What's new

Gentoo

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Screw genkernel. I have never used it myself, but from what I hear, it's not any good. I would just configure it manually instead, its pretty easy actually.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
to configure your kernel you just need to take an inventory of your hardware (or what you want to work), find the modules that will work with your hardware and then just compile the thing.

Compiling a kernel is easy, as is everything with Linux, you just need to spend the time reading the documentation before you expect anything to work.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Malcolm said:
to configure your kernel you just need to take an inventory of your hardware (or what you want to work), find the modules that will work with your hardware and then just compile the thing.

Compiling a kernel is easy, as is everything with Linux, you just need to spend the time reading the documentation before you expect anything to work.

OK I'll try that.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Oh and btw is there anything else (like genkernel) that I should know about following this guide?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Eagle said:
Oh and btw is there anything else (like genkernel) that I should know about following this guide?

I think I just discovered my problem. Ive been using an older guide to install this. I didnt even notice the "Gentoo Handbook Project" link. This is much more detailed than the older one.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
Like i said in my post eagle, don't use genkernel or your pc will fail booting, with my zero knowledge of gentoo 2 days ago i learned how to use manual kernel config in a few min.

when you do a manual kernel config be sure to set:
(http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=7)
Files systems (You will find this in the manual, all of these options should be inbuild, not module)
ReiserFS (if you use it), etx2, ext3, virtual mem file system support
/rpoc file system support, /dev file system support, auto mount on boot, /dev/pts (if you use kernel 2.6 otherwise turn it off)

turn devfs on(if you use 2.6) => item = "/dev filesystme (OBSELETE)" if you don't turn it on you will get errors during boot.

and don't forget to add your network card (i prefered inbuild but if you compile as module, you need to add it to autoload)

desktop guide (installing nvidia drivers etc)
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml

a tip:
1. Errors during booting:
If you get errors during the boot (after you created the kernel proper and made the bootloader)
*mounting sys at /sys
can't create lock file etc...
then edit fstab (nano -w /etc/fstab) it might be overwritten / reset due some strange reason (like in my case)

2. Kde + kernel 2.6.3
" help eject is being stupid and it won't let me compile kde "
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?p=875152#875152 < here is your anwser.
So be sure to use this " fix " before you compile kde (if you use kernel 2.6.x)

Good luck :) (And i really recommend to upgrade to the 2.6.3 kernel (gentoo-dev-sources)

/me am now a happy gentoo user :)

[edit]
Ok one thing i can't seem to get work proer, my via82xx (AC97) soundcard :getlost:
I saw " http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=97157&highlight=alsa+2+6+utils " but when i type amixer it doesnt find the file
and when i start i get this:
Code:
bash-2.05b# /etc/init.d/alsasound start
 * Loading ALSA drivers...
 * Using ALSA OSS emulation
 * Loading: snd-via82xx
FATAL: Module snd_via82xx not found.
 * Running card-dependent scripts
 * ERROR: Failed to load necessary drivers
 * Restoring Mixer Levels
 * No mixer config in /etc/asound.state, you have to unmute your card!           [ !! ]
                                                                                 [ ok ]
it won't find the module since i compiled it inbuild... any ideas?

(eagle sorry for using your gentoo forum, but i think it might help you to ...)

Last edited:

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
Occasionally I ran into that problem, the only way I could fix it was by compiling the driver into the kernel instead of as a module. :/

You could try modprobe and insmod manually, but it's not likely to work.

Malcolm

Not a Moderator
Falcon's kernel was screwed, we tried to work it out on IRC but he decided to completely recompile his system.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Malcolm said:
Falcon's kernel was screwed, we tried to work it out on IRC but he decided to completely recompile his system.

well now Im getting all kinds of errors and I think I'm just going to give up, this is the third time ive tried installing it. Gentoo looks like the only version of linux I might like because of its easy customizations but it just wont seem to work for me so I guess I'll just stick to windows.

Falcon4ever

Eagle said:
well now Im getting all kinds of errors and I think I'm just going to give up, this is the third time ive tried installing it. Gentoo looks like the only version of linux I might like because of its easy customizations but it just wont seem to work for me so I guess I'll just stick to windows.
Hehe i also installed it zillion times already ;)
but then again, this morning KDE was compiled ok and i could boot gentoo proper :) (even got msn/icq + irc working through kde's apps). And i could config my kernel etc...

I think i screwed something up while trying to get my sound working. That could be the reason why i couldn't use menuconfig anymore later this day (when i was talking to malc).

Anywayz don't give up ;) !

I've made a quick no-nonsense installguide of gentoo.
it contains a few parts of the original manual and some fixes from several sites and forums:

not finished yet but it might help ya eagle :)

(ok in my case i use an ati videocard but the nvidia part is explained here:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/desktop.xml#doc_chap2 )

*edit (i can't seem to change attachments)
manual contain one bug:
# mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo/boot must be
# mount /dev/hda2 /mnt/gentoo/boot
;)

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, Ive sucessfully installed Gentoo but GRUB wont use my root device as it should I did all of the following in Grub

Code:
root (hd1,0)
setup (hd0)
quit

then in grub.conf I added the following

Code:
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,0)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux 2.4.22
root (hd1,0)
kernel (hd1,0)/kernel-2.4.22-gentoo-r7 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc real_root=/dev/hdb3
initrd (hd1,0)/initrd-2.4.22

title=Windows XP Professional SP1
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

this wouldnt allow either gentoo or windows to boot, I had to fixmbr from the windows installer just to post this. The error it give for gentoo is that the root device (/dev/hdb3) is invalid. I really dont understand why that would be. It is a reiserfs filesystem. I did end up using genkernel (sucessfully) to compile the kernel because I couldnt figure out everything I needed when I tried to make it myself it just ended with errors. The installation should be complete if I could just get it to boot correctly.

Last edited:

Falcon4ever

hmm

could you post you hd partition layout?
(did you set your boot partition to boatable (turned on flag?))

config grub should be the easy part =/

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Falcon4ever said:
hmm

could you post you hd partition layout?
(did you set your boot partition to boatable (turned on flag?))

config grub should be the easy part =/

Alright

hda1 NTFS Nuff Said

hdb1 - 32M - boot - Linux - ext2
hdb2 - 512M - no boot - swap(type 82) - LinuxSwap
hdb3 - Everything Else - no boot - Linux - ReiserFS

hdc1 FAT32 Nuff Said

As you can see the boot partition's flag is turned on, the file types/partition sizes were the noob configuration in the guide and well thats pretty much it. I can try setting up grub again but I'm sure as heck not gonna overwrite the MBR on the Windows Hard Drive again. This time I'll write the MBR to the Linux drive and just change the boot device in the BIOS.

Last edited:

Falcon4ever

Eagle said:
Alright

hda1 NTFS Nuff Said

hdb1 - 32M - boot - Linux - ext2
hdb2 - 512M - no boot - swap(type 82) - LinuxSwap
hdb3 - Everything Else - no boot - Linux - ReiserFS

hdc1 FAT32 Nuff Said

As you can see the boot partition's flag is turned on, the file types/partition sizes were the noob configuration in the guide and well thats pretty much it. I can try setting up grub again but I'm sure as heck not gonna overwrite the MBR on the Windows Hard Drive again. This time I'll write the MBR to the Linux drive and just change the boot device in the BIOS.

really strange why gentoo won't boot up @ yours

You should really try a manual kernel config (like in my manual) grub will be a lot easier:
Code:
default 0
timeout 30
splashimage=(hd0,1)/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo
root (hd0,1)
kernel (hd0,1)/kernel-2.6.3 root=/dev/hda4

title=Windows XP
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1

anywayz. have you checked your /etc/fstab file? it might be overwritten due "etc-update" so try to see if everything there is proper. (and maybe you can post some of the errors?)

:linux:
*malc => got gentoo working with sound (without installing alsa :S, strange thing: user account doesn't have sound, root does)

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Falcon4ever said:
So... eagle keep us up2date ;)
what's your status atm ?
Oh I got sidetracked by the Lineage 2 beta I was accepted to. lol, Ive been spending all my free time playing.