What's new

Gentoo

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
AlphaWolf said:
Heres a rundown of my boot config (if it helps.)

Code:
login as: root
[email][email protected][/email]'s password:
Last login: Sun Mar  7 14:11:04 2004 from 192.168.1.1
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] mount /dev/hda1 /boot
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] cd /boot
[color=red]mediaserv boot #[/color] ls
System.map-2.4.25  bzImage       grub           lost+found
boot               bzImage.orig  kernel-2.4.25  oldbzImage
[color=red]mediaserv boot #[/color] cd grub
[color=red]mediaserv grub #[/color] ls
e2fs_stage1_5  grub.conf.sample  reiserfs_stage1_5  vstafs_stage1_5
fat_stage1_5   jfs_stage1_5      splash.xpm.gz      xfs_stage1_5
ffs_stage1_5   menu.lst          stage1
grub.conf      minix_stage1_5    stage2
[color=red]mediaserv grub #[/color] cat grub.conf
default 0
timeout 2
splashimage=(hd0,0)/boot/grub/splash.xpm.gz

title=Gentoo Linux
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/kernel-2.4.25 root=/dev/hda3

title=Failsafe Gentoo Kernel
root (hd0,0)
kernel (hd0,0)/boot/oldbzImage root=/dev/hda3
[color=red]mediaserv grub #[/color] cd ~
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] umount /boot
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] cat /etc/fstab
# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
# $Header: /home/cvsroot/gentoo-src/rc-scripts/etc/fstab,v 1.13 2003/07/17 19:55:18 azarah Exp $
#
# noatime turns off atimes for increased performance (atimes normally aren't
# needed; notail increases performance of ReiserFS (at the expense of storage
# efficiency).  It's safe to drop the noatime options if you want and to
# switch between notail and tail freely.

# <fs>                  <mountpoint>    <type>          <opts>                  <dump/pass>

# NOTE: If your BOOT partition is ReiserFS, add the notail option to opts.
/dev/hda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime          1 1
/dev/hda3               /               ext3            noatime                 0 0
/dev/hda2               none            swap            sw                      0 0
/dev/cdroms/cdrom0      /mnt/cdrom      iso9660         noauto,ro               0 0

# NOTE: The next line is critical for boot!
proc                    /proc           proc            defaults                0 0

# glibc 2.2 and above expects tmpfs to be mounted at /dev/shm for
# POSIX shared memory (shm_open, shm_unlink).
# (tmpfs is a dynamically expandable/shrinkable ramdisk, and will
#  use almost no memory if not populated with files)
# Adding the following line to /etc/fstab should take care of this:

none                    /dev/shm        tmpfs           defaults                0 0
[color=red]mediaserv root #[/color] exit
logout

Note that in order to use ext3, you have to enable journaling support in your kernel. I even have very generic (rare) hardware on this system, yet everything that I use works with gentoo.

Also, FWIW, this server used to run windows at one point, and ever since switching it to linux, its become so much easier to maintain, file transfers are so much faster, I can execute any process remotely, and I can perform remote administration or download files from the server securely from literally any PC that is connected to the internet. Plus I no longer have a mouse, keyboard, and monitor plugged into it, as they are completely unnecessary.

thanks for the info, I'm using reiserfs not ext3 and my linux installation is on the second hard drive. Other than that my system looks much like yours. I'm not sure what you were trying to help me with, the only thing I have left to fix is the eth0 not starting but I think I know whats wrong with it now, I uncommented one of the dhcp lines but I thought the other one was a different setting. I need to uncomment the dhcpcd_eth0="..." line as well.

Last edited:
OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
The question I have Alpha is what specific version of grub do you have installed?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Alright Ive got it all working, with the exception of the internet. I cant get it to emerge the tulip-devel package which knoppix uses to start my NC100 NIC card. It claims its masked but I cant find it in the list of hard maksked packages and I cant ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" either. It says it fails because of missing keyword. Any ideas?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Alright, I didnt see that before. Anyway, I enabled it and it still says "Failed to bring up eth0 Problem: netmount was not started".

What does this mean? Thanks.

Oh and I remember enabling something in my kernel that was supposeds to allow me to edit some of the kernel settings without actually re-compiling it. How is this done?

Slougi

/etc/init.d/netmount start before network stuff? Dunno, never saw that.

As for kernel stuff, it depends on what you want to adjust. Most likely somewhere in the /proc interface.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Slougi said:
/etc/init.d/netmount start before network stuff? Dunno, never saw that.

As for kernel stuff, it depends on what you want to adjust. Most likely somewhere in the /proc interface.

I think I found the problem. Apparently APIC can interfere with specific NIC cards when compiled into the kernel causing this error on many kernels other than vanilla-sources. I'm gonna go try this now.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=47746

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Alright, I got it all set up and working, I emerge KDE, whew that took forever. Anyway, still working on getting it running but things seem to be moving a lot smoother now. Thanks for all your help guys.

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Its all coming together now, Ive emerged Xfree, KDE, Firefox, Gaim, TVtime, and a game that I got addicted in to knoppix while I was waiting on the bootstrap phase called Enigma. Anyone want to reccomend a good replacement for Winamp?

The only problems Im having now is an error loading emu10k1 (the one I emerged, not the kernel built in module) but I think I'm going to remove OSS support and set up ALSA anyway.

Lex

Eagle said:
Its all coming together now, Ive emerged Xfree, KDE, Firefox, Gaim, TVtime, and a game that I got addicted in to knoppix while I was waiting on the bootstrap phase called Enigma. Anyone want to reccomend a good replacement for Winamp?
XMMS is a good one and mp3blaster for command line

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Lex said:
XMMS is a good one and mp3blaster for command line

that was a fast reply. XMMS is already installed too! About the sound card, I did just as it said to do. I disabled EMU10K1 support in the kernel, I enabled Sound and OSS support, compiled the kernel and emerged emu10k1, however it still fails to load. Any suggestions?

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
Alright nevermind, I got ALSA working well. So, all my hardware, including the tv-tuner is working! Now I can play. Muahahahaha. I can definately see myself installing this on my primary hard drive and using windows for nothing more than those few stubborn games *couch*Lineage 2*cough* that linux cant run.

Last edited:

Slougi

I use JuK which is included in KDE 3.2 for mp3's. I find it much superior to xmms. BTW, for better sound in KDE do this:

chmod +s `which artswrapper`

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
well I tried Juk but keep in mind Im familliar with Winamp, and the audio doesnt sound any better or worse, so XMMS is perfect because it looks just like Winamp. I think now that I have it installed I need to update world cause a lot came out while I was installing. I have Gentoo 2004.0 but the new KDE came out and the new xfree came out.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Eagle said:
well I tried Juk but keep in mind Im familliar with Winamp, and the audio doesnt sound any better or worse, so XMMS is perfect because it looks just like Winamp. I think now that I have it installed I need to update world cause a lot came out while I was installing. I have Gentoo 2004.0 but the new KDE came out and the new xfree came out.

The MAD plugin for winamp (which delivers the best sound quality possible for MP3's) originally came from XMMS, IIRC (either that or it was from mplayer.)

OP
Eagle

Eagle

aka Alshain
OK, how do I enable AA and Anistrophy without having to export it everytime I reboot?