffer emulation. AGP is way to slow for this to work.

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
Kiantsu said:
the matter is that my parents don't let me buy gamecube, they say "what for do you want more consoles, what for if you got N64 and GBA! no one more"

[EDIT] IN summer I'll buy all this, and I'm going to change 1.8Ghz micro to 3.0 GHz
Tell them to **** off (had to say that ;))
Do they want you to buy hardware upgrade for $5000 instead?
C'mon, it's your money. Don't let them boss over you! Sheesh. Some people's parents are just plain stupid. :ranting:

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
Reznor007 said:
I got a Radeon 9600 for $75 US. Not exactly breaking the bank to get new technology.

And PCI Express isn't going to be expensive at all. The next gen ATI will support it natively, and the next gen nVidia cards will support it using a bridge chip. There will be cards ranging from $75 all the way up to $500 US.

It is also much better than AGP, not just a little. With PCI-E you could read the framebuffer back, do emulated operations with it, and use it as a texture to improve N64 framebuffer emulation. AGP is way to slow for this to work.

Yep, I stay with my words......
You stealead this card? The most cheap 9600PRO card i found costs $124
http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_...7780/search=radeon%209600/ut=c866502f3d24889e
NONPRO for $96, http://www.pricegrabber.com/search_...7780/search=radeon%209600/ut=c866502f3d24889e
You found on ebay? if you find and that people can send here, where I live, say to me, my friend will buy one now.....

I tried to don't talk about these problems here, but for you $100,00 is easy... for me not.... i not live with my parents, i need to pay all my debits (water, telephone, electricity, adsl, food, books, studies) and i not live in the US...... if you can get a card per year, i'm happy for you. BUT don't say easy for all........

For last example here in brazil a radeon 9600SE legally buyed costs $250 and $170 ilegally (yep, 2x~5x more then in US).....
I buyed my card for $220 (ilegally) last year, now costs $160 ilegally......a FX5600nonultra....... i the king here, where most people have FX5200 or MX440, the best lanhouses here have GF4Ti4200 or FX5200......
The last Intel's championship (in my city, last November) award was a Athlon2000+ with GF4MX440 (my father have a better computer).... an Intel's championship, incredible......

I stop for now this nonend discussion, i never open this thread again, i tired of this......
OK....

Reznor007

It was a perfectly legal purchase in retail package brand new from Best Buy. They had a sale the day after thanksgiving.

And I fully understand being short on money. I have to pay over $500 a month for my car and insurance, and that's not including gas or maintenence. I also have to pay for food for myself and my girlfriend since she lives with me.

But aside from all of that. Recommending a GeforceFX over a Radeon 9x00 isn't the best idea considering Radeon is usually a large percentage faster in Pixel Shader things, which happens to concern Dolphin.

OP
K

Kiantsu

I know I shouldn't post in such an old thread, but God... This is embarrasing. I was almost fourteen back then, but still, download pixel shaders? Hey, old-me, GTFO from the internet. Oh, and lrn2english.