What's new

D3D HAL issues

twistedlogic

Hello,

I am having issues getting Project64 to work. I have spent the past 48 hours (w/ virtually no sleep) trying to figure out what is going on. I keep getting the error message of "D3D failed to initialize your HAL device...". This is using a starndard PJ1.5(w/ SP1) install. Just using ol' Jabo's plugin. I have tried using older versions of the plugin, as well as the daedalus plugins. I have absolutly no idea as to what is going on. I suspect that it has to do with my hardware:

Athlon XP 1700
512MB PC2100
Radeon 9600 ULTRA (256MB)
Abit KT7-Lite (VIA 4 in 1's are installed)

I just got done building this emulator box and coding my own interface. I had PJ64 working on this machine, but it suddenly stopped, and wont work again. I have tried using every version of ATI's Catalyst video drivers from 3.7 to 4.2 (the latest). Also I have tried PJ64 1.3, 1.4, & 1.5 with every version of my video drivers. I do notice that I get a file dumped to my PJ64 dir called "DirectDraw6 Error.txt". The file is empty, but because of the name, I ran dxdiag and just made sure my DirectDraw was working, and it was. *DirectX 9.0b instaled, fyi*

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea on this cause, and if I can fix it somehow.

Any and all help would be very very appreciated, so thank you in advance.

Corrodias

quite mysterious. if this happened recently, perhaps you can think of any changes you may have made, related to directx or otherwise? there's the possibility of a System Restore on winxp... of course, it would be prudent to do a viral scan as well.

OP
T

twistedlogic

Corrodias said:
quite mysterious. if this happened recently, perhaps you can think of any changes you may have made, related to directx or otherwise? there's the possibility of a System Restore on winxp... of course, it would be prudent to do a viral scan as well.

Well, I just reformatted the box about 6 hours ago, and its not connected to the net, so there is no chance of it being a virus, and that pretty much eliminates changes made as well.

=\

PS What is the info for the IRC chan? I dont see network / chan name here, just the java client.

reallyjoel

I have the exact same problem, and it arose directly after upgrading from GF2 MX to Radeon 9600XT. When i run DirectX-based gfx-plugins, PJ65 crashes and displays that exact error msg, with OpenGL i get a steadily decreasing FPS, withing seconds it's down from 40 to 2, and then 1, 0.5, slower and slower..

1964 works just fine with my new Radeon though. I have latest catalyst drivers and latest directx api. winxp pro sp1.

Kaoss626

I seem to recall that sometimes I would sometimes get this error if I upgraded video drivers after installing directX. You could try re-installing directX.

reallyjoel

I just reinstalled directx, it did not solve the problem. I've also tried the 16bit desktop solution, before and after the reinstallation, no good either.

I still cant initialize any D3D plugin, and I still can't run any game in OpenGL, it's just a black screen, updating slower and slower down to a stand-still. There is sound though.

It would be great if any PJ64-coder or plugin-coder could comment on the ATI cards, especially my Radeon 9600XT.

RJARRRPCGP

The Rocking PC Wiz
twistedlogic said:
Hello,

I am having issues getting Project64 to work. I have spent the past 48 hours (w/ virtually no sleep) trying to figure out what is going on. I keep getting the error message of "D3D failed to initialize your HAL device...". This is using a starndard PJ1.5(w/ SP1) install. Just using ol' Jabo's plugin. I have tried using older versions of the plugin, as well as the daedalus plugins. I have absolutly no idea as to what is going on. I suspect that it has to do with my hardware:

Athlon XP 1700
512MB PC2100
Radeon 9600 ULTRA (256MB)
Abit KT7-Lite (VIA 4 in 1's are installed)

I just got done building this emulator box and coding my own interface. I had PJ64 working on this machine, but it suddenly stopped, and wont work again. I have tried using every version of ATI's Catalyst video drivers from 3.7 to 4.2 (the latest). Also I have tried PJ64 1.3, 1.4, & 1.5 with every version of my video drivers. I do notice that I get a file dumped to my PJ64 dir called "DirectDraw6 Error.txt". The file is empty, but because of the name, I ran dxdiag and just made sure my DirectDraw was working, and it was. *DirectX 9.0b instaled, fyi*

I was just wondering if anyone has any idea on this cause, and if I can fix it somehow.

Any and all help would be very very appreciated, so thank you in advance.

I randomly get the same problem, too but with Windows 98 SE and Catalyst 3.7,
often only if I change the video driver image quality settings until I reboot Windows 98 SE. It seems that Jabo's GFX 1.5.x plugin is finicky about video card drivers, while with Rice's GFX plugin, I haven't got any failed to initialize DirectX errors yet. I still have yet to see Rice's GFX plugin give me a failed to initialize DirectX error. Rice's plugin is heading towards being better than Jabo's GFX 1.5.x plugin and hasn't been giving me any initialization failure problems.

Last edited:

reallyjoel

I have tested the OpenGL plugins with 1964 instead, they run equally bad on 1964 (for reasons i really dont get..). So the actual problem with PJ64 im having is really just that i cant initialize any D3D plugins in it. The exact same D3D plugins run perfectly in 1964.

reallyjoel

i found out something new now, i browsed around for the D3D7-version of Jabo's plugins, and when i tried to initalize it, it said to make sure i hade a D3D 6 comaptible card. Hmm, why do my card need to compatible with D3D 6 when the plugin is for v7?

And maybe my crad isn't compatible with v6, DXDiag only runs tests for 7, 8 and 9. Im gonna look up if my card really supports v6. Though i always assumed 100% backwards compatability...

But if it turns out it doesnt, does it need to, for PJ64 to be able to initialize a D3D plugin?

Modem

ph33r teh hammy!
As it has already been said. This problem poped up when the newest drivers... I believe 2/12/04 got installed. Even I have the problems with that, I'm just lucky to have a couple spare Voodoo2's around. You can likely fix the problem by installing one or two month's prior drivers.

Trotterwatch

Just one small thing, you have to have Jabos plugin set to 16bit too (so if you've got it set to go 32bit on load, then that causes trouble too with the new drivers).

reallyjoel

okay, so how can i change the settings in the plugin to 16bit without being able to initialize it? can i set it up in 1964 and copy it over?

edit: tried doing just that, still no go.
oh well, guess im gonna have to look up some older drivers

Last edited: