What's new

best ePSXe 1.6 settings for Crono Cross

madprofessor

zito oi penses
Ok here goes:

My system is P4 2.54Ghz, Gforec4 Ti4200 (128MB), 512MB sys memory,
Windows XP (sp1).

GPU plugin: that would offcourse be Pete 1.75 D3D. the opengl verions 1.75, 2
kinda have some glitches for my system. in win9x/me they run faster i think.
After tons of tests i came up with this config settings that make gameplay smooth
with best visual quality:

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.75
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce4 Ti 4200

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]

Textures:
- R8G8A8A8
- Filtering: 2
- Hi-Res textures: 2
- VRam size: 0 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: 60

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2
- Framebuffer texture: 2
- Framebuffer access: 3
- Alpha multipass: on
- Mask bit: on
- Advanced blending: hardware

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: on
- Full vram: off
- Game fixes: on [00000800] (odd/even bit hack)

SPU plugin:Eternal SPU Plugin 1.41 defaults with Update before accessing register
special game fix checked. at the sound plugin selection screen of epsxe
i 've checked enable sound and enable XA sound, when i try to check enable spu IRQ hack just to see the effect the selection is not saved.

-noauto option is a must. i have it with the shortcut way:
Target: ...\epsxe160\ePSXe.exe -noauto

Visual quality is enough for me with all this and sound seems to be in normal speed.
The only thing bugging me is that the fps drop dramatically during the battle entering effect. That does not happen when the frame skip is checked but in that case there are music glitches all the time during gameplay :angry:
Any suggestions on that? :D

Lillymon

Ninja Princess
I wasn't aware the Chrono Cross used the Mask Bit function. Why is the odd/even bit hack on? Wasn't that problem fixed in the ePSXe 1.6.0 core?

BFeely

nVidia cards usually do best with the OpenGL plugin. Also, you need to use the -noauto command line parameter or the timing will be really bad and it will freeze up in battles.

Allnatural

BFeely said:
Also, you need to use the -noauto command line parameter or the timing will be really bad and it will freeze up in battles.
Read the original post before replying. :rolleyes:

Anyway, it's not unusual for the framerate to fall during the battle swirl. The framebuffer is used heavily in that sequence. I remember it working reasonably well with my GF3, but I don't remember the exact settings I used. Try different combinations with the framebuffer textures and framebuffer access, though I don't think you'll remove the slowdown entirely. The software plugin is fast with the framebuffer effects of course, just not as pretty overall unfortunately.

Nighty0

Gentoo n00b
You can use less framebuffer effects, but with this i have some "garbage" when the game uses the FB......
OGL2 plugin should be more accurate in videocards that plugin have support (GFFX5600+, Radeon9600+) you can can test in your gf4ti too.. :)

I can use the OGL2 plugin with the same settings at 1024x768/32b/72Hz with a little slowdowns in FB effects...

Last edited:
OP
madprofessor

madprofessor

zito oi penses
I really have to use this frame buffer options in order to get the battle swirl to render.
note that if i enable frame skip the swirl is just fine in normal speed but i then get sound glitches all the time during game play.
when i use opengl it is all really slow. i dont know why but i'm pretty sure that it is because of my os (winxp). a friend of mine with winme is using opengl and it is ok.